AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 29 January 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- How many wetland sites from India was declared as Ramsar sites recently making the total count 37 ?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) 10
On January 28, 2020 in an effort to improve the conservation, restoration and rejuvenation of wetlands, the Ramsar Convention has declared 10 more wetland sites from India as sites of national importance. Ramsar sites are those which are declared under the Ramsar Convention signed in 1971 to preserve wetlands of national importance. Thus India now has a total of 37 Ramsar sites covering an area of 1,067,939 hectares.
- Nandur Madhameshwar was added to the Ramsar site recently, it is located in which state ?
2) West Bengal
4) Madhya Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Maharashtra
Nandur Madhameshwar was added to Ramsar site recently.It is the 1st Ramsar site of Maharashtra. The 10 newly added Ramsar sites are as follows: Nandur Madhameshwar: This is the 1st Ramsar site of Maharashtra. Keshopur-Miani, Beas Conservation Reserve, Nangal: These 3 ramsar sites are newly added to Punjab. Apart from these 3 sites, Punjab already has 3 ramsar sites. Thus the total ramsar sites in the states counts to 6. Nawabganj, Parvati Agra, Saman, Samaspur, Sandi and SarsaiNawar: These 6 Ramsar sites have been newly added to Uttar Pradesh (UP) apart from 1 ramsar site it already had. Thus, UP now has 7 Ramsar sites.
- Where was the World’s largest meditation centre inaugurated to mark the 75th anniversary of the formation of Shri Ram Chandra Mission (SRCM) and Heartfulness Institute ?
1) Kolkata, West Bengal
2) Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
3) Hyderabad, Telangana
4) Bhubaneswar, Odisha
5) New Delhi, Delhi
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Hyderabad, Telangana
On January 28, 2020 the World’s largest meditation centre was inaugurated at Kanha Shanti Vanam in Hyderabad, Telangana to mark the 75th anniversary of the formation of Shri Ram Chandra Mission (SRCM) and Heartfulness Institute. The center is dedicated to the first guide of Heartfulness Lalaji Maharaji. It can accommodate 1 lakh practitioners at a time. To celebrate the 75th anniversary, special sessions will be addressed by President Ram Nath Kovind on February 2, 2020 and social activist Anna Hazare on February 8, 2020.
- By which month, Government of India (GoI) is set to release the report card of 100 selected smart cities ?
1) August, 2020
2) June, 2020
3) March, 2020
4) April, 2020
5) July, 2020
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) June, 2020
The Government of India (GoI) is to release the report card of 100 selected smart cities in June, 2020 as the Smart Cities Mission completes its five year. This report will be released in three categories, namely ease of living index, municipal performance index and climatic index. Ease of Living index: Under this index 35 percent weightage will be given “to quality of life”, 20 percent to “sustainability”, 20 percent to “economic viability” and 30 percent to “citizen participation”. Municipal Performance index: Under this index 30 percent weightage will be given for “services”, 20 percent for “finance”, 15 percent for “technology”, 15 percent for “planning”, 20 percent for “governance”. Climatic index: Under this index cities will be ranked for promoting environment related issues.
- Name the animal, that will be introduced in India from Namibia .
1) African Leopard
3) Acinonyx kurteni
4) African cheetah
5) Asiatic cheetah
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) African cheetah
On January 28, 2020 the Supreme Court(SC) has allowed the govt. to introduce African Cheetah in a suitable wildlife habitat in India including Kuno-Palpur (Kuno National Park) in Madhya Pradesh. The decision was taken after a petition was filed by National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) to introduce the African Cheetah from Namibia as the rare Indian Cheetah that has become almost extinct in India. A 3-member committee was set up to take a decision on this issue. The committee comprised of former Director of Wildlife Trust of India(WTI) Shri Ranjit Singh; Director General(DG) of Wildlife of India Shri Dhananjay Mohan; and Deputy Inspector General(DIG), Wildlife under the Ministry of Environment and Forests(MoE&F).
- Name the scheme, that faces fund crunch as 96% funds has been spent .
1) Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana (PMMY)
2) Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-dhan (PM-SYM)
3) Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana
4) Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN)
5) Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA)
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA)
On January 26, 2020, as per Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) scheme’s financial statement, the govt is on the verge of running out of funds for the MGNREGA scheme. It has been announced that more than 96% of the allocated money to the fund has been spent and is still needed to pay the pending dues. Less than Rs. 2500 crore is left to sustain the scheme for the next two months.
- Where was the India’s 1st & biggest ‘walk-through’ aviary inaugurated ?
1) Byculla Zoo in Mumbai, Maharashtra
2) Indira Gandhi Zoological Park in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
3) Jawaharlal Nehru Biological Park, Jharkhand
4) Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park in Darjeeling, West Bengal
5) Nandankanan Zoological Park in Bhubaneswar, Odisha
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Byculla Zoo in Mumbai, Maharashtra
On January 26, 2020, Chief Minister of Maharashtra Uddhav Thackeray inaugurated the country’s first and biggest ‘walk-through’ aviary in Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Udyan and Zoo also known as Byculla Zoo in Mumbai, Maharashtra.The aviary is spread over in 18,234 sq ft, is 44 feet tall and consists of 100 species of Indian and exotic birds.The special enclosures for animals like bears, hyenas, leopards, fox, barasingha and antelope are completed and Asiatic Lion, tigers will be included soon.
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved the National Commission for Homeopathy Bill (NCH) 2019.It will amend which of the following act ?
1) Homoeopathy Central Council (HCC) Act, 1971
2) Homoeopathy Central Council (HCC) Act, 1972
3) Homoeopathy Central Council (HCC) Act, 1973
4) Homoeopathy Central Council (HCC) Act, 1974
5) Homoeopathy Central Council (HCC) Act, 1975
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Homoeopathy Central Council (HCC) Act, 1973
The CCEA has approved for the official amendments in the National Commission for Homeopathy Bill (NCH)2019. This bill which is currently pending in the Rajya Sabha, will amend the Homoeopathy Central Council (HCC) Act, 1973. Amendment features: The amendment will make reforms in the field of Homoeopathy education and enable transparency and accountability to protect the interest of the public. Through these amendments, affordable healthcare services will be enhanced.
- How much percentage of North Eastern Council’s (NEC’s) allocation will be dispensed for new projects in deprived areas under the already existing “Schemes of North Eastern Council” ?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) 30%
The CCEA has given its approval to allocate 30% North Eastern Council’s (NEC’s) allocation for new projects under the already existing “Schemes of North Eastern Council”.Focus areas: This 30% allocation is to focus on the development of deprived areas; deprived/neglected sections of society & emerging priority sectors in the North eastern States. The remaining allocation will be bifurcated into 2 components with the State component’s share being 60% & the central component’s share being 40%.
- Productivity-Linked Reward (PLR) Scheme of which of the following labour was extended beyond 2017-18 by Cabinet recently ?
1) Food Public and Distribution Labour
2) Testing and Quality Labour
3) Organic Chemicals & Fertilizers Labour
4) Port Trust & Dock Labour
5) Drugs and Pharmaceuticals Labour
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Port Trust & Dock Labour
The CCEA has given its approval to extend the already existing Productivity Linked Reward (PLR) Scheme beyond 2017-18. The extension will be made applicable until any changes/ amendments made in the scheme. Scheme benefits: PLR scheme boosts industrial relationship and the work atmosphere in the Port Sector, apart from generating productivity.
- What is the upper limit for abortions of special category women raised from 20 weeks by cabinet recently?
1) 24 weeks
2) 21 weeks
3) 22 weeks
4) 25 weeks
5) 28 weeks
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) 24 weeks
The CCEA has given its approval to the Medical Termination of Pregnancy (Amendment) Bill, 2020. This bill which will be introduced in parliament soon will amend the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act, 1971. Opinion on pregnancy termination: Opinion of 1 provider to terminate pregnancy up to 20 weeks of gestation (period of development inside the womb) will be required. For 20-24 weeks opinion of 2 providers will be required for termination. 24 week gestation limit: Upper gestation limit from 20 to 24weeks will be defined in the amendments to MTP (Medical Termination of Pregnancy) rules for special category women. The special category includes survivors of rape, victims of incest, differently-abled women, Minors etc.
- Name the e-commerce firm that has signed an MoU with the Gujarat State Handloom and Handicrafts Development Corporation Ltd (GSHHDC) for the promotion of local handicrafts .
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Flipkart
On January 28,2020, Flipkart Private Limited, an Indian e-commerce company, has entered into an MoU (memorandum of understanding) with the Gujarat State Handloom and Handicrafts Development Corporation Ltd (GSHHDC) for the promotion of local handicrafts by bringing on board thousands of artisans, weavers and craftsmen. The agreement is a part of Flipkart’s “Samarth” initiative & was signed in the presence of Gujarat chief minister (CM) Vijay Ramniklal Rupani at an event held in Rajkot, Gujarat.
- Which country has launched a £4 Mn (about Rs 37 crore) ‘Innovation Challenge Fund’ in India at an event in Pune, Maharashtra ?
2) United Kingdom (UK)
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) United Kingdom (UK)
On January 28, 2020, The government of UK (United Kingdom) has launched a £4 Mn (about Rs 37 crore) ‘Innovation Challenge Fund’ in India at an event in Pune, Maharashtra. The fund is focused on 2 main tech platforms including artificial intelligence (AI) and big data in Karnataka and future mobility in Maharashtra.The fund, which is one of several new initiatives of the UK-India Tech Partnership, is aimed to boost industry and academia to collaborate & develop tech solutions to social, economic and environmental challenges in India.
- Which Indian firm was appointed as project management consultant (PMC) for about 300 MW (MegaWatt) of solar power projects by West African country, Togo?
1) National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC)
2) Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
3) Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
4) NHPC Limited
5) Power Grid Corporation Of India
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC)
On January 28, 2020,According to the Power Ministry, Government of India (GoI), West African country Togo has appointed NTPC ( formerly known as National Thermal Power Corporation Limited), India’s largest energy conglomerate, as its project management consultant (PMC) for about 300 MW (MegaWatt) of solar power projects in Togo. Togo has identified 2 different plots of land- one each of 70 and 500 acres in Dapaong (Dalwak region) & Mango (Savanes region ) respectively, that will combine to produce 283 MW. With this, Togo become the 1st ISA (International Solar Alliance ) nation to get the services of NTPC.
- Name the EX-RBI & EX-SEBI Executive Director, who was appointed as the Non-Executive Chairman of Vakrangee Limited as per the Nomination & Remuneration Committee chaired by Mrs. Farida Khambata .
1) Ananta Barua
2) G. Mahalingam
3) S. K. Mohanty
4) Madhabi Puri Buch
5) Ramesh Joshi
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Ramesh Joshi
On January 27, 2020, Vakrangee Limited, a technology company, has appointed Mr. Ramesh Joshi (EX-RBI (Reserve Bank of India & EX-SEBI (Securities and Exchange Board of India) ED- Executive Director) as its Non-Executive Chairman on the lines of Kotak’s board constituted Nomination & Remuneration Committee chaired by Mrs. Farida Khambata. The company also appoints Mr. Dinesh Nandwana, Executive Chairman as its Managing Director (MD) and Group CEO, replacing Mr. Anil Khanna.
- To which country, Taranjit Singh Sandhu was appointed as Indian Ambassador on January 28, 2020 ?
3) United States of America (USA)
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) United States of America (USA)
On January 28, 2020 diplomat Taranjit Singh Sandhu has been appointed as India’s Ambassador to the United States of America (USA). He succeeded Harsh Vardhan Shringla who will take charge as the next foreign secretary. The appointment was confirmed by the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).1988-batch Indian Foreign Service officer (IFS), Taranjit Singh Sandhu currently serves as the High Commissioner of India in Sri Lanka.
- Who was appointed as the new Prime Minister (PM) of Qatar succeeding Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al-Thani ?
1) Khalifa bin Hamad Al Thani
2) Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani
3) Abdullah bin Khalifa Al Thani
4) Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz Al Thani
5) Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz Al Thani
On January 28,2020 Tamim bin Hamad AI Thani, Emir of Qatar appointed Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz Al Thani as new Prime Minister (PM) of Qatar, Doha. He is the successor of Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al-Thani who has resigned from the post. Sheikh Khalid is currently serving as the chief of the Amiri Diwan, the emir’s office.Sheikh Khalid was born in Doha in 1968 and obtained a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration in the United States of America in 1993.
- Alastair Nathan Cook and ex-West Indies team manager Richard ‘Ricky’ Skerritt were appointed as the new members of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), World Cricket Committee. Alastair Nathan Cook belongs to which country ?
3) New Zealand
4) Sri Lanka
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) England
On January 27, 2020, Former England opener Alastair Nathan Cook and ex-West Indies team manager Richard ‘Ricky’ Skerritt were appointed as the new members of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), World Cricket Committee. The pair will replace former West Indies fast bowler Ian Raphael Bishop and Bangladesh all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan.
- Who was conferred with the honorary D Litt (Doctor of Literature) by his alma mater Calcutta University ?
1) Abiy Ahmed
2) Sendhil Mullainathan
3) Amartya Sen
4) Abhijit Vinayak Bannerjee
5) Michael Kremer
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Abhijit Vinayak Bannerjee
On January 28, 2020, Nobel Prize winner in economics Abhijit Vinayak Bannerjee conferred with the honorary D Litt (Doctor of Literature) by his alma mater Calcutta University in Kolkata, West Bengal. Abhijit was awarded Nobel Prize in 2019 for an “Experimental approach to alleviating global poverty”. He is one of the directors of Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL), United States of America (USA) founded in 2003.
- Sanjna Kapoor was awarded with the prestigious ‘Chevalier dans lOrdre des Arts et des Lettres (Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters), she is a _________ .
5) Theatre artist
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Theatre artist
On January 28, 2020, Sanjna Kapoor (52), an Indian theatre personality and former British film actress of Indian and British descent, was awarded the prestigious French honour of ‘Chevalier dans lOrdre des Arts et des Lettres (Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters) for her outstanding contribution to the field of theater. She was honored by French Minister of Culture Franck Riester, who was currently on an official visit to India.
- Who was awarded with the Tyler Prize 2020 for “green economy” along with the conservation biologist Gretchen C. Daily ?
1) Jadav Payeng
2) Anadish Pal
3) Pavan Sukhdev
4) Vandana Shiva
5) Saalumarada Thimmakka
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Pavan Sukhdev
On January 27, 2020 the Indian environmentalist and Goodwill Ambassador of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Pavan Sukhdev won Tyler Prize 2020 for Environmental Achievement for his groundbreaking “green economy” work along with conservation biologist Gretchen C. Daily from United States (US).The winners will be awarded at the private ceremony on May 1, 2020 in presence of the Tyler Prize Executive Committee and distinguished members of the international environmental community at the Intercontinental Barclay Hotel in New York City, United States (US).
- Where was the 3rd Global Potato Conclave held ?
1) New Delhi, Delhi
2) Hyderabad, Telangana
3) Mumbai, Maharashtra
4) Kolkata, West Bengal
5) Gandhinagar, Gujarat
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Gandhinagar, Gujarat
On January 28, 2020 the Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi addressed the 3rd edition of the Global Potato Conclave at Gandhinagar, Gujarat through video conference. The 4-day conclave from January 28-31 is being organised by Indian Potato Association (IPA) in collaboration with Indian Council of Agricultural Research(ICAR), New Delhi, and ICAR-Central Potato Research Institute, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh and International Potato Center (CIP), Lima, Peru.
- What is the rank of India based on steel production as per the World Steel Association (WSA) 2019 ?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) 2nd
January 28, 2020, According to World Steel Association (WSA), the international trade body for the iron and steel industry , India’s crude steel production increased to 111.2 million tonne (MT) in 2019, showing a 1.8 % hike over 2018 (109.3 MT). India ranked 2nd in top 10 steel-producing countries as Asian steel producers leads as key drivers behind a 3.4 % surge in global crude steel output to 1 1,869.9 MT in 2019. China ranked 1st as the largest steel producer in 2019 at 996.3 MT, up by 8.3 % on 2018. Hence, China’s share of global crude steel production increased from 50.9% in 2018 to 53.% in 2019. China was followed by India (2nd ), Japan (3rd), which produced 99.3 MT in 2019, a decrement of 4.8 % as against 2018.
- What is the denomination of the newly unveiled coin with inscription “Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations” by Britain to mark its departure from the European Union (EU) ?
1) 10 pence
2) 20 pence
3) 30 pence
4) 40 pence
5) 50 pence
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) 50 pence
On January 26, 2020, Britain has unveiled the new 50 pence coin to mark the country’s departure from the European Union (EU). The coin bears the inscription “Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations” and the Brexit date of 31 January 2020.From January 31, 2020, about three million coins will be disturbed from banks, post offices and nearly seven million coins will come to circulation later.The first coin was presented by Britain’s Finance Minister Sajid Javid.
- Name the operation launched by Indian Navy to support and provide assistance to Tropical Cyclone Ava & flood hit Madagascar .
1) Operation Blue Star
2) Operation Polo
3) Operation Vijay
4) Operation Vanilla
5) Operation Woodrose
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Operation Vanilla
On January 28, 2020 the Indian Navy(IN) launched ‘Operation Vanilla’. The purpose of this operation is to support and provide assistance to Tropical Cyclone Ava & flood hit Madagascar. The Indian Navy Ship(INS) Airavat has been deployed to this mission. Indian Navy is the first responder for Humanitarian and Disaster Relief (HADR) in the Indian Ocean Region. Madagascar is hit by heavy floods and landslips since a week which caused loss of lives and displacement and has affected nearly 92,000 people. The president of Madagascar has also requested for international mobilisation. After the Madagascar president’s request, as the first respondent, it was then decided to immediately divert INS Airavat enroute to Seychelles, to Madagascar.
- Where did Indian Coast Guard (ICG) has commissioned a 3rd high-speed interceptor boat C-448 ?
1) Kochi, Kerala
2) Mangaluru, Karnataka
3) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
4) New Delhi, Delhi
5) Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Mangaluru, Karnataka
On January 29, 2020, the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) has commissioned a 3rd high-speed interceptor boat C-448 in Mangaluru, Karnataka. The boat will be operational under the administrative control of Commander of the Coast Guard Region (West) Inspector General AP Badola. Apart from this, it was also announced that Kerala govt through its Karnataka Industrial Area Development Board (KIADB), had sanctioned 160 acres of land in Kenjar for the Indian Coast Guard Academy (ICGA) in Mangaluru at a total cost of Rs 1,010 crore.
- Researchers from which institute has developed essential-oil-based drug carrier to treat fungal diseases ?
1) Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad (IIT-H)
2) Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (IIT-H)
3) Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (IIT-H)
4) Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (IIT-H)
5) Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (IIT-H)
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad (IIT-H)
On January 29, 2020, Researchers from the Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad (IIT-H), Telangana has developed a new essential-oil-based system of delivering medicines to the body for the treatment of fungal infections such as vaginal infections, diaper rash, athletes foot and nail fungus caused by the Candida family of fungi.Supported by the SERB (Scientific & Engineering Research Board) under the Department of Science and Technology (DST) & Corporate social responsibility (CSR) support from AT&T, an American multinational conglomerate, this medication can even fights against fungi that have created immunity against traditional medicines.
- Dr. Jitendra Singh launched the ISRO’s Bhuvan Panchayat Version V 3.0 web portal in Bengaluru, Karnataka to support Gram Panchayat Development planning, the portal is developed by which organization ?
1) Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA)
2) Physical Research Laboratory (PRL)
3) Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IISST)
4) Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS)
5) National Remote Sensing Center (NRSC)
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) National Remote Sensing Center (NRSC)
On January 28,2020 Dr. Jitendra Singh, Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, MoS PMO (Minister of State for Prime Minister’s Office), Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space launched the Bhuvan Panchayat Version V 3.0 web portal in Antariksh Bhavan Bengaluru, Karnataka to support Gram Panchayat Development planning in the country. The Minister also released the technical documents related to SISDP (Space Based Information Support for Decentralised Planning Update).The web portal has been developed by National Remote Sensing Center (NRSC), Hyderabad, Telangana.
- Name the agency that has collaborated with the National Aeronautics & Space Administration (NASA) to launch a new $1.5 billion spacecraft “The Solar Orbiter Spacecraft” to take 1st pictures of Sun’s north and south poles.
1) Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
2) Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)
3) European Space Agency (ESA)
4) China National Space Administration (CNSA)
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) European Space Agency (ESA)
On January 28, 2020, NASA (National Aeronautics & Space Administration) and ESA (European Space Agency) will jointly launch a new spacecraft- “The Solar Orbiter Spacecraft” to take first pictures of Sun’s north and south poles. It’s outlay is $1.5 billion. The spacecraft will be launched from Cape Canaveral, United States (US) on Feb 7, 2020 on a United Launch Alliance (ULA) Atlas V Rocket.
- Where was the 71st edition of International Boxing Tournament “Strandja”2020 held ?
1) New Delhi, India
2) Washington D.C., United States (U.S.)
3) Beijing, China
4) Tokyo, Japan
5) Sofia, Bulgaria
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Sofia, Bulgaria
The 71st edition of International Boxing Tournament “Strandja”2020 was held in Sofia, Bulgaria from January 19-26, 2020. India ranked 9th in the medal tally with 3 medals (1 Silver, 2 Bronze). The list was topped by Ukraine with 10 medals (4 Gold, 1 silver, 5 Bronze).
- Mohammed Hussamuddin was seen in news recently, he is associated with which sport ?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Boxing
Mohammed Hussamuddin, who was seen in news recently is associated with Boxing.He won silver medal in 57kg category.
- Which country’s cricketer, Todd Duncan Astle announced first-class retirement recently ?
2) New Zealand
4) Sri Lanka
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) New Zealand
On January 28,2020 Todd Duncan Astle, 33 years old from New Zealand, Wellington, leg-spinner had announced his retirement from first-class cricket to focus on the limited-over cricket (one day cricket). Astle scored more than 4000 runs in his 119 first-class matches.Known as ‘Canterbury stalwart’, Astle made his Test Debut in 2012, played five tests for nations team in which he claimed 7 wickets at 52.57 and scored 98 runs at 19.60 overs.
- Barca Academy Cup – Asia Pacific 2020 will be held in which country ?
1) Jakarta, Indonesia
2) Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3) Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4) Manchester, England
5) Gurgaon, Haryana, India
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Gurgaon, Haryana, India
For the 2nd time, India to host Barca Academy Cup – Asia Pacific 2020, hosted by Barca Academy, scheduled to be held in Gurgaon, Haryana from January 30 -February 2, 2020, which will see the participation of more than 650 football players from 7 countries (India, Australia, Turkey, China, Singapore, Japan and Spain).A total of 48 teams will play in 4 categories namely under 9(U-9), U-11, U-13 and U-15.
- Saurav Ghosal is associated with which sport ?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Squash
Indian squash player Saurav Ghosal missed out on winning his first title in the Professional Squash Association (PSA) World Tour event 2019-20. He suffered a 7-11, 4–11, 9–11 defeat to Fares Dessouky of Egypt in the finals of the Men’s Pittsburgh Open 2020 held in Rivers Club, Pittsburgh,United States (US).Earlier, he defeated Egypt’s Omar Mosaad Abouzid with 11-6, 16-18, 11-7, 12-10 scores in the semi-finals. Saurav became the 1st Indian squash player to reach the quarterfinals of the World Championship held in 2013. In 2014, he won the silver medal (individual singles) in the 17th Asian Games at Incheon, South Korea. He was the first Indian squash player to do so.
- Who became the highest run-scorer in the T20I during India vs Sri Lanka T20I series ?
1) Rohit Sharma
2) KL Rahul
3) Virat Kohi
4) Shikhar Dhawan
5) MS Dhoni
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Virat Kohi
The Indian Men’s cricket team played T20I (twenty twenty International) bilateral series against Srilanka during the 2020 Sri Lanka tour of India. India defeated Sri Lanka in final T20I to win three match T20I series for 2-0. Indian cricketer Virat Kohi surpassed India’s Rohit Sharma to become the highest run-scorer in the T20I. Virat now has 2,663 runs in the shortest format of the game.
- Name the Indian bowler, who became the highest wicket-taker in the T20I .
1) Yuzvendra Chahal
2) Mohammed Shami
3) Rishabh Pant
4) Jasprit Bumrah
5) Ravindra Jadeja
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Jasprit Bumrah
India’s Jasprit Bumrah became the highest wicket-taker in the T20 match against Srilanka. He has now 53 T20 wickets under his name from 45 T20I matches overall. He achieved this feat after he dismissed Srilanka’s opener Danushka Gunathilaka. Indian spinner Yuzvendra Chahal and Ravichandran Ashwin were joint second highest wicket-takers by making 52 wickets from 37 matches and 52 wickets from 46 matches respectively.
- Politician Abdul Ghafoor passed away recently, he belonged to which state ?
2) West Bengal
5) Uttar Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Bihar
On January 28, 2020, Abdul Ghafoor, former Bihar minister & RJD party (Rashtriya Janata Dal) MLA (Member of the Legislative Assembly), passed away at the age of 60 in New Delhi due to liver ailment. He was born on 5th May 1959 in Saharsa district, Bihar.Gafoor represented Mahishi constituency in Bihar assembly for 4 times (1995,2000,2010 and in 2015.He was the former Minister of Minority Welfare in Nitish Kumar Government of Bihar.
- Jameela Malik, who passed away recently was a legendary ______________ .
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Actress
On January 28,2020 Veteran actress Jameela Malik, passed away at the age of 73 in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala due to age-related ailments. Jameela Malik was the first Kerala woman who graduated from the Film & Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune, Maharashtra. She was born in Kollam, Kerala.She acted as a leading roles in Tamil ,Malayalam,Telugu movies & television (TV) serials.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Bhitarakanika Wildlife Sanctuary & Gahiramatha Marine Sanctuary located in Which state ?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-Odisha
Bhitarakanika Wildlife Sanctuary & Gahiramatha Marine Sanctuary is located in Odisha.It was in news recently because the annual dolphin census was held in the sanctuaries recently.
- Where is the headquarters of International Boxing Association (AIBA) located ?
- What is the capital and Currency of Qatar ?
AnswerAnswer-Capital- Doha & Currency- Qatari riyal.
- Where is the headquarters of Vakrangee Limited located ?
- Who is the chairperson of National Tiger Conservation Authority (NCTA) ?
AnswerAnswer-Prakash Keshav Javadekar
[su_button url=”https://affairscloud.com/current-affairs/january-2020/” target=”self” style=”default” background=”#2D89EF” color=”#FFFFFF” size=”5″ wide=”no” center=”no” radius=”auto” icon=”” icon_color=”#FFFFFF” text_shadow=”none” desc=”” download=”” onclick=”” rel=”” title=”” id=”” class=””]Click Here to Try January Current Affairs 2020 Quiz[/su_button]