AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 23 & 24 August 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- The National Commission on Population has projected India’s population to be more feminine in which year?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) 2036
The National Commission on Population under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) submitted the Report of the Technical group on population projections July 2020, titled “Population projections for India and States 2011- 2036”. The report projected that the India’s sex ratio of the total population (females per 1000 males) is expected to be more feminine in 2036 compared to the population as of 2011.
- Name the organization which invited countries to join its COVID-19 Vaccine Global Access (COVAX) facility by August 31, 2020.
1) Amnesty International
2) United Nations Children’s Fund
3) Commonwealth of Nations
4) World Health Organisation
5) World Economic Forum
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) World Health Organisation
In order to provide rapid, fair and equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines worldwide, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has invited countries to join its Covid-19 Vaccine Global Access (COVAX) facility by August 31, 2020. This facility is led by the WHO, along with the GAVI vaccine alliance (formerly the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation), and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI). Its aim is to deliver 2 billion doses of effective, approved COVID-19 vaccines by the end of 2021.
- Name the country which discovered the large natural gas reserve off Black Sea.
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Turkey
Recently, Turkey has found its biggest ever (a 320 billion cubic metre) natural gas field discovery in Black Sea. The gas field will become functional in 2023. Turkey is determined to become a net energy exporter. The discovery has a potential to transform Turkey’s dependence on Russia, Iran and Azerbaijan for energy imports. At present Turkey is having a chronic current account deficit, any reduction in Turkey’s energy import bill would boost its finances. It will also help the Lira (Currency of Turkey) to recover against the dollar.
- Which regional rural bank has partnered with SBI General Insurance Company to sell general insurance products?
1) Allahabad UP Gramin Bank
2) Andhra Pradesh Grameena Vikas Bank
3) Assam Gramin Vikash Bank
4) Chaitanya Godavari Grameena Bank
5) Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank
Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank (KVGB) and SBI General Insurance Co Ltd have signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) in Dharwad, Karnataka to sell general insurance products through the branches of KVGB. The MoU was signed by BC Ravichandra, General Manager of KVGB, and Mahendra Tripathi, Head (Compliance and Legal), SBI General Insurance Co Ltd.
- Find the private sector bank which has partnered with Accenture for its digital transformation journey.
1) ICICI Bank
2) RBL Bank
3) Yes Bank
4) Axis Bank
5) HDFC Bank
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) RBL Bank
RBL Bank has entered into a strategic partnership with Accenture to transform and enhance the future readiness of the bank’s Information Technology (IT) systems and accelerate its digital transformation journey. The alliance will enable RBL Bank to offer next-generation banking services, boost the resilience and scalability of its systems and business processes, and also to improve its operational efficiency.
- Which bank has collaborated with AddaCorner to launch ‘Online Home Carnival’?
1) State Bank of India
2) Punjab National Bank
3) Canara Bank
4) United Bank of India
5) Indian Bank
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) State Bank of India
State Bank of India (SBI) has partnered with India’s First Real-Time Group Negotiation E-Platform, AddaCorner to launch ‘Online Home Carnival’, which will help in boosting the Real Estate market in Bangalore.
- Tata capital limited has launched new service called, ‘Swift Insta Personal Loans’ on which platform?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Whatsapp
Tata Capital Ltd (Tata Capital), the financial services arm of the Tata Group launched its new service called, ‘Swift Insta Personal Loans’ (SIPL) on WhatsApp. Through the new service, the existing customers can easily apply for loans and receive sanctions for personal loans (on a single platform) using TIA, a chatbot of Tata Capital on Whatsapp.
- Which insurance company was renamed as Care Health Insurance company recently?
1) HealthCare Global Enterprises Limited
2) Religare Health Insurance Company Limited
3) Indraprastha Medical Corporation Limited
4) Apollo Hospitals Enterprises Limited
5) Aster DM Healthcare Limited
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Religare Health Insurance Company Limited
Religare Health Insurance Company, subsidiary health insurance of Religare Enterprises, has changed its name to ‘Care Health Insurance’ and became effective from August 19, 2020.
- Name the ministry which has signed MoU with Travel Agents Association of India (TAAI) and FICCI Ladies Organisation (FLO) for women empowerment.
1) Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
2) Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
3) Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
4) Ministry of Tourism
5) Ministry of Women and Child Development
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Ministry of Tourism
Travel Agents Association of India (TAAI) and Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) Ladies Organisation (FLO) inked a formal Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Ministry of Tourism for women empowerment through video conference. The MoU was inked in the presence of Minister of State (MoS) for Tourism (Independent Charge-IC), Prahlad Singh Patel.
- Name the person who has been appointed as the Managing Director of State Bank of India.
1) PK Gupta
2) BP Sharma
3) Ashwani Bhatia
4) Arijit Basu
5) Dinesh Khara
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Ashwani Bhatia
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi appointed Ashwani Bhatia, Deputy Managing Director (DMD), State Bank of India (SBI) as the Managing Director (MD) of SBI, effective from his date of assumption upto the date of his superannuation (May 31, 2022) or until further orders, whichever is earlier. He succeeds PK Gupta, who superannuated on March 31, 2020.
- Who has been appointed as the new Election Commissioner of India with effect from August 31, 2020?
1) Amitabh Kant
2) Ajit Doval
3) Rajiv Kumar
4) Ajay Tyagi
5) VK Paul
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Rajiv Kumar
Retired IAS officer and Former Finance Secretary Rajiv Kumar was appointed as the Election Commissioner with effect from August 31, 2020. He succeeds Ashok Lavasa who resigned the position to join as Vice-President of Asia Development Bank. He will be working alongside other Election Commissioner Sushil Chandra.
- Who among the following was not conferred with Rajiv Gandhi Khel ratna award in national sports awards 2020?
1) Rohit Sharma
2) Manika Batra
3) Mariyappan Thangavelu
4) Shashi Malik
5) Vinesh Phogat
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Shashi Malik
National Sports Awards 2020 were announced by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports. The awards were recommended by the Selection Committee headed by Justice (Retd.) Mukundakam Sharma (former Judge of Supreme Court of India) and after due scrutiny, the Government has decided to confer awards upon the deserving sportspersons, coaches and entities under various categories. For the first time in the history of National Sports awards that 5 sportsperson named for Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award and 27 athletes for Arjuna Award. Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award:
Number of Awardees: 5
Name of the Sportsperson Discipline Rohit Sharma Cricket Mariyappan Thangavelu Para Athletics Manika Batra Table Tennis Vinesh Phogat Wrestling Rani Rampal Hockey
- Who is going to receive 2020 leadership award from US-India Strategic Partnership Forum (USISPF)?
1) Anand Mahindra
2) Shantanu Narayen
3) Satya Nadella
4) Both 1) and 2)
5) Both 1) and 3)
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Both 1) and 2)
US-India Strategic Partnership Forum (USISPF) announced that Mahindra Group Chairman, Anand Mahindra and Adobe Chairman & Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Shantanu Narayen will receive the 2020 Leadership Awards for their exemplary vision and effort towards the promotion of US-India Bilateral Ties.
- The 6th round table of ASEAN-India Network of Think Tanks (AINTT) was organized recently. Which country hold chairmanship of ASEAN 2020?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Vietnam
Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) in partnership with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand organized the two-day long 6th Round Table of ASEAN-India Network of Think Tanks (AINTT) through video conference on the theme “ASEAN-India: Strengthening Partnership in the Post COVID Era”. ASEAN is an acronym for Association of Southeast Asian Nations. ASEAN 2020 Chairmanship– Vietnam.
- Which Insurance company has signed agreement with Bharati AXA insurance company to merge insurance businesses?
1) Reliance General Insurance Company
2) TATA AIG General Insurance Company
3) ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company
4) Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company
5) Oriental Insurance Company Limited
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company
ICICI Lombard General Insurance Co. Ltd. (ICICI Lombard) and Bharti AXA General Insurance Co. Ltd. (Bharti AXA) have signed definitive agreements to merge their insurance business. The merger will happen through a scheme of arrangement. The proposed merged non-life insurance company (combined entity) will have a market share of 8.7% on a pro-forma basis. The deal values Bharti AXA at around Rs 2,700 crore.
- Union Minister for Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution Ram Vilas Paswan launched online registration and renewal of gold hallmarking centres recently. The hallmarking of gold will be mandatory from _______.
1) June 30, 2022
2) August 31, 2021
3) June 1, 2021
4) January 1, 2021
5) March 31, 2022
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) June 1, 2021
Union Minister for Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution Ram Vilas Paswan virtually launched an online system for registration and renewal of license of gold assaying and hallmarking (A&H) centres. The online system can be accessed through the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) web portal – www.manakonline.in. The hallmarking of gold which is voluntary at present, will be made mandatory from 1st June, 2021.
- Who launched the book named “Gastric Cancer” edited by Dr Ashok K. Vaid?
1) Jitendra Singh
2) Nitin Gadkari
3) Prahlad Singh Patel
4) Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
5) Smriti Irani
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Jitendra Singh
Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh launched a book on cancer – “Gastric Cancer” edited by Dr Ashok K. Vaid. He is a Noted Oncologist and was awarded Padma Shri in 2009 for his outstanding work in the field of medicine. The book was launched during a special session organized during the 3 -day virtual conference on Oncology. The book is published by Springer Healthcare Education.
- The UN’s International Day commemorating the victims of acts of violence based on religion or belief was observed annually on ______.
1) August 23
2) August 15
3) August 22
4) August 21
5) August 29
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) August 22
United Nations(UN)’s International Day Commemorating the Victims of Acts of Violence Based on Religion or Belief is observed annually on August 22 as a response to the violence based on religion and belief. This year marks the 2nd International Day Commemorating the Victims of Acts of Violence Based on Religion or Belief. The first International Day Commemorating the Victims of Acts of Violence Based on Religion or Belief was observed on 22nd August 2019. The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) adopted the resolution A/RES/73/296 on 28th May 2019, declaring 22nd August as the International Day Commemorating the Victims of Acts of Violence Based on Religion or Belief.
- The earth overshoot day 2020 was observed on August 22, 2020. The first ever earth overshoot day campaign was launched in which year?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) 2006
Earth Overshoot Day 2020 is observed on August 22, 2020. Earth Overshoot Day is the date when the demands of biological resources and services of the year by humanity exceeds the generation capacity of Earth in that year. The first Global Earth Overshoot Day campaign was launched in 2006. Compared to 2019, The 2020 Earth Overshoot Day was postponed by three weeks to August 22 due to the rare reversal after the lockdown due to COVID-19 pandemic which caused a temporary decline in the carbon emission and wood harvesting and reduced humanity’s footprint by 9.3 percent compared to last year.
- Name the mobile app which was developed by National Highways Authority of India to monitor highway plantation.
1) Gora Path
2) Vishwa Path
3) Nova Path
4) Harit Path
5) None of the Above
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Harit Path
Nitin Jairam Gadkari, Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways launched the mobile app, “Harit Path” for monitoring plantations and transplantation of trees along the highway. during the meeting to review the New Green Highway Policy (Plantation). The mobile app was developed by the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), a Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) under the Ministry of Road and Transport.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Dwijing Festival is celebrated annually on which state?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Assam
The Dwijing Festival is an annual festival set on the banks of ‘Aie’, meaning mother. The festival is a colorful celebration of Assam’s culture. The fourth edition of the Dwijing Festival was graced by the Chief Minister of Assam, Sarbananda Sonowal, and the Finance Minister of Assam, Himanta Biswa Sarma, and other eminent dignitaries. The award-winning fourth edition of Dwijing Festival was organized by the Dwijing Festival Organising Committee under the guidance and leadership of the Minister of Tourism, Chandan Brahma, and in association with Assam Tourism and Bodoland Tourism. The festival has won 5 Awards at WOW Awards Asia – 2020.
- Which is largest island of the world?
1) New Guinea
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Greenland
Greenland lost a record amount of ice during an extra warm 2019, with the melt massive enough to cover California in more than four feet of water, a new study said. After two years when summer ice melt had been minimal, last summer shattered all records with 586 billion tons (532 billion metric tons) of ice melting, according to satellite measurements reported in a study. Last year’s Greenland melt added 1.5 millimeters to global sea level rise. The Greenland is the largest island of the world.
- Supply Chain Resilience Initiative (SCRI) which is in discussion recently will have India & Japan along with which country?
3) United States
4) South Korea
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Australia
India, Japan and Australia have begun discussions on launching a trilateral Supply Chain Resilience Initiative (SCRI) to reduce dependency on China, necessitated by Beijing’s aggressive political and military behaviour. The initiative, first proposed by Japan, is now taking shape, ET has learnt. Dates are being worked out to hold the first meeting of the commerce and trade ministers of the three countries will be announced soon.
- Where is the secretariat of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) located?
4) Singapore City
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Jakarta
The ASEAN Secretariat was set up in February 1976 by the Foreign Ministers of ASEAN. It was then housed at the Department of Foreign Affairs of Indonesia in Jakarta.
- Where is the HQ of RBL bank located?
4) New Delhi
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Mumbai
The headquarters of RBL bank is located in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Pahuj dam is located in which state?
1) Arunachal Pradesh
4) Uttar Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Uttar Pradesh
The government of Uttar Pradesh (UP) signed an agreement with the Israel’s Water Resource Minister for the water resource management in Bundelkhand region in Uttar Pradesh. For the execution of Indo-Israel Bundelkhand water project the Pahuj dam reservoir in Jhansi will be used for the integrated drip irrigation along with the service of the experts of Israel.