Department of Biotechnology under Union Ministry of Science and Technology has implemented Biodesign Programme with an objective to develop innovative and affordable medical devices as per unmet clinical needs of India. Under this programme, 11th Annual MedTech Summit was organised in New Delhi on December 2, 2017.
Highlights of 11 Annual MedTech Summit of Biodesign Programme:
The summit was inaugurated by Union Minister of Science & Technology, Earth Sciences and Environment, Forests & Climate Change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
- Leaders of Government organisations, medical device industry, hospitals, business and engineering institutes from Australia, Finland, Canada, Germany, Japan, India, Singapore, UK and USA attended this Summit.
- During the event, Dr. Harsh Vardhan launched ‘Noxeno’, a nasal foreign body removal device.
- ‘Noxeno’ has been developed by Bengaluru-based start-up, InnAccel Technologies Private Limited, and has been created by the Fellow trained under the Biodesign program. ‘Noxeno’ has been 100% invented, designed, engineered and made in India.
About Biodesign Programme:
Biodesign programme is jointly implemented by Department of Biotechnology at All India Institutes of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) and Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi in collaboration with International partners.
- The objective of this programme is not only to develop innovative and affordable medical devices as per unmet clinical needs of India but also to train India’s next generation of medical technology innovators for manifesting such impactful devices in the real world.
- The ultimate goal is to establish a National Biodesign Alliance which facilitates sharing of ideas, resources, infrastructure and expertise available with the stakeholders in the areas of implants, devices and diagnostics in India
- Biotech Consortium India Limited has been authorised for management of this programme’s Intellectual Property and other techno-legal activities.
- Based on success of this programme, various Centres such as Centre for Bioscience and Bioengineering at IISc-Bangalore, Healthcare Technology Innovation Centre at IIT-Madras and Centre for Biodesign at Translational Health Science & Technological Institute (THSTI), Faridabad have also been established.