AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs quiz August 15,2017 to achieve more marks in Banking , insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT ,railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Odisha Government will soon launch “Durgama Anchalare Malaria Nirakaran” (DAMON), a special programme to prevent the spread of malaria in remote areas of ______ district.
Answer & ExplanationAnswer- 2.Ganjam district
Under this programme, camps will be held in the remote areas for mass test for malaria. As many as 103 camps will be held in the next three months. Around 15,000 people would be covered under the programme.
- The eight-member Olympic Task Force, constituted to plan a roadmap to improve India’s performance in Olympics submitted an extensive final report titled “Preparation of 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games” to the Sports Secretary, Injeti Srinivas on August 11, 2017. Who among the following is NOT a member of this task force?
1.P T Usha
Answer & ExplanationAnswer- 1.P T Usha
In the report, the task force focused on a three-fold formula — “athlete-centric, coach-led and system-driven”. Overall, the task force addressed issues like upgradation in sports governance, sport science and culture of sports, among many others.
- President Ram Nath Kovind approved how many Gallantry Awards to Armed Forces Personnel and members of Paramilitary Forces on August 14, 2017?
1.97 Gallantry Awards
2.102 Gallantry Awards
3.107 Gallantry Award
4.112 Gallantry Awards
5.117 Gallantry Awards
Answer & ExplanationAnswer- 4.112 Gallantry Awards
On August 14, 2017, President Ram Nath Kovind approved 112 Gallantry Awards to Armed Forces Personnel and members of Paramilitary Forces which include 5 Kirti Chakras, 17 Shaurya Chakras, 85 Sena Medals (Gallantry), 3 Nao Sena Medals (Gallantry) and two Vayu Sena Medals (Gallantry).
- In the year 2017, who among the following have been awarded the Kirti Chakra, the second highest gallantry award in peace time?
1. Chetan Kumar Cheetah and Pramod Kumar
2. Major David Manlun
3.Havildar Giris Gurung
4.Major Preetam Singh Kunwar
5.All of the above
Answer & ExplanationAnswer- 5.All of the above
CRPF commandants Chetan Kumar Cheetah and Pramod Kumar, along with Major David Manlun, Havildar Giris Gurung and Major Preetam Singh Kunwar have been awarded the Kirti Chakra, the second highest gallantry award in peace time.
- Which Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiative was launched by State Bank of India on August 14, 2017, to work in the areas of health, education, environment and rural infrastructure?
1. SBI Gram Seva
2. SBI Rural Seva
3. SBI Village Seva
4. SBI Grameen Seva
5. SBI Grass Root Seva
Answer & ExplanationAnswer- SBI Gram Seva
The SBI Foundation will identify and partner with NGOs to carry out this CSR initiative. Under the initiative, SBI will adopt five villages each from 10 village panchayats with each village getting around Rs 2.40 crore over the next three years.
- India International Exchange (India INX) has got Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI’s) approval to launch Gold Options. India INX is promoted by:
1.National Stock Exchange
2.Bombay Stock Exchange
3.Multi Commodity Exchange
4.National Commodity & Derivatives Exchange Limited
5.United Stock Exchange of India
Answer & ExplanationAnswer- 2.Bombay Stock Exchange
Availability of Gold Options will allow investors an opportunity to hedge their risk without worrying about daily market volatility. India INX has estimated that gold options, along with other gold contracts, would clock a daily average turnover of USD 35 million on the exchange’s platform.
- India is deploying along its volatile border with Pakistan, a smart fencing system which is having a ‘quick response team’ mechanism that strikes when the CCTV-powered control room detects an infiltration attempt. This fencing system has been designed by which country?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer- 4.Israel
The new equipment and technologies will be integrated and a feed, from CCTV cameras, will go to the border out post where there is a monitor installed. This will be monitored round-the-clock by two or three men.
- On August 14, 2017, Chief Minister of which state launched Namo Yuva Rojgar Kendra an initiative providing job opportunities to unemployed youth?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer- 4.Maharashtra
Namo Yuva Rojgar Kendra is an initiative on the part of the Maharashtra State government to provide job opportunities to the unemployed youth in Mumbai. Under the programme, there will be various schemes including farmer’s weekly market, farmer’s mobile market and mother’s tiffin.
- The five-day long India-ASEAN Youth Summit started on August 14, 2017, in:
Answer & ExplanationAnswer- 1.Bhopal
The five-day long India-ASEAN Youth Summit started in Bhopal on August 14, 2017. The summit with the theme – “Shared Values, Common Destiny” – has been jointly organised by the Ministry of External Affairs, India Foundation and the Madhya Pradesh State Government.
- To take forward the initiative of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi for a New India movement from 2017 – 2022, which Ministry organised a Sankalp Se Siddhi (Attainment through Resolve) Programme in Coimbatore on August 12, 2017?
1.Ministry of Home Affairs
2.Ministry of Culture
3.Ministry of Youth Affairs And Sports
4.Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
5.Ministry of Human Resource Development
Answer & ExplanationAnswer- 2.Ministry of Culture
To take forward the initiative of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi for a New India movement from 2017 – 2022, a Sankalp Se Siddhi (Attainment through Resolve) Programme was organized at Sri Ramalinga Sowdambigai College of Science and Commerce, Onappalayam, Coimbatore on 12 August, 2017. Minister of State for Culture and Tourism (Independent Charge), Dr. Mahesh Sharma graced the occasion.
- The government has imposed a new penalty of $ 264 million (about Rs 1,700 crore) on which company and its partners for producing less than the targeted natural gas from eastern offshore KG-D6 fields in 2015-16?
1.Gas Authority of India Ltd.
5.Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited
Answer & ExplanationAnswer- 3.Reliance Industries
The total penalty on Reliance Industries and its partners, which is in the form of disallowing recovery of cost incurred for missing the target during six years beginning April 1, 2010, now stands at $ 3.02 billion.
- TAL Manufacturing, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tata Motors, has launched ‘_______’, an education cell designed for universities and polytechnics.
Answer & ExplanationAnswer- 4.Robo Whiz
Robo Whiz will provide students hands-on experience and help develop skills needed for effective use and management of Robotics and Automation Technology. Robo Whiz comes with open architecture, access to the controller and provides an open platform for robotics learning and development practices.
- Who among the following will be appointed as new Managing Director & CEO of Industrial Finance Corporation of India (IFCI) Ltd?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer- 1.Sankaara Rao
The Appointments Committee of Cabinet has given its nod for the Department of Financial Services (DFS) proposal to appoint Emandi Sankara Rao as Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer of IFCI Ltd.
- Who among the following has been appointed as secretary to Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu?
1.I V Subba Rao
2.N G K Ramesh
3.V L Panicker
4.J P Das
5.L G K Daya Shankar
Answer & ExplanationAnswer- 1.I V Subba Rao
I V Subba Rao, a 1979 batch IAS officer of Andhra Pradesh cadre, retired from service as special chief secretary last year. He held several important posts in Andhra Pradesh and later served at UNESCO.
- P B Balaji has been appointed as new Chief Financial Officer of:
2.LIC of India
4.Steel Authority of India Ltd.
Answer & ExplanationAnswer- 3.Tata Motors
Tata Motors has announced the appointment of P B Balaji as the new Chief Financial Officer from November 2017 replacing C R Ramakrishnan, the current CFO who retires by September 30, 2017, having already served a several extensions.
- National Company Law Tribunal has approved the merger of __________ and Aircel
Answer & ExplanationAnswer- 4.Reliance Communications
Reliance Communications will merge into Aircel and a new entity will be created called Aircom, with both partners having 50 per cent equity stakes. Both companies will also transfer Rs 14,000 crore of debt each to the new entity.
- Which among the following pair has won gold medal in the skeet mixed team event at the 7th Asian Shotgun Championship?
1.Mairaj Ahmad Khan and Rashmmi Rathore
2.Mairaj Ahmad Khan and Dipika Sharma
3.Aditya Malhotra and Rashmmi Rathore
4.Aditya Malhotra and Dipika Sharma
5.Mairaj Ahmad Khan and Devika Kumari
Answer & ExplanationAnswer- 1.Mairaj Ahmad Khan and Rashmmi Rathore
India finished their campaign at the 7th Asian Shotgun Championship on high as the pair of Mairaj Ahmad Khan and Rashmmi Rathore bagged a gold medal in the skeet mixed team event on the concluding day of the championship.
- Joseph Bologna, who passed away on August 13, 2017, was:
1.American Basketball Player
2.American Baseball Player
Answer & ExplanationAnswer- 3.American Actor
Joseph Bologna, an actor, writer, and director known for his role in 1982’s “My Favorite Year” and for his long collaboration on stage and screen with wife Renée Taylor, has died after a three-year battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 82.