AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 22 August 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Name the tribal minister of India who launched the tertiary processing centres of the “Trifood Project” in Maharashtra’s Raigad and Chhattisgarh’s Jagdalpur.
1) Arjun Munda
2) Harsimrat Kaur Badal
3) Harsh Vardhan
4) MahendraNath Pandey
5) Narendra Singh Tomar
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Arjun Munda
Arjun Munda, Union Minister of Tribal Affairs(MoTA) virtually launched the tertiary processing centres of the “Trifood Project” in Raigad, Maharashtra and Jagdalpur, Chhattisgarh. The Trifood project was carried by the MoTA in association with the Ministry of Food Processing Industries(MoFPI) and implemented by the Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED).
- Who launched Food Safety and Standards Authority of India(FSSAI)’s ‘Eat Right India’ Handbook recently?
1) Harsh Vardhan
2) RS Prasad
3) Nirmala Sitharaman
5) RajNath Singh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Harsh Vardhan
Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare launched FSSAI’s ‘Eat Right India’ Handbook, a referral guide for officials of different jurisdictions to adopt and scale up the ‘Eat Right India’(ERI) initiatives in their jurisdictions during the online orientation workshop organised by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) as part of its “Eat Right Challenge”.
- Which state/UT’s police has launched ‘EkSankalp – Bujurgokenaam’ campaign?
3) Uttar Pradesh
5) Madhya Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Madhya Pradesh
In the state of Madhya Pradesh, a unique campaign ‘EkSankalp – Bujurgokenaam’ (a commitment for elders) is being run by the Chhatarpur Police in the midst of Pandemic.
- Find the organization which released the report titled ‘Elephants. Not commodities’.
1) Animal Friends of the Valleys
2) World Animal Protection
3) Best Friends Animal Society
4) The Humane Society of Animals
5) Elephant Protection Federation
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) World Animal Protection
On August 12, 2020, during the observance of World Elephant Day 2020, World Animal Protection released the third edition of the report ‘Elephants. Not commodities’ which highlighted that over 200 Elephants in India are kept in ‘Severely Inadequate Conditions’. The report comprises research spanning over a decade in elephant tourism and assessed the entertainment venues across Thailand, India, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Malaysia.
- Which is the 1st foreign bank to launch a ‘Green Deposit Programme’in India?
1) HSBC India
2) Deutsche Bank
3) Standard Chartered Bank
4) DBS Bank
5) Bank of China
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) HSBC India
HSBC India becomes 1st Foreign Bank in India to launch a ‘Green Deposit Programme’ exclusively for corporate clients to finance green initiatives and eco-friendly projects like renewable energy, clean transportation, and pollution prevention among others, that promote transition to a low-carbon, climate resilient and sustainable economy. This will enable companies to support environmentally-beneficial projects.
- Mahesh Kumar Jain the deputy governor of RBI has released the National Strategy for Financial Education (NSFE) 2020-2025 recently. The NFSE 2020-2025 recommends which strategy?
5) None of the Above
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) 5C
On the lines of the review of progress made under the first National Strategy for Financial Education (NSFE: 2013-2018) the revised NSFE (2020-2025) has been prepared and the document for the same was released by Mahesh Kumar Jain, Deputy Governor, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on August 20, 2020.There are the Strategic Objectives laid down in NSFE 2020-2025 and in order to achieve them, the document recommends adoption of a ‘5 C’ approach viz. Content, Capacity, Community, Communication and Collaboration.There should be development of a financial literacy mobile app, and leverage social media.The Strategy also suggests adoption of a robust ‘Monitoring and Evaluation Framework’ to assess the progress made under the Strategy.
- Name the company which partnered with National Skill Development Corporation to offer a free digital education platform for skill development.
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) IBM
IBM (International Business Machines Corporation) announced its collaboration with National Skill Development Corporation(NSDC) to offer a free digital education platform on emerging technologies and professional skill development and to equip the next generation with digital skills.IBM will manage an online course from Open P-Tech platform and will offer it to the users through eSkill India Portal of NSCD.
- Which ministry has signed MoU with Ministry of shipping for development in port and maritime sector?
1) Ministry of Culture
2) Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
3) Ministry of Human Resource Development
4) Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
5) Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the Ministry of Shipping (MoS) and Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship(MSDE) for skilling, re-skilling and upskilling of manpower in Port, Maritime sectors.
- Which IIM has signed MoU with Switzerland based HELP logistics?
1) Indian Institute of Management Indore
2) Indian Institute of Management Visakhapatnam
3) Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad
4) Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode
5) Indian Institute of Management Rohtak
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode
Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode (IIM-K) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Switzerland based HELP Logistics to engage in a collaborative partnership to provide consulting services and logistics training for the humanitarian community in South Asia.
- Name the ministry which signed a joint communicationagreement with Ministry of Tribal Affairs to promote sustainable livelihood opportunities among tribal women SHGs.
1) Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers
2) Ministry of Rural Development
3) Ministry of Road Transport and Highways
4) Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare
5) Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Ministry of Rural Development
Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA) and Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) inked a Joint Communication to promote sustainable livelihood opportunities among tribal women Self Help Groups (SHGs) under National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM). The joint communication was inked by Deepak Khandekar, Secretary MoTA and NagendraNath Sinha, Secretary, MoRD under which A series of activities will be carried out by both the Ministries to improve the economic opportunities available to tribal women.
- Which state government has signed MoU with Reliance Retail, Reliance JioInfocomm and Allana Group to empower women and help women SHGs in the state?
4) Andhra Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Andhra Pradesh
As part of implementation of the YSR Cheyutha scheme, Andhra Pradesh(AP) government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) with Reliance Retail, Reliance JioInfocomm and Allana Group to empower women and help women Self-Help Groups(SHGs) in the state to market their products.
- The Uttar Pradesh government has signed MoU with which country for water resource management in Bundelkhand?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Israel
The government of Uttar Pradesh (UP) signed an agreement with the Israel’s Water Resource Minister for the water resource management in Bundelkhand region in Uttar Pradesh. Ron Malka, Israel’s Ambassador to India and Alok Sinha, Agriculture Production Commissioner of Uttar Pradesh signed the ‘plan of cooperation’ on behalf of Israel and India respectively. The ‘plan of cooperation’ is initially signed for 2 years, with the interest of the project, this will be extended in the future. The project was developed by the MASHAV — Israel’s Agency for International Development Cooperation under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.This cooperation will help with the Indo-Israel Bundelkhand water project undertaken in this region for long term reforms in water management.
- Which organization has signed agreement with Business Swedento boost start-up ecosystem?
1) Finance Commission (FC)
2) Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
3) Atal Innovation Mission (AIM)
4) National Development Council (NDC)
5) None of these
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Atal Innovation Mission (AIM)
Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), NITI Aayog and Business Sweden on behalf of India-Sweden Healthcare Innovation Centre signed a virtual Statement of Intent (SoI) to boost the culture of innovation in India. R Ramanan, Mission Director of AIM, NITI Aayog and Anders Wickberg, Swedish Trade Commissioner to India, on behalf of India Sweden Healthcare Innovation Centre virtually signed the SoI.
- Which India company enters into top 100 on Fortune Global 500 list (August 2020)?
1) State Bank of India
2) Oil and Natural Gas Corporation
3) Reliance Industries
4) Indian Oil Corporation
5) None of the Above
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Reliance Industries
Billionaire MukeshAmbani’s Reliance Industries has jumped 10 places to break into the world’s top 100 companies on the Fortune Global 500 list. The oil-to-telecom conglomerate is ranked 96th in the 2020 ranking released by Fortune. This is the highest any Indian company has been ranked on the Fortune Global 500 list.
- Which edition of world conference of speakers of parliament was attended by Lok Sabha speaker Om Birla recently?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) 5th
Two-day 5th World Conference of Speakers of Parliament (5WCSP) was inaugurated virtually.It was organized jointly by the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), Geneva and the Parliament of Austria with the support of the United Nations (UN).This is the first time that an International Parliamentary Conference is being held in Virtual mode. Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla attended the inaugural ceremony. The theme of the 5WCSP Conference is ‘Parliamentary leadership for more effective multilateralism that delivers peace and sustainable development for the people and planet’.The Second part will be held in physical mode at Vienna, Austria in 2021.
- Which is cleanest city of India (> 10 Lakh population) as announced by Hardeep Singh Puri in 5thannual cleanliness urban survey of India,SwachhSurvekshan 2020?
2) Navi Mumbai
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Indore
Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA), Hardeep Singh Puri, Minister of State (MoS)-Independent Charge (I/C) MoHUA announced the 5th edition of the annual cleanliness urban survey of India i.e.” SwachhSurvekshan 2020 (SS2020)” conducted by MoHUA. A total of 129 awards were given by the minister in which Madhya Pradesh’s Indore Creates record as India’s cleanest city for the 4th consecutive time while Gujarat’s Surat and Maharashtra’s Navi Mumbai grabbed 2nd and 3rd positions respectively.
India’s Cleanest Mega City– Amdavad, Gujarat (>40 Lakh population). The India’s Cleanest Big City– Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh (10-40 Lakh Population). India’s Cleanest Medium City– Mysuru, Karnataka (3-10 Lakh Population). India’s Cleanest Small City– Ambikapur, Chhattisgarh (1-3 Lakh population) & India’s Cleanest Capital– New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC), Delhi.
- The Competition Commission of India has approved 100% proposed acquisition of C&S Electric Limited (C&S) by which company?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Siemens
The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved 100% proposed acquisition of the share capital of the Indian Operations of C&S Electric Limited (C&S) by Siemens Limited (Siemens India). For this purpose, Siemens Ltd has signed an agreement with C&S in January 2020.
- Defence ministry has approved the proposed to expand NCC to how many border and coastal districts?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) 173
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has approved a proposal of the National Cadet Corps(NCC) for a major expansion scheme in 173 border and coastal districts,where one lakh new cadets will be inducted and one-third of them will be girls. A total of 83 NCC units will be upgraded (Army 53, Navy 20, Air Force 10) to provide training to the cadets.
- The Interceptor Boat ‘ICGS C-454’ developed by which company was inducted into the service of the Indian Coast Guard at Surat, Gujarat?
1) Cochin Shipyard Limited
2) Goa Shipyard Limited
3) Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers
4) Mazagon Dock Limited
5) Larsen and Toubro Limited
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Larsen and Toubro Limited
The 27-meter-long Interceptor Boat(IB) ‘ICGS C-454’, built by Larsen and Toubro Ltd(L&T) was launched into the service of the Indian Coast Guard(ICG) by DrHiral Patel, wife of Surat district Collector, Dhaval Patel during a ceremony in Surat.
- The NASA plans to launch Psyche mission (journey to a unique metal asteroid orbiting the Sun between Mars and Jupiter) by which year?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) 2022
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has been working on a spacecraft that will be sent to explore the asteroid 16 Psyche, one of the most massive asteroids in the asteroid belt. It is thought to be almost pure metal in its composition. As per the space agency, one of the key targets of the Psyche spacecraft is to study the asteroid.NASA said that the Psyche spacecraft is targeted to launch in August 2022, and would arrive at the asteroid in early 2026.
- Who has won the 2020 world snooker championship (at Crucible Theatre, Sheffield, England)?
1) Neil Robertson
2) Ronnie O’Sullivan
3) John Higgins
4) Graeme Dott
5) Mark Williams
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Ronnie O’Sullivan
English Professional Snooker Player Ronnie O’Sullivan won the World Snooker Championship for the 6th time by winning the 2020 World Snooker Championship at Crucible Theatre, Sheffield, England. He defeated England’s Kyren Wilson 18-8 in the final of the Betfred World Snooker Championship.
- Name the person who authored the book titled, ‘One Arranged Murder’.
1) Arundhati Roy
3) Amitav Ghosh
4) Vikram Seth
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) ChetanBhagat
A Book Titled ‘One Arranged Murder’ authored by ChetanBhagat will be released worldwide on September 28, 2020. The fiction book portrays a murder mystery in the backdrop of an arranged marriage. The book will be published by Westland Publications Ltd. It is the author’s 9th novel and 11th book overall. Essence of the book- The book not only has an intense suspense but also is filled with humour, love and relatable Indian characters.
- Who authored the book named ‘Grandparents’ Bag of Stories’?
2) Anita Desai
3) Kamila Shamsie
4) Kiran Desai
5) Anuja Chauhan
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) SudhaMurty
On the 70th birthday of award-winning author SudhaMurty, publishing house Penguin Random House India on Wednesday announced her latest collection of short stories, Grandparents’ Bag of Stories. The book, scheduled to be released in November, is a sequel to Murty’s last release Grandma’s Bag of Stories and will feature 20 stories.
- When was UN’s International Day of remembrance and tribute to the victims of terrorism observed annually?
1) 17th August
2) 20th August
3) 21st August
4) 18th August
5) 19th August
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) 21st August
United Nations(UN)’s International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism is annually oserved on 21st August to commemorate and pay tribute to the victims and survivors of Terrorism acoss the globe.The first International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism was observed on 21st August 2018.
- The world senior citizen is observed every year on _____.
1) August 21
2) September 4
3) October 26
4) July 18
5) June 1
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) August 21
World Senior Citizen’s Day is observed annually on August 21 to raise awareness about the various issues including age deterioration and elder abuse that affect senior citizens. The day also acknowledges and appreciates their achievements, dedication, accomplishments, and services they contribute throughout their lives to the society.
- Name the company which launches Kormo Jobs app in India
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Google
Google has launched an android app called “Kormo Jobs” for job seekers in India,which aims to provide entry-level jobs and helps job seekers find and apply for positions across India.It was launched in Bangladesh in 2018 and subsequently in Indonesia.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Teesta River which is in news recently originates in which state?
1) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Sikkim
Bangladesh is likely to receive an almost USD 1 billion loan from China for a comprehensive management and restoration project on the Teesta river. The Teesta river water conflict is one of the most contentious issues between India and Bangladesh and the discussion comes amidst the ongoing India-China standoff in Ladakh. The Teesta river is the tributary of the Brahmaputra (known as Jamuna in Bangladesh), flowing through India and Bangladesh. It originates in the Himalayas near Chunthang, Sikkim and flows to the south through West Bengal before entering Bangladesh.
- The ICAR-Central Institute of Fisheries Technology is located in which city?
5) None of the Above
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Cochin
The ICAR-Central Institute of Fisheries Technology, Cochin, Kerala’s Research Article published in the Current Science entitled “Can sulphated polysaccharides from seaweed provide prophylactic and / or therapeutic solution to Covid-19 pandemic?” has been recognized by the World Health Organisation (WHO).
- The Srisailam Dam is constructed across which river?
1) Mahanadi river
2) Krishna river
3) Narmada river
4) Brahmaputra river
5) Godavari river
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Krishna river
Two bodies have been recovered from the site where a massive fire broke out inside the Srisailam left bank hydroelectric project’s powerhouse of the Srisailam reservoir. The Srisailam Dam is constructed across Krishna river.
- Chora church which is in news recently is located in which country?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Turkey
After Hagia Sophia, Turkish authorities issued a new presidential decree to re-convert the Byzantine Greek Orthodox Church of the Holy Saviour in Chora into a mosque. It is part of Historic Areas of Istanbul (UNESCO world heritage site).
- Chutka Nuclear Power Plant is located in which state?
3) Uttar Pradesh
5) Madhya Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Madhya Pradesh
The Chutka Nuclear Power Plant is a proposed nuclear power plant to be built on a 1,200 acres’ area, near Chutka Village of Mandla district of Madhya Pradesh. The site is near Kanha National Park, one of the tiger reserves of India and the largest national park of Madhya Pradesh state in India.