AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 3 December 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Which Ministry virtually launched ‘Green Charcoal Hackathon’ to focus on technology to convert Farm Residue into Green Charcoal?
1) Ministry of Coal
2) Ministry of Mines
3) Ministry of Earth Sciences
4) Ministry of Power and New & Renewable Energy
5) Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Ministry of Power and New & Renewable Energy
Minister of State (MoS) (Independent Charge) for Power and New & Renewable Energy, Raj Kumar Singh virtually launched ‘Green Charcoal Hackathon’ to deliberate on technology to convert Farm Residue into Green Charcoal. The hackathon has been organised by Energy Efficiency Service Limited (EESL) & NVVN (NTPC (National Thermal Power Corporation Limited) Vidyut Vyapar Nigam).
- Which State Government jointly organized the 10th National Science Film Festival 2020 with by VigyanPrasar, an autonomous agency under the Department of Science and Technology (DST)?
2) West Bengal
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Tripura
The 10th National Science Film Festival 2020 was jointly organised by VigyanPrasar, an autonomous agency under the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India and the Tripura State Council of Science and Technology, Government of Tripura. The four-day long film festival was held from 24th to 27th November 2020. The event was inaugurated on 24th November 2020 by JishnuDevVerma, Deputy Chief Minister of Tripura.
- Which Petroleum Company launched India’s first 100 Octane Petrol also known as XP 100?
1) Indian Oil Corporation
2) Bharat Petroleum
3) Hindustan Petroleum
4) Gas Authority of India Ltd
5) Oil and Natural gas Corporation
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Indian Oil Corporation
Ministry of Petroleum and Natural gas(MOP&NG) Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launched the India’s first 100 Octane Petrol also known as XP 100 manufactured by Indian Oil Corporation(IOC). XP 100, the premium grade petrol is manufactured at IOC’s Mathura refinery in Uttar Pradesh, and will be rolled out in two Phases at selected Petrol stations.
- Where did Cabinet Minister of Tribal Affairs, Arjun Munda launch the first ever virtual edition of Aadi Mahotsav or National Tribal festival?
3) Madhya Pradesh
5) Uttar Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Madhya Pradesh
On 1st December, 2020 Cabinet Minister of Tribal Affairs, Arjun Munda launched the first ever virtual edition of Aadi Mahotsav, at Madhya Pradesh. Aadi Mahostav also known as National Tribal festival is conducted to promote the tribal, products, culture thereby increasing Tribal income. Festival is jointly organised by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Government of India and Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED). 1-10 December focusing on Madhya Pradesh, 11-20 December focus shifts to Gujarat, 21-30 December, planned to focus on West Bengal.
- From which date Consumers need to prefix ‘0’ for Landline-to-Mobile calls as per instructions of Department of Telecom (DoT)?
1) January 15, 2021
2) January 15, 2022
3) December15, 2021
4) December15, 2020
5) March15, 2021
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) January 15, 2021
The Department of Telecom (DoT) announced that from January 15, 2021, Consumers need to prefix ‘0’ for Landline-to-Mobile calls. The decision has been taken in line with the recommendations by Telecom Regulatory Authority of India. The process is set to generate around 2539 Million Numbering Series, freeing up adequate numbering resources for Future use.
- Where will the ‘Ramayan Cruise Service’ be launched making it India’s 1st luxury Cruise service on the Saryu River?
1) Kevadiya, Gujarat
2) Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
3) Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
4) Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh
5) Patna, Bihar
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh
The ‘Ramayan Cruise Service’ is to be launched on Saryu River (Ghagra/National Waterways-40) in Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh. It is India’s 1st luxury Cruise service on the Saryu River. It aims to give an attractive experience to devotees with one-of-its-kind spiritual journeys while cruising through the famous ghats of the holy river Saryu. On the basis of the theme of Ramcharitmanas, the interiors of the cruise and the boarding point are designed.
- Which Dictionary Company has chosen “Pandemic” as Word of the Year 2020?
1) Oxford Dictionary
4) Both 1 & 2
5) Both 2 & 3
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Both 2 & 3
Merriam-Webster and Dictionary.com two of the most popular dictionary companies for the first time have chosen a common word “Pandemic” as Word of the Year 2020. Once the World Health Organisation (WHO) announced COVID-19 as pandemic in early March, 2020 the word continuously peaked in the most searched list. Earlier this year (November) the Cambridge Dictionary has named “Quarantine” as the Word of the Year 2020.
- PowerChina, Hydropower Company of China is going to construct the first downstream dam on Yarlung Zangbo River in Tibet. The Yarlung Zangbo River is known as ____________ in India.
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Brahmaputra
China is set to construct the first downstream dam on Yarlung Zangbo River (known as river Brahmaputra in India) in Tibet. On 29th November 2020, the authorities approved the proposal of PowerChina, a state owned Hydropower Company to construct the dam. This project will support the maintenance of the water resources and domestic security of TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Which state government launched “Orunodoi” Scheme?
1) Arunachal Pradesh
5) West Bengal
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Assam
Chief Minister of Assam Sarbananda Sonowal launched “Orunodoi” Scheme in the state. The scheme is allocated an annual budget of Rs. 2400 crore to provide financial assistance to socio- economically weaker sections for a period of 5 years. The scheme will provide financial assistance of Rs.830/month as Directly Benefit Transfer (DBT) to the bank accounts of Women under the Jan Dhan Yojana. It Provides Subsidies in medicines worth Rs. 400, Pulses worth Rs. 200, Sugar worth Rs.80 and essential vegetables & fruits worth Rs. 150. Women with family income less than 2 lakhs per annum can avail the benefits of this scheme.
- Punjab National Bank (PNB) developed and launched ‘PNB LenS’ for what purpose?
1) KYC handling
2) Cash Withdrawal
3) Loan management
4) Security Purpose
5) Locker Facility
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Loan management
To increase the speed and maintain accuracy in online processing of loans and sanctioning of credit proposals, Punjab National Bank (PNB) developed and launched ‘PNB LenS’, an IT(Information Technology) based lending solution for loan management. PNB launched OTP (One Time Password) based cash withdrawals, effective from 1st December 2020.
- Which Bank in collaboration with National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and Japan’s JCB (formerly Japan Credit Bureau) International Co. Ltd. unveiled “__________ RuPay JCB Platinum Contactless Debit Card” with a unique dual interface feature?
1) SBI (State Bank of India)
2) Canara Bank
3) PNB (Punjab National Bank of India)
4) BOB (Bank of Baroda)
5) Indian Bank
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) SBI (State Bank of India)
State Bank of India (SBI) in collaboration with National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and Japan’s JCB (formerly Japan Credit Bureau) International Co. Ltd. unveiled “SBI RuPay JCB Platinum Contactless Debit Card” with a unique dual interface feature. It enables the customers to use it for both contact and contactless transactions as well as for domestic and overseas transactions.
- YES Bank relaunched ‘YES Premia’ with a premium banking program. Who is the MD & CEO of YES Bank?
1) Prashant Kumar
2) Shashidhar Jagadeesan
3) Aditya Puri
4) Amitabh Chaudhary
5) Sandeep Bakhshi
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Prashant Kumar
YES Bank relaunched ‘YES Premia’ with a premium banking program. It offers personalized solutions focusing on particular needs of key consumer segments, i.e., from small business owners to salaried professionals and senior citizens. Yes Bank during the ‘Truly Yours’ Week, from December 1 – 7, 2020 will celebrate the launch of the program, across India with several customercentric programs and partnered activations through dealer, OEM(Original Equipment Manufacturer) and bancassurance partners.
YES Bank Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer(CEO)– Prashant Kumar
- Which Financial Institution approved a $430(about Rs 4,143 crore) million Multitranche Financing Facility (MFF) for Uttar Pradesh (UP) Power Distribution Network Rehabilitation Project?
1) International Monetary Fund (IMF)
2) Asian Development Bank (ADB)
3) World Bank (WB)
4) New Development Bank (NDB)
5) Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Asian Development Bank (ADB)
On December 1, 2020 The Asian Development Bank (ADB) approved a $430(about Rs 4,143 crore) million Multitranche Financing Facility(MFF) for Uttar Pradesh(UP) Power Distribution Network Rehabilitation Project to improve the quality and reliability of electricity supply in Uttar Pradesh. The MFF is enhanced by a $2 million Technical Assistance (TA) grant from TA Special Fund and the Japan Fund for Poverty Reduction (JFPR) of ADB.
- What is India’s GDP rate prediction as per 2020 Economic Outlook titled “A Brighter Outlook But Recovery Will Be Gradual” by Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)?
1) – 9.9%
2) – 7.9 %
3) – 8.9 %
4) – 10.9 %
5) – 6.9 %
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) – 9.9%
The Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) in its December 2020 Economic Outlook titled “A Brighter Outlook But Recovery Will Be Gradual” has trimmed the India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) rate to 9.9% from 10.2% projected in September for FY21. It also projected that the Indian economy will rebound to 8% in FY22 and 5% in FY23 on the condition that GDP loss would be substantial. On the global front also OECD decreased the contraction rate to 4.2% in 2020, from 4.5% earlier.
- What is India’s GDP rate prediction as per S&P aka Standard & Poor’s report on Asia Pacific?
1) – 10%
2) – 9.5%
3) – 9%
4) – 8.5%
5) – 8%
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) – 9%
S&P aka Standard & Poor’s, in its report on Asia Pacific has retained its forecast of 9% contraction in the Indian economy for FY21 and projected that it will grow at 10% in FY22.
In accordance with the report Indian economy recovered faster than expected in the September quarter due to a pick up by the manufacturing sector.
- The Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) partnered with ___________ to improve mutual cybersecurity capabilities.
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Kaspersky
A cyber security firm, Kaspersky and the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) announced a strategic partnership for improving mutual cybersecurity capabilities by working together in order to create a safe and secure cyberspace in India.
- Name the Veteran Bollywood Actor, Who has been honoured with the Aditya Vikram Birla Kala Shikhar Puraskar 2020 at the Sangit Kala Kendra Awards virtual function?
1) Anupam Kher
2) Nana Patekar
3) Naseeruddin Shah
4) Paresh Rawal
5) Amitabh Bachchan
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Naseeruddin Shah
Veteran Bollywood Actor Naseeruddin Shah was honoured with the Aditya Vikram Birla Kala Shikhar Puraskar 2020 at the Sangit Kala Kendra Awards virtual function. He was awarded in the category theatre. The 2 emerging stars of theatrics, Neel Choudhary and Irawati Karnik were awarded the Aditya Vikram Birla Kalakiran Puraskars 2020.
- Who represented India at the 2020 Industry Transition Leadership Summit organized by Leadership Group for Industry Transition (LeadIT)?
1) Narendra Modi
2) Nitin Gadkari
3) Piyush Goyal
4) Prakash Javadekar
5) S Jaishankar
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Prakash Javadekar
Union Minister for Environment, Climate Change and Forest Minister, Prakash Javadekar represented India at the 2020 Industry Transition Leadership Summit organized by Leadership Group for Industry Transition (LeadIT). The Summit was held in Virtual Mode due to Pandemic. The Meeting was held ahead of the 5th Anniversary of the signing of the 2015 Paris Agreement. The summit focuses on aligning public and private action for implementation of the agendas and targets under the Paris Agreement.
- What was the theme for the 20th Edition of Sri Lanka Economic Summit (SLES) 2020 addressed by Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs, Nirmala Sitharaman virtually?
1) Self Reliant Sri Lanka
2) Roadmap for Take-off: Driving a People-Centric Economic Revival
3) Re-calibrating Sri Lanka’s Economic Trajectory Towards 2025
4) On the Fast Track to a Turnaround
5) Realizing a Greener Growth Path – Walking the Talk
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Roadmap for Take-off: Driving a People-Centric Economic Revival
Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs, Nirmala Sitharaman delivered the Keynote Address virtually at the inauguration of the 20th Edition of Sri Lanka Economic Summit (SLES) 2020. It was organized by the Ceylon Chamber of Commerce (CCC). President Gotabaya Rajapaksa was the Chief Guest at the inaugural session. The Theme for SLES 2020 is ‘Roadmap for Take-off: Driving a People-Centric Economic Revival’.
- The Government of India (GoI) has constituted a ______ members committee namely “Apex Committee for Implementation of Paris Agreement (AIPA)” responsible of formulating policies and programmes for the execution of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) prepared by India under Paris Agreement 2015.
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) 17
The Government of India (GoI) has constituted a 17 members committee namely “Apex Committee for Implementation of Paris Agreement (AIPA)” responsible of formulating policies and programmes for the execution of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) prepared by India under Paris Agreement 2015. The AIPA will act as a national authority for the regulation of carbon markets in India under Article 6.2, Article 6.4 and Article 6.8 of the Paris Agreement. The committee will have the secretary, Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) (Presently – Mr.Rameshwar Prasad Gupta) as the chairperson and the additional secretary, MoEFCC as the vice chairperson along with 15 members.
- India is ranked at which place in the 8th Edition of ‘Global Terrorism Index (GTI) 2020: Measuring the Impact of Terrorism’ released by Institute for Economics & Peace (Afghanistan most affected Country)?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) 8th
According to the 8th Edition of ‘Global Terrorism Index (GTI) 2020: Measuring the Impact of Terrorism’ released by Institute for Economics & Peace (IEP), India with a score of 7.353 is the 8th Most Affected Country in the World due to Terrorism in 2019. Afghanistan (9.592), Iraq (8.682) & Nigeria (8.314) are top 3 countries which are the most affected by Terrorism.Countries Most Affected by Terrorism:
Rank Country Score 8 India 7.353 1 Afghanistan 9.592 2 Iraq 8.682 3 Nigeria 8.314
- Amul (Anand Milk Union Limited) a brand of dairy cooperative major Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF), is ranked at which place as the Largest Milk Processor globally in the list of Top 20?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) 8th
According to The International Farm Comparison Network (IFCN) Dairy Processors Report 2020 (Biennial), Amul (Anand Milk Union Limited) a brand of dairy cooperative major Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF) emerged as the 8th Largest Milk Processor globally in the list of Top 20. The rankings are based on the parameters of Milk Intake per annum. Amul has reported an intake of 10.3 Billion Kg of Milk annually, it is more than double growth from the 4.54 Billion Kg of Milk Intake reported by Amul in 2013.
Rank Company Milk Intake 8 Amul (India) 10.3 Billion Kg 1 Dairy Farmers of America (DFA) (USA) 29 Billion Kg 2 Fonterra (New Zealand) 21.9 Billion Kg 3 Lactalis (France) 20 Billion Kg
- Name the body that approved Acquisition of Rivigo by Spring Canter Investment Ltd & Amalgamation of Srikalahasthi Pipes with Electrosteel Castings Ltd?
1) Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)
2) The Associated Chambers of Commerce of India (ASSOCHAM)
3) Competition Commission of India (CCI)
4) NITI Aayog
5) Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI)
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Competition Commission of India (CCI)
The Competition Commission of India (CCI) approved the following acquisition and amalgamation under Section 31(1) of the Competition Act, 2002. Rivigo Services Private Limited (Rivigo) will be acquired by Spring Canter Investment Ltd (SCIL) through subscription of compulsorily convertible preference shares.
Amalgamation– Srikalahasthi Pipes Limited (SPL) will be amalgamated with and into Electrosteel Castings Limited (ECL).
- Scientists have discovered World’s Oldest Nanostructures Found In 6th-Century BC Pottery from which place?
1) Rupar, Punjab
2) Rakhigarhi, Haryana
3) Dwarka, Gujarat
4) Keeladi, Tamil Nadu
5) None of the above
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Keeladi, Tamil Nadu
Scientists have discovered the oldest known human-made nano-materials in the “unique black coatings” of ancient pottery shards dated to 600 BC that were unearthed from an archeological site in Keeladi, Tamil Nadu. The research was published in the journal Scientific Reports and the findings have been documented in a paper published in “Nature”. In accordance with the research these coatings are made of carbon nanotubes (CNTs) which have enabled the layer to last more than 2600 years.
- Indian Men’s Football Team has been ranked at which place as per the FIFA (Federation Internationale de Football Association) updated in November 2020?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) 104th
As per the FIFA (Federation Internationale de Football Association) updated in November, 2020, Indian Men’s Football Team rose 4 spots to 104 (1187 Points) from 108 in October, 2020 Rankings. Indian Men’s Football Team coach is Igor Stimac (Croatia), Captain is Sunil Chhetri (From Telangana).
- Name the Italian writer who launched his first book for kids titled “Vahana Masterclass” illustrating the Indian Mythology and Culture.
1) Roshaan Khattak
2) Francesca Marino
3) Hussain Haqqani
4) Alfredo Covelli
5) Douglas Stuart
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Alfredo Covelli
Alfredo Covelli, Italian Writer launched his new kids book titled “Vahana Masterclass” illustrating the Indian Mythology and Culture. The illustration of the book was done by Indian artist Zainab Tambawalla and the book is published by Scholastic India. Vahana Masterclass is Alfredo’s first book in English, the first book for the Indian market and his first book for kids.
- Abhay Bharadwaj, Rajya Sabha MP (Member of Parliament) passed away recently. He belonged to which political party?
1) Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP)
2) Indian National Congress (INC)
3) Lok Janashakti Party (LJP)
4) Janta Dal United (JDU)
5) Samajwadi Party (SP)
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP)
Abhay Bharadwaj, member of BJP and Rajya Sabha MP (Member of Parliament) passed away at the age of 66 in a hospital in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. He passed away due to post COVID-19 complications. He hails from Rajkot, Gujarat. He is the 2nd Rajya Sabha MP from Gujarat to die due to COVID-19 complications after Ahmed Patel, Rajya Sabha MP of Indian National Congress.
- When is the National Pollution Control Day each year (2020 Theme: raise awareness about the importance of pollution control and educate people on how to prevent pollution)?
1) November 28
2) November 29
3) November 30
4) December 1
5) December 2
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) December 2
National Pollution Control Day is annually observed across India on 2nd December to honour the people who lost their lives in the Bhopal Gas Tragedy in 1984. The day is observed to create awareness among the general public about the pollution level of India and the rate on which the harmful substance level in the environment has been increased every year.2nd December 2020 marks the 36th anniversary of the Bhopal Gas Tragedy.
The theme of the 2020 National Pollution Control Day is “raise awareness about the importance of pollution control and educate people on how to prevent pollution”.
- When the World Computer Literacy Day is annually observed across the globe?
1) November 29
2) November 30
3) December 1
4) December 2
5) December 3
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) December 2
The World Computer Literacy Day is annually observed on 2nd December to increase the awareness about the advanced gap and increase the access to computer and information technology. The day promotes the enhancement of the technology skills of women and children.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Dipor Bil, also spelt Deepor Beel is a ramsar site located in which state?
1) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Assam
Dipor Bil, also spelt Deepor Beel, is located to the south-west of Guwahati city, in Kamrup district of Assam, India It is a permanent freshwater lake, in a former channel of the Brahmaputra River, to the south of the main river.
- Sunil Chhetri, Captain of Indian men’s football team hails from which state?
2) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Telangana
Sunil Chhetri was born on 3 August 1984 to K. B. Chhetri, an officer in the Corps of Electronics and Mechanical Engineers of the Indian Army, and Sushila Chhetri in Secunderabad, Telangana, India. He is an Indian professional footballer who plays as a striker or winger and captains both the Indian Super League side Bengaluru and the Indian national team.
- Where is Machu Picchu (an Incan citadel set high in the Andes Mountains) located?
4) New Zealand
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Peru
Machu Picchu is an Incan citadel set high in the Andes Mountains in Peru, above the Urubamba River valley. Built in the 15th century and later abandoned, it’s renowned for its sophisticated dry-stone walls that fuse huge blocks without the use of mortar, intriguing buildings that play on astronomical alignments and panoramic views. Its exact former use remains a mystery.
Peru opens Machu Picchu for a single Japanese tourist after almost 7-month wait. Peru opened the ruins of Machu Picchu for a single Japanese tourist after he waited almost seven months to enter the Inca citadel, while trapped in the Andean country during the coronavirus outbreak.
- Where is Shivalik Elephant Reserve located?
1) Uttar Pradesh
3) Himachal Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Uttarakhand
The Uttarakhand State Wildlife Board cleared a proposal to cancel the notification of Shivalik Elephant Reserve, which is spread over 5,409 square km, in the state. The formal order for canceling the notification will be issued by the state forest department.
- The Headquarters of National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) is located in _________.
1) New Delhi
2) Hyderabad, Telangana
3) Mumbai, Maharashtra
4) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
5) Pune, Maharashtra
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Mumbai, Maharashtra
National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), Mumbai is an umbrella organization for all retail payments system in India. It was set up with the guidance and support of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and Indian Banks’ Association (IBA). The RBI, after setting up the Board for Regulation and Supervision of Payment and Settlement Systems (BPSS) in 2005, released a vision document incorporating a proposal to set up an umbrella institution for all the RETAIL PAYMENT SYSTEMS in the country. The core objective was to consolidate and integrate the multiple systems with varying service levels into nation-wide uniform and standard business process for all retail payment systems.