This is the first time, since Independence, North East Region (NER) organised an International Conference on Biotechnology.
The events were themed upon Reimagine Ethnopharmacology: Globalisation of Traditional Medicine
The events were organized by the Institute of Bio-resources and Sustainable Development (IBSD) in collaboration with Society for Ethno-pharmacology, India and the International Society for Ethno-pharmacology, Switzerland.
700 International and National delegates representing over 35 countries
i.Under this event, several entrepreneurs from NER have shared their knowledge for the development of products/ processes/ technologies with value addition of bio-resources and development bio-economy from bio-resources of NER.
ii.IBSD has organised Industry-Connect (I-Connect) events in many states including Manipur, Mizoram, Sikkim, Meghalaya for developing collaboration between industries and institutes.
- It has also setup Bio Incubators Nurturing Entrepreneurship for Scaling Technologies (BioNEST) incubator at IBSD, Node Meghalaya to develop women entrepreneurship in Meghalaya.
iii.IBSD is working on therapeutic areas like antiviral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and insect repellents, anti-diabetic, anti-arthritis, bronchial asthma, gastro-protectives and immuno-modulation.
- All the research perspectives of IBSD are focused on the development of bio-economy from bio-resources with special reference to NER
iv.India has developed four indigenous Vaccines in just two years viz.
- ZyCoV-D World’s 1st and India’s indigenously developed DNA Vaccine
- CORBEVAXTM- India’s first protein subunit vaccine
- GEMCOVAC™-19 – World’s 1st and India’s indigenously developed mRNA vaccine
- iNCOVACC-World’s 1st and India’s indigenously developed intranasal COVID-19 Vaccine.
v.IBSD has established a “Science Museum” at Maha Union Govt. Higher Secondary School, Chandel, an Aspirational district of Manipur.
vi.The joint initiative between the IBSD and International Society for Ethno-pharmacology, Switzerland will continue in future.
Recent Related News:
i.The Make in Odisha Conclave 2022 (3rd edition), a biennial global investors’ meet and the flagship investor summit of the Government of Odisha, took place in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, from November 30 to December 4, 2022.
ii.On December 5, 2022 i.e. on the occasion of World Soil Day (WSD), and on the lines of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, the National Conclave on Soil Health Management for Sustainable Farming 2022 was inaugurated at New Delhi, Delhi by the Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar, Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare (MoA&FW) as its Chief Guest.
About Institute of Bio-resources and Sustainable Development (IBSD):
It is an autonomous institute under the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology.
Director– Prof. Pulok Kumar Mukherjee
Headquarters– Imphal, Manipur