On 21st January 2019, the celebration of 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas was commenced in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. Prime Minister of Mauritius, Mr. Pravind Jugnauth was the chief Guest of Convention. The theme of this year’s Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) convention was “Role of Indian Diaspora in building New India”. The Celebration of 15th PBD was concluded on 23rd January 2019.
Prime Minister inaugurated 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas Convention in Varanasi
On 22nd January 2019, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated the 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas convention in the presence of Prime Minister of Mauritius, Mr. Pravind Jagnauth at Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh.
- Mr. Himanshu Gulati who is a Member of Parliament of Norway was the Special Guest whereas Mr. Kanwaljit Singh Bakshi, Member of Parliament of New Zealand was the Guest of Honor in the 15th edition of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas.
- For the first time that the PBD celeberation was held on 21-23 January instead of 9th January keeping in view the sentiments of larger diaspora to participate in Kumbh Mela and Republic Day Celebrations.
- On 21st January 2019, inauguration of Youth Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas was held in partnership with Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- Government of Uttar Pradesh organized the State Pravasi Bharatiya Divas -2019 on 21st January 2019.
About Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is celebrated once in every two years in order to provide a platform to the overseas Indian Community from all over the world to engage with the government. The Decision to celebrate Pravasi Bharatiya Divas was taken by former Prime Minister of India, Atal Bihari Vajpayee and the 1st edition of PBD was held on 9th January 2003 in New Delhi. Mahatma Gandhi returned to India from South Africa on 9th January 1915, therefore 9th January was chosen as the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas.
♦ Capital: Port Louis
♦ President: Barlen Vyapoory
♦ Prime Minister: Pravind Jagnauth
♦ Currency: Mauritian rupee
PM inaugurates Centers of Excellence at Deen Dayal Hastkala Sankul in Varanasi
On 22nd January 2019, Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated the Centers of Excellence at Deen Dayal Hastkala Sankul, which is a complex dedicated to the handicrafts of the region at Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh.
- Prime Minister released two books which are “Kashi: The Universe of Crafts and Textiles” and “Indian Textiles: History, splendor, Grandeur”.
- Further, a plaque was unveiled was Prime Minister, Narendra Modi to mark the inauguration of an Integrated Textile Office Complex at Chowkaghat in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
About Uttar Pradesh
♦ Capital: Lucknow
♦ Governor: Ram Naik
♦ Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
♦ National Parks: Dudhwa National Park
President of India addressed the convention and presented the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards
On 23rd January 2019, President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind delivered the Valedictory address in the closing session of 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention and presented the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards at Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh.
- In the Valedictory address, Shri Ram Nath Kovind said that the Indian Diaspora is one of the largest in the world and motivated the Diaspora to contribute towards the growth of India.
- President of India presented the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards to 30 Non Resident Indians (NRIs), Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) and organizations run by NRIs or PIOs.
- IMF chief Gita Gopinath, Norwegian MP Himanshu Gulati and South African Diplomat Anil Sooklal are some of the eminent persons to receive the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards.
Mauritius to organise First International Bhojpuri Festival
On 22nd January 2019, Mauritius Prime Minister, Mr. Pravind Jugnauth announced in his address as the Chief Guest at inauguration of the 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas at Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh that Mauritius will organize the first Bhojpuri Festival in 2020.
It was also announced by Mr. Pravind Jaugnauth that Mauritius will hold a Bhagwad Gita Mahotsav in partnership with the Haryana Government in February 2019.