Kerala Tourism, Government of Kerala has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the UN (United Nations) Women India to boost women-friendly activities in the tourism sector of Kerala.
The MoU was signed by P.B. Nooh Director of Kerala Tourism and Susan Ferguson, UN Women India Representative during the first-ever Global Responsible Tourism Summit 2023 (25 to 28th February 2023) at Kumarakom, Kerala.
- Objective: To work towards promoting women-friendly tourism in Kerala with a focus on women empowerment.
i.Under the MoU, UN Women will support Kerala Tourism in developing reports and material related to women-friendly tourism and their publication.
ii.Synergies will be built with other flagship programmes of the state and help in rectifying social attitudes that are checking gender-inclusive public spaces in tourism.
iii.Tourism Minister P.A. Mohamed Riyas stated the MoU as a continuation of the state government’s renewed efforts towards women-friendly tourism.
-JFE Engineering Ltd to provide technical support to Kerala’s 1st waste-to-energy plant
Chief Minister of Kerala, Pinarayi Vijayan announced the agreement made with Japan-based JFE Engineering Limited to provide technical support to Kerala’s first waste-to-energy treatment plant at Kozhikode, Kerala.
- Keiichi Nagaya, Director, Head of Overseas Business and Environmental Solution Sector, JFE Engineering Limited met with Pinarayi Vijayan and assured assistance for the waste-to-energy plant.
- The Kerala government plans to complete the construction of the plant within 2 years.
- JFE Engineering Limited has experience installing more than 350 waste disposal plants across the world.
- The firm has assured cooperation in the fields of technology and construction for the project.
- Other Participants: JFE Engineering Limited’s India Managing Director B G Kulkarni, Zonta Infratech MD Raj Kumar also participated in the meeting.
Recent Related News:
The Geographical Indication (GI) Tag has been granted by the Government of India (GoI) to 9 new products from different states, including the Attappady Aattukombu Avara, Alibag White Onion, Raktsey Karpo Apricot, Tandur Redgram, and Gamosa of Assam. Out of the 9 GI tags that are granted, five are for products from Kerala.
About UN Women:
It is the United Nations entity dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women.
Headquarters – New York, USA
Establishment – July 2010
Executive Director – Ms. Sima Bahous