On 20th February 2023, the Jury Committee chaired by Arjun Ram Meghwal, Union Minister of State (MoS) for Parliamentary Affairs nominated 13 members of Parliament (MP) : 5 from Rajya Sabha and 8 from Lok Sabha for the Sansad Ratna Awards (2023).
- In addition, T K Rangarajan, Former Member of Parliament – Rajya Sabha for two terms and a Senior Communist Party of India (Marxist)(CPI-M) Leader has been nominated for the Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Lifetime Achievement Award.
- 2 Departmentally Related Standing Committees (DRSC) were also selected for the Sansad Ratna Awards under special awards category.
The 13th Sansad Ratna Awards (2023) will be presented on 25th March 2023 in New Delhi, Delhi.
The 13th Edition will be making history as it crosses the century of awards mark.
About the Jury:
The Jury Committe chaired by Arjun Ram Meghwal includes eminent Parliamentarians and civil society.
Co-chair: T S Krishnamurthy Former Chief Election Commissioner of India.
- NK Premachandran MP Kerala
- Supriya Sule MP Maharashtra
- Shrirang Appa Barne MP Maharashtra
- Srinivasa Prabhu Retired joint Secretary, Lok Sabha Secretariat
- The nominations of the jury were based on the cumulative performance from the beginning of 17th Lok Sabha until the end of Winter Session 2022 .
- The performance data of the members has been sourced from data provided by PRS India, Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha Secretariat.
Sansad Ratna Awardees for 2023:
Lok Sabha: Bidyut Baran Mahato, Dr. Sukanta Majumdar, Kuldeep Rai Sharma, Dr Heena Vijayakumar Gavit, Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury, Gopal Chinayya Shetty, Sudhir Gupta , and Amol Ramsing Kolhe were nominated for ‘Sansad Ratna Awards 2023’ for their performance in the 17th Lok Sabha under various categories.
i.Dr. John Brittas, Dr. Manoj Kumar Jha, Fauzia Tahseen Ahmed Khan have been nominated for their performances in Rajya Sabha in 2022 under the ‘Sitting Members’ category.
ii.Vishambhar Prasad Nishad, and Chhaya Verma have been nominated for the Award under the ‘Rajya Sabha Members Retired in 2022’ category.
The Finance Committee of Lok Sabha chaired by Jayant Sinha, BJP, Jharkhand and Transport, Tourism and Culture Committee of Rajya Sabha chaired by Vijayasai Reddy, YSR Congress, Andhra Pradesh were nominated for the award.
- Since the past 6 years, the standing committees are honoured by the Prime Point Foundation and eMagazine PreSense, based on the subjects selected, sittings and reports presented.
Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Lifetime Achievement Award:
Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Lifetime Achievement Award was introduced by Prime Point Foundation and PreSense in 2022 to honour the veteran leaders for their contribution to Indian politics, the society and the people.
- T K Rangarajan was nominated for the Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Lifetime Achievement Award for 2023.
|Name of the Award||Awardee|
|Excellence Award- General – Overall Tally||Bidyut Baran Mahato (Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Jharkhand)|
|Excellence Award- First Time MP – Total Tally||Kuldeep Rai Sharma (Indian National Congress (INC), Andaman Nicobar Islands)|
|Dr. Sukanta Majumdar (BJP, West Bengal)|
|Excellence Award- Women MP – Overall Tally||Heena Vijayakumar Gavit (BJP, Maharashtra),|
|Topper in Initiated Debates||Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury (INC, West Bengal),|
|Topper in Private Members Bills||Gopal Chinayya Shetty (BJP, Maharashtra),|
|Topper in Questions||Sudhir Gupta (BJP, Madhya Pradesh)|
|Dr. Amol Ramsing Kolhe (Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), Maharashtra)|
|Excellence Award- Sitting MPs – General – Total Tally||Dr. John Brittas (CPI-M, Kerala),|
|Dr. Manoj Kumar Jha (Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD), Bihar)|
|Excellence Award- Sitting MPs – Women MP – Total Tally||Fauzia Tahseen Ahmed Khan (NCP, Maharashtra)|
|Excellence Award- Retired MPs – Total Tally||Vishambhar Prasad Nishad|
(Samajwadi Party, UP)
|Chhaya Verma (INC, Chhattisgarh)|
|Excellence Award – Lok Sabha Committee||Finance Committee|
Chairman: Jayant Sinha (BJP, Jharkhand)
|Excellence Award – Rajya Sabha Committee||Transport, Tourism, and Culture Committee|
Chairman: V Vijayasai Reddy – YSR Congress, Andhra Pradesh
|Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Lifetime Achievement Award.||T K Rangarajan Former Rajya Sabha MP, CPI(M), Tamil Nadu|
About Sansad Ratna Award:
Sansad Ratna Award honouring the top performing Parliamentarians was instituted based on the suggestion of former President of India (Late) Dr APJ Abdul Kalam.
The inaugural edition of the awards were launched by Dr APJ Abdul Kalam in 2010 in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Mr. K. Srinivasan is the Founder Chairman and Priyadharshni Rahul is the President of the Sansad Ratna Awards Committee.
About Ministry of Parliamentary Affair:
Union Minister- Pralhad Joshi (Constituency- Dharwad, Karnataka)
Minister of State– Arjun Ram Meghwal(Constituency- Bikaner, Rajasthan) & V Muraleedharan (Rajya sabha – Maharashtra)