14th ASEAN-India Summit and the 11th East Asia Summit held in Vientiane, Laos PDR with the invitation of H.E. Mr. Thongloun Sisoulith, Prime Minister of Lao PDR. The Summits was attended by Heads of State/Government of the 10 ASEAN and 18 East Asia Summit Participating Countries respectively. In the margins, Prime Minister will also hold bilateral meetings with several leaders.
About ASEAN-INDIA Summit :
The ASEAN – India Commemorative Summit was an international meeting which India hosted to mark the 20th year anniversary of the ASEAN – India dialogue relations and 10-years of its summit level partnership.
- The summit was held from 20 to 21 December 2012 in New Delhi, India. The India-ASEAN relationship was elevated to a “strategic” partnership at the 2012 meeting.
- To commemorate 20 years of relationship between ASEAN and India, India hosted the ASEAN–India Commemorative Summit on the theme “ASEAN-India Partnership for Peace and Shared Prosperity” in New Delhi on December 20–21, 2012.
- The commemorative summit included the Plenary Session on 20 December and Ceremonial Flag-down of the ASEAN-India Car Rally on 21 December. The commemorative summit was attended by the Heads of States of the 10 ASEAN countries and Indian Prime Minister Dr.Manmohan Singh.
- A series of flagship events, meetings and workshops were organised through the year 2012. Part of these flagship events included the 2nd ASEAN-India Car Rally and the ASEAN expedition of the sail training ship INS Sudarshini of the Indian Navy.
- ASEAN is a key partner for our Act East Policy, which is vital for the economic development of our Northeastern region. Our strategic partnership with ASEAN is also important for safeguarding and promoting our security interests and countering traditional and non-traditional security challenges in the region. East Asia Summit is the premier forum for discussions on the challenges and opportunities before the Asia Pacific region.
About East Asia Summit :
The East Asia Summit (EAS) is a forum held annually by leaders of, initially, 16 countries in the East Asian, Southeast Asianand South Asian Membership expanded to 18 countries including the United States and Russia at the Sixth EAS in 2011. EAS meetings are held after annual ASEAN leaders’ meetings. The first summit was held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on 14 December 2005.
- The concept of an East Asia Grouping has significant history going back to an idea first promoted in 1991 by then Malaysian Prime MinisterMahathir Mohamad.
- The final report in 2002 of the East Asian Study Group, established by theASEAN Plus Three countries, was based on an EAS involving ASEAN Plus Three, therefore not involving Australia, New Zealand, or India.
- The EAS as proposed was to be an ASEAN-led development, with the summit to be linked to ASEAN summit meetings. However, the issue was to which countries beyond those in ASEAN the EAS was to be extended
- The decision to hold the EAS was reached during the 2004 ASEAN Plus Three summit and the initial 16 members determined at the ASEAN Plus Three Ministerial Meeting held inLaos at the end of July 2005.
- Credit for advancing the forum during the 2004 ASEAN Plus Three summit has been attributed to Malaysia.
A Joint Task Force :
Prime Minister Narendra Modi proposed a joint task force on connectivity in India-ASEAN Region to work on extension of India-Myanmar-Thailand trilateral highways to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam during the 14th ASEAN-India Summit at Vientiane, Laos.
- Stating natural disasters as common challenge and joint priority, Prime Minister Modi declared that India will host the Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction in November.
- India-ASEAN relations are driven by common priorities, bringing peace, stability and prosperity to the region.
- In order to enhance the ASEAN-India granting a fund with an additional grant of 50 million US dollars in the area of Science & Technology and India is willing to march with ASEAN to fulfill promise and potential of engagement.