AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 23 April 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Name the Institute which is 1st in the country to carry out plasma research under trial in view of covid-19 (signed MoU with ICMR).
1) Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University
2) Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Institute of Medical Science and Research
3) King George’s Medical University
4) Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research
5) Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Institute of Medical Science and Research
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel (SVP) Institute of Medical Science and Research or SVPIMSR has signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) & becomes the 1st authorized study centre in the country to carry out study the plasma research under trial in view of COVID 19.
- Name the Indian state which has launched eSanjeevaniOPD recently.
1) Himachal Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Himachal Pradesh
Himachal Pradesh government has started to use eSanjeevaniOPD through which free online medical consultation & general health advice will be provided to the people at their residence throughout the state from doctors of different medical colleges from 9:30 AM to 4:00 PM on all working days.
- Which state government has approved 3rd edition of ‘Sujalam Sufalam Jal Sanchay Abhiyan’ (SSJA)a conservation plan to deepen water bodies in the state.
5) Haryana2) Gujarat
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Gujarat
The chief minister (CM) of Gujarat Vijay Rupani has approved the 3rd edition of his government’s ‘Sujalam Sufalam Jal Sanchay Abhiyan’ (SSJA), a conservation plan to deepen water bodies in the state before monsoon. The scheme will continue till June 10, 2020 with a focus on deepening of lakes, check dams and rivers by removing silt. It will be done with people’s participation as well as under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA).
- Name the organisation which has released the fourth annual Global Report on Food Crises (GRFC 2020) titled “2020 Global Report on Food Crises-Joint Analysis for better decisions”.
1) World Health Organization (WHO)
2) International Monetary Fund (IMF)
3) Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
4) International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
5) World Food Programme (WFP)
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) World Food Programme (WFP)
In accordance with the fourth annual Global Report on Food Crises (GRFC 2020) titled “2020 Global Report on Food Crises-Joint Analysis for better decisions” by United Nation’s (UN) World Food Programme (WFP), the coronavirus pandemic could nearly double the number of people around the world facing acute hunger.It should be noted that the WEP estimates that $350m (£280m) needed immediately, but only about a quarter of the sum has yet been available.
- The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) has adopted the resolution, ‘equitable, efficient and timely’ access to any future vaccines developed to fight against COVID-19 without any voting. Who is the present Secretary General of UN?
1) Kristalina Georgieva
2) Tijjani Muhammad-Bande
3) Guy Ryder
4) Antonio Guterres
5) Tedros Adhanom
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Antonio Guterres
Members of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) adopted the resolution, ‘equitable, efficient and timely’ access to any future vaccines developed to fight against COVID-19 without any voting.The World Health Organization (WHO) faced criticism from the Washington and the others for playing a major role in the resolution.Secretary-General– Antonio Guterres
- Find the Indian badminton player who has been named as one of the ambassadors of Badminton World Federation’s (BWF) ‘I am badminton’ campaign.
1) Lakshya Sen
2) PV Sindhu
3) Srikanth Kidambi
4) Sai Praneeth
5) Saina Nehwal
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) PV Sindhu
World Champion PV Sindhu, named as one of the ambassadors for Badminton World Federation’s (BWF’s) “I am badminton” awareness campaign to provide a platform for the players to express their love and respect for the sport.
- Who among the following has been appointed as the President of International Motorcycle Manufacturers Association (IMMA)?
1) Rakesh Sharma
2) Takahiro Hachigo
3) Ravi Shankar
4) Johannes Loman
5) Sreedhar Krishnamurthy
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Rakesh Sharma
Rakesh Sharma, Executive Director (ED), Bajaj Auto, was appointed as the President of International Motorcycle Manufacturers Association (IMMA) for a two-year mandate. IMMA represents the manufacturing industry of powered two-wheelers at the global level. He was the successor of Johannes Loman.
- Name the person who has won William E. Colby Award 2020 for his book titled “Midnight in Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World’s Greatest Nuclear Disaster”.
1) Robert Graves
2) Alun Lewis
3) Adam Higginbotham
4) Nicholas Monsarrat
5) Edmund Blunden
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Adam Higginbotham
Adam Higginbotham won the William E. Colby Award 2020 for his book “Midnight in Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World’s Greatest Nuclear Disaster” & won USD 5,000 prize.
- Union agriculture minister Narendra Singh Tomar has attended the G-20 Extraordinary Agriculture Ministers Meeting through video conference. Name the country which is permanent guest invitee of G20 Nations.
1) New Zealand
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Spain
Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar participated in G-20 Extraordinary Agriculture Ministers Meeting to address the issue of COVID-19 impacts on food security, safety and nutrition. The members of G20 are: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Republic of Korea, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, United Kingdom (UK), United States (US), and European Union (EU). Spain is a permanent guest invitee to the G20 meetings.
- The central government (MoSPI) appointed committee suggested a complete restructure of how states collect and compile data for state-level gross domestic product (GDP) and other estimates. Name the person who heads the committee.
1) V K Paul
2) Tapan Roy
3) Ravindra H Dholakia
4) Amit Khare
5) Vijay Raghavan
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Ravindra H Dholakia
A government-appointed committee for sub-national accounts has suggested a complete restructure of how states collect and compile data for state-level gross domestic product (GDP) and other estimates.The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MOSPI) on June 30, 2018 formed a 13-member committee to review the methodology of estimation of sub-national accounts (state & district), revise the base year for national accounts or GDP calculation & suggest recommendations. It is headed by Ravindra H Dholakia, a retired professor of IIM Ahmedabad.
- Norway topped “The World Press Freedom Index 2020’ compiled by Paris-based Reporters Sans Frontieres (RSF) among 180 countries, what is the rank of India in the index?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) 142
The rank of India has decreased by two places to 142nd from 140th position with a score of 45.33 in the “The World Press Freedom Index 2020” which has analysed 180 countries. This decline in rank is showing an improvement in the security of Indian media as in 2019 there was no murders of journalists were recorded as against six in 2018.The World Press Freedom Index is compiled by Paris-based Reporters Sans Frontieres (RSF), or Reporters Without Borders. The index has been topped by Norway with a score of 7.84 while North Korea stood at last rank of 180 with score of 85.82.
Rank Country Score 1 Norway 7.84 2 Finland 7.93 3 Denmark 8.13 142 India 45.33 180 North Korea 85.82
- What is India’s rank in terms of production of electricity in the world as per International Energy Agency (IEA) data in 2019?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) 3
As per the latest key world energy statistics published by the IEA in 2019, India is the 3rd largest producer of electricity in the world and it ranks 106th in terms of per capita consumption in 2017. Stating this in a written reply in the Lok Sabha today Shri R.K. Singh, Minister of State (IC) for Power, New & Renewable Energy and the Minister of State for Skill Development & Entrepreneurship stated that reforms in power sector is a continuous process due to changes in the situation. India has become power surplus from power deficit situation.
- Name the tech giant company which has acquired 9.99% stake in Reliance Jio for Rs. 43,574 crores (largest FDI in telecom sector).
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Facebook
The US tech giant Facebook has bought a 9.99% stake in the telecom unit of Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL), Reliance Jio for $5.7 billion, or Rs 43,574 crore. This is the largest investment for a minority stake by a technology company anywhere in the world and the largest Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the technology sector in India.
- Which municipal corporation has developed “Saiyam”mobile app to track home quarantined people?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Pune
In a bid to ensure effective monitoring of home quarantine citizens, who have recently returned from international trips and those discharged after treatment for coronavirus (COVID-19), the Pune Municipal Corporation has developed a mobile application called ‘Saiyam’ under the Smart City Mission (SCM).
- The Technology Department Board (TDB) under Department of Science and Technology (DST) has approved fund for which company for production of COVID-19 diagnostics kit.
1) Biocon Limited
2) Indian Immunologicals Limited
3) Shantha Biotechnics Limited
4) Bharat Biotech
5) MyLab Discovery Solutions
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) MyLab Discovery Solutions
Technology Development Board (TDB), Department of Science and Technology (DST), has approved financial support to MyLab Discovery Solutions, Pune to increase the production of COVID-19 diagnostic kits developed by them in response to their application in response to the invitation for the proposals for technologically innovative solutions towards fighting COVID-19.
- Name the Indian institute which has developed magnetic RAM which enables higher data storage & faster computation.
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) IIT-Mandi
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)- Mandi team, developed a magnetic Random-Access Memory (RAM) using spintronic technology which is faster, more energy-efficient and capable of storing more information in a smaller volume than existing data storage technologies. The research by the IIT team has been published in IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, a reputed international journal.
- The Researchers at Agharkar Research Institute (ARI) has developed a biosensor named “Bug sniffer” which detects pathogens faster. Where is ARI located at?
2) New Delhi
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Pune
Researchers at the Agharkar Research Institute (ARI) of Pune, Maharashtra have developed a low-cost biosensor namely “bug sniffer”to rapidly detect bacteria. This portable device can detect 10 bacterial cells from a sample size of one milliliter in just 30 minutes.This research is led by Dr. Dhananjay Bodas, and has been published in the Journal of Biotechnology.
- The tropical butterfly conservatory has been developed in which Indian state to create awareness about butterfly and its importance in ecology?
3) Andhra Pradesh
5) Tamil Nadu
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Tamil Nadu
The Tropical Butterfly Conservatory Tiruchirappalli (TBCT) has been developed in Tamil Nadu’s Tiruchirappalli to create awareness among the public about the importance of the butterfly and its ecology.
- Alireza Firouzja, who has beaten Norway’s world chess champion Magnus Carlsen in the final of the Banter Blitz Cup 2020, belongs to which country?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Iran
Alireza Firouzja, a 16-year-old Iranian chess player, has defeated world chess champion Sven Magnus oen Carlsen of Norway in the final of the Banter Blitz Cup 2020 with 8.5-7.5 scores to claim the $14,000 prize. The tournament, hosted by chess24.com in association with Opera and JFD bank from September 25, 2019- April 15,2020, was one of the most phenomenal blitz games ever played online.
- Gene Deitch who passed away recently is one of the directors of which among the following popular cartoon?
1) The Simpsons
3) The Fairly OddParents
4) Tom and Jerry
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Tom and Jerry
Eugene Merril Deitch, Oscar-winning illustrator and animator, film director and producer passed away at the age of 95 in Prague, Czech Republic. He was born on April 8, 1924 in Chicago, Illinois, US (United States).He was one of the directors behind world’s most popular cartoons and directed 13 episodes of Tom and Jerry. Deitch directed multiple episodes of the ‘Popeye the Sailor’ series and also directed popular animator cartoons such as Munro, Tom Terrific and Nudnik.
- The theme for 50th edition of Earth Day 2020 is “Climate Action”. When was the Earth day celebrated annually?
1) March 23
2) March 28
3) April 22
4) June 12
5) October 6
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) April 22
Earth day is observed on April 22 of every year in order to create awareness about pollution and to celebrate the environment of our planet. This year is a special occasion as it marks the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day and events was coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network in more than 193 countries. The theme for Earth Day 2020 is “Climate Action”. International Mother Earth Day 2020 is also observed every year on April 22, to raise awareness about issues that lead to nature’s suffering.
- International Mother Earth Day 2020 was observed every year on __ ?
1) March 22
2) March 28
3) April 22
4) June 12
5) October 22
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) April 22
Explanation:International Mother Earth Day is observed every year on April 22, to raise awareness about issues that lead to nature’s suffering. This Mother Earth Day, coinciding with the Super Year of Biodiversity, is focused on its role as an indicator of the Earth’s health.
United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution formally recognizing the day as International Mother Earth Day. On Earth Day 2016, the United Nations formally adopted the Paris Agreement.
- “Noor” is the 1st military satellite of which country?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-Iran
Iran’s first military satellite, Noor, was launched on April 23, 2020 from central Iran in two stages. The launch was successful and the satellite reached orbit.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is the HQ of World Food Programme (WFP) located?
- Where is the Headquarters of Badminton World Federation (BWF) located at?
AnswerAnswer-Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- What is the capital and currency of Iran?
AnswerAnswer-capital – Tehran & currency – Rial
- Black Buck national park is located at which Indian state?
- Bakra dam is in which state?