On 26th September 2017, ten scientists were awarded Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize, at a function held at Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), in New Delhi.
Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award:
i.The event was conducted by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).President Mr.Ram Nath Kovind presided over the function.
ii.Every year Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) selects 8-10 scientists, below the age of 45, form various institutions and honours them with Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award.
iii.The scientists are recognised for outstanding scientific work in the last five years.
The winners of this year’s Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award are listed below:
- Biological Sciences – Deepak Nair, Regional Centre for Biotechnology, Faridabad & Sanjeev Das, National Institute of Immunology, Delhi
- Chemical Sciences – Naresh Patwari, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- Earth Sciences – Suresh Babu, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Thiruvananthapuram
- Engineering Services – Aloke Paul and Neelesh Mehta, Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru
- Medical Sciences – Amit Dutt, Tata Memorial Centre, Mumbai & Deepak Gaur, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- Physical Sciences – Nissim Kanekar, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Pune & Vinay Gupta, National Physical Laboratory, Delhi
There were no awards this year for the mathematical sciences.
This is the second consecutive year with no women recipients for the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award.Since 2013, only two women have been awarded.
About Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR):
Purpose – largest research and development organisation in India
Location – New Delhi
Chairman – Prime Minister Mr.Narendra Modi
Director General – Dr.Girish Sahni