Expected visit: Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit US next month.
Two top American senators :
- Mark Warner and John Cornyn
- Introduced a legislation passed by Congress.
- To elevate the status of the Indo US defence relationship on par with that of America’s closest allies like NATO and Israel.
The US India Defence Technology and Partnership Act:
i. The legislation has been sent to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for necessary action.
ii. US government’s focus on the US India security relationship while sending a powerful signal to India that the US is a reliable and dependable defence partner.
iii. This bill supports strengthening our bilateral relationship partner in promoting security in Asia. iv. India has huge potential as a market for US defence manufacturers, which support millions of American jobs.
v. The bill puts India equal with America’s closest defence partners, including NATO member states and Israel
Purpose: Congressional defence sales notifications.
Features of the bill:
- It encourages the executive branch to designate an official to focus on US India defence cooperation.
- Facilitate the transfer of defence technology.
- Maintain a special office in the Pentagon dedicated exclusively to the US India Defence Technology.
- It urges the US government to enhance India’s military capabilities in the context of combined military planning.
- Promote coproduction and codevelopment opportunities.
- It encourages the government to authorise combined military planning with the US for missions of mutual interest.