AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 28 August 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Who has launched National GIS (Geographic Information System)-enabled Land Bank system for six states recently?
1) Piyush Goyal
2) Raj Kumar Singh
3) Ravi Shankar Prasad
4) Giriraj Singh
5) Pralhad Joshi
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Piyush Goyal
Union Minister for Commerce and Industry, Piyush Goyal e-launched the National GIS (Geographic Information System)-enabled Land Bank system for six states. The system is developed by the integration of the Industrial Information System (IIS) with State GIS systems.
- Which state/UT government has launched ‘Healthy Body, Healthy Mind’ campaign for students?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Delhi
Delhi Government launched the Fitness Campaign – “Healthy Body, Healthy Mind”, for the students who are confined in their homes because of the lockdown imposed on Schools and colleges due to COVID-19 pandemic. As a part of the “Healthy Body, Healthy Mind” campaign, a YouTube channel has been started which uploads a video on every Wednesday, by which the students can practice for a week to maintain fitness and make up for the loss of physical activities amid pandemic.
- Which company has partnered with UNICEF to map internet connectivity landscape for schools in 35 countries by the end of 2023?
2) Verizon Communications
3) Reliance Jio
4) Bharti Airtel
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Ericsson
Ericsson, Swedish Telecom Company, partnered with United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) to map internet connectivity landscape for schools in 35 countries by the end of 2023 to provide digital learning access to the children. This joint initiative is a part of the Giga initiative launched by UNICEF and International Telecommunication Union (ITU), in September 2019 to provide internet connection to every school and their surrounding communities. Ericsson is the first private sector partner to make a million-dollar commitment to the Giga initiative and global UNICEF partner for School Connectivity Mapping.
- Name the organization which released the report titled, “COVID-19: Are Children Able to Continue Learning During School Closures?”.
1) International Monetary Fund (IMF)
2) United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
3) United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
4) Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
5) United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) released the Report “COVID-19: Are Children Able to Continue Learning During School Closures?”, which states that at least a third of the world’s school children, which is around 463 million children couldn’t not access remote learning amid the closure of schools due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Reserve Bank of India has announced the simultaneous purchase and sale of government securities (G-Secs) under open market operations worth _________ recently.
1) Rs. 15,000 crore
2) Rs. 10,000 crore
3) Rs. 20,000 crore
4) Rs. 30,000 crore
5) Rs. 25,000 crore
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Rs. 20,000 crore
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced a simultaneous purchase and sale of government securities (G-Secs) under open market operations (OMO) for an aggregate amount of Rs 20,000 crore in two equal tranches of Rs 10,000 crore on August 27, 2020 and September 03, 2020 on account of current and evolving liquidity and market conditions.
- Which private sector bank has partnered with Adobe to enhance the Digital Experiences of Customers.
1) HDFC Bank
2) ICICI Bank
3) RBL Bank
4) IDBI Bank
5) None of the Above
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) HDFC Bank
HDFC Bank announced a strategic partnership with Adobe to enhance the Digital Experiences of its Customers. The partnership is powered by Adobe Experience Cloud Solutions and will help HDFC Bank to deliver personalized digital experiences to existing as well as new customers, at anytime and anywhere.
- Which insurance company has launched 1st of its kind technology service named ‘Smart Assist’?
1) Reliance Life Insurance Company
2) TATA AIG Life Insurance Company
3) ICICI Lombard Life Insurance Company
4) Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance Company
5) Oriental Insurance Company Limited
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance Company
Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance Company Limited has launched ‘Smart Assist’, a 1st of its kind technology service in the insurance industry. Through a secure screen sharing feature, the service allows the customers to connect with the company to avail real-time assistance on completing the purchase anywhere. It helps the customers to know about product details while enjoying virtual assistance and maintaining social distance protocol.
- Find the company which has partnered with Innoviti Payment Solutions to develop installments platform for face-to-face transactions.
1) Capital One
5) American Express
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Visa
Innoviti Payment Solutions Pvt. Ltd. (Innoviti) and Visa have partnered to develop an installment platform, which will enable the issuers to extend credit to their cardholders at face-to-face Point of Sale (PoS) in India. The installments platform with the suite of platform capabilities leveraging Innoviti’s uniPAYNEXT platform and Visa’s APIs, provides shoppers the ability to choose how they pay during the purchase.
- Which company collaborated with Nepal’s Sastodeal to open new market for MSMEs?
5) None of the Above
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Flipkart
Walmart-owned Flipkart on announced it has entered into a strategic partnership with Nepal’s Sastodeal, a move that will help lakhs of Flipkart sellers get access to the neighbouring country’s e-commerce market. Under the partnership, Sastodeal will host over 5,000 products from Flipkart marketplace sellers operating across the categories. Flipkart Private Brands – MarQ and SmartBuy – will also be listed on the Sastodeal platform with a focus on categories such as electronics, home appliances/home decor and furnishings.
- National e-Governance Division (NeGD) signed MoU with CSC e-governance services India to facilitate ‘which’ app’s services to citizens through Common Service Centers?
3) SHIKSHA VANI
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) UMANG
National e-Governance Division (NeGD), Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with CSC (Common Service Center) e Governance Services India Limited to facilitate delivery of UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-Age Governance) app services to citizens through the network of 3.75 lakh CSCs.
- Association of Indian Football Coaches (AIFC) signed MoU with which country’s coaches’ association recently?
1) United Kingdom
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Australia
Association of Indian Football Coaches (AIFC) and Football Coaches Australia (FCA) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to support the development of football in both India and Australia.
- Find the company which has signed MoU with Israel based REE automotive to develop electric commercial vehicle.
1) Ashok Leyland
2) Mahindra & Mahindra
3) Force Motors
4) Hindustan Motors
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Mahindra & Mahindra
Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M), a Mumbai based company (a part of Mahindra Group) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with REE Automotive, a Tel-Aviv, Israel based startup firm to explore development and manufacturing of electric commercial vehicles for the global market.
- Who heads the 5-member committee constituted by central government to review charter of duties of 57 DRDO labs?
1) Valipe Ramagopal Rao
2) Sandeep Singh
3) S Somanath
4) Benjamin Lionel
5) Samir Vankatpati Kamat
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Valipe Ramagopal Rao
G Satheesh Reddy, Secretary, Department of Defence Research and Development (DDR&D), and Chairman of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has constituted the five-member committee under the chairmanship of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi director Valipe Ramagopal Rao to review charter of duties of 57 DRDO labs on the basis of current and futuristic defence and battlefield needs.
- Who has bagged 2020 International Booker Prize for the book ‘The Discomfort of Evening’ (youngest author to receive the award)?
1) David Grossman
2) Jokha al-Harthi
3) Marieke Lucas Rijneveld
5) Han Kang
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Marieke Lucas Rijneveld
Dutch Author Marieke Lucas Rijneveld won the 2020 International Booker Prize for the Literary fiction book ‘The Discomfort of Evening’. Rijneveld became the youngest author to win the prize at the age of 29. The Book was first published in Dutch in 2018 and eventually translated into English by Michele Hutchison. The International Booker prize is separate from the main Booker Prize.
- Who represented India in 5th BRICS Industry ministers meeting held recently?
1) Ashwini Kumar Choubey
2) Som Prakash
3) Arjun Ram Meghwal
4) Babul Supriyo
5) Anurag Thakur
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Som Prakash
Som Prakash, Union Minister of State for Commerce and Industry represented India and addressed the 5th BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) Industry Ministers Meeting held through Virtual Conference. In the meeting they discussed the ways to enhance cooperation in areas like 5G, Artificial Intelligence(AI) & industrial Internet, among BRICS countries. The meeting adopted a Joint Declaration to commence the implementation of the BRICS Partnership on New Industrial Revolution (PartNIR).
- The Competition Commission of India has approved the acquisition of 64.90% of share capital of J B Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Limited by which company?
2) JPMorgan Chase
3) Tau Investment Holdings
5) ING Group
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Tau Investment Holdings
The Competition Commission of India (CCI) approved the acquisition of up to 64.90% of share capital of J B Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Limited by Tau Investment Holdings Pte. Ltd. (Tau Investment). CCI gave a nod to the acquisition of compulsorily convertible preference shares and few equity shares of Nxtra Data Limited (Airtel’s data centre business), by Carlyle Group’s Comfort Investments II. Also, Under Section 31(1) of the Competition Act, 2002, CCI has approved the acquisition by Lightstone Fund S.A., for and on behalf of Lightstone Global Fund (LGT) of certain equity stakes in the following: 91Streets Media Technologies Pvt. Ltd. (91Streets), Ascent Health and Wellness Solutions Pvt. Ltd. (Ascent). API Holdings Pvt. Ltd. (API), Aahaan Commercials Pvt. Ltd. (Aahaan) and Lokprakash Vidhya Pvt. Ltd. (Lokprakash).
- The IIT Alumni Council along with Russoft and ‘which’ university going to build the world’s largest and fastest hybrid quantum computer in India?
1) Nanyang Technological University
2) Imperial College London
3) ETH Zurich
4) Moscow State University
5) University of Hong Kong
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Moscow State University
Indian Institute of Technology’s (IIT) Alumni Council has signed an agreement with Russia’s Lomonosov Moscow State University (MSU) and Russoft, an association of software developing companies, to access and transfer key technologies from Russia to build the world’s largest and fastest hybrid quantum computer in India. The agreement with Russia is the first step to aggregate global key technologies from front runners.
- Software Technology Parks of India (STPI) plans to set up ______ centres of excellence this year.
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) 21
State-owned Software Technology Parks of India (STPI) expects to have the largest ecosystem of incubating new technologies in the country by setting up 21 centres of excellence as per STPI Director General Omkar Rai.
- Cricketer Cameron White who announced retirement recently played for which country?
1) South Africa
2) West Indies
3) New Zealand
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Australia
Australian All-Rounder Cameron Leon White announced his retirement from Cricket at the age of 37. He has captained the Australian Team Seven Times including One Day International (ODI) & Twenty20 Internationals(T20I). He has represented Australia in 4 Tests, 91 ODIs & 47 T20Is scoring 146 runs in Tests, 2072 in ODIs and 984 runs in T20I.
- Who released a book titled, “National Security Challenges: Young Scholars’ Perspective”?
1) K. M. Cariappa
2) Manoj Mukund Naravane
3) Bipin Rawat
4) Karambir Singh
5) Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Manoj Mukund Naravane
General Manoj Mukund (MM) Naravane, Chief of Army Staff released a book titled, “National Security Challenges: Young Scholars’ Perspective” authored by university students, ranging from the undergraduate level to doctoral candidates. The book contains various themes pertaining to national security. It aims to develop strategic thinking among the youth of this country. The book was published by Centre for Land Warfare Studies (CLAWS), the Army think-tank. The book is a tribute to Field Marshal Manekshaw, the strategist of 1971 Indo-Pakistan War, that resulted in the liberation of Bangladesh.
- Computer designer, Arnold Spielberg who passed away in August 2020, was the co-designer of which among the following?
1) IBM z9 mainframe computer
2) IBM 704 mainframe computer
3) GE-225 mainframe computer
4) GE-s45 mainframe computer
5) None of the Above
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) GE-225 mainframe computer
Arnold Spielberg (Full Name- Arnold Meyer Spielberg), a Pioneered computer designer & an innovative engineer passed away at the age of 103 in Los Angeles, California of natural causes. He along with Charles Propster designed (in late 1950s) the GE-225 mainframe computer, while he worked for General Electric. He is the father of filmmaker Steven Spielberg. He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, on February 6, 1917. He helped to develop the 1st point-of-sale computerised cash register, it is regarded as his greatest contribution. He designed and patented the 1st electronic library system, which was implemented as an interrogation system for data stored on an array of magnetic tapes.
- Name the app which was launched by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh for NCC training?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) DGNCC
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launched Directorate General National Cadet Corps (DGNCC), a mobile training app which will help in conducting a countrywide online training for the National Cadet Corps (NCC).
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Pulikkali is the folk art form of which state?
1) Madhya Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Kerala
The street pageant of Thrissur will be an online-only affair this year due to COVID-19 Pulikkali is an inevitable part of Onam Celebrations in Thrissur, Kerala. The hallmark street pageant of the cultural capital will bring the curtains down for the Onam celebrations.
- Hirakud Dam is built across which river?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Mahanadi
Twenty-four of the 64 sluice gates of Hirakud Dam were opened on August 28, 2020 by authorities to discharge the floodwaters, following incessant rain that caused Mahanadi river water level to rise. Hirakud is the longest earthen Dam in the world and stands across the mighty river, Mahanadi, in the Sambalpur region of Odisha.
- Arun Jaitley cricket stadium (formerly Feroz Shah Kotla cricket stadium) is located in which state/UT?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Delhi
The Arun Jaitley stadium (formerly known Feroz Shah Kotla cricket stadium) is located in Delhi.
- Who is the present Union Minister for Commerce and Industry?
1) Ravi Shankar Prasad
2) Anurag Thakur
3) Nirmala Sitharaman
4) Piyush Goyal
5) None of the Above
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Piyush Goyal
Piyush Goyal is the Minister of Railways and Minister of Commerce & Industry in the Government of India.
- Which country holds the chairmanship of BRICS in 2020?
5) South Africa
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Russia
BRICS: chairmanship 2020 – Russia (India will assume the chairmanship of BRICS in 2021).