AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 20 November 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- The Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (I&B) has issued a notice asking all eligible news websites, portals, aggregators and agencies to comply with its foreign direct investment (FDI) policy (Cabinet Approval in Sep 2019) for digital news media. What is maximum FDI allowed in digital news media?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) 26%
The Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (I&B) has issued a notice asking all eligible news websites, portals, aggregators and agencies which are uploading or streaming news and current affairs through digital media to comply with the 26% foreign direct investment (FDI) policy for digital news media. They need to share suitable details within one month i.e. by December 16, 2020.
This notification is issued on the lines of the Union Cabinet decision’s on September 18, 2019 which had permitted 26% FDI for digital news media under Government approval route. Also, this decision will enable the government to check foreign influence and interference in domestic affairs.
- Name the First City in the Country to get ISO (International Organization for Standardization) 9001:2015 Certification for Faecal Sludge and Septage Management (FSSM) services.
1) Mumbai, Maharashtra
2) Bhubaneswar, Odisha
3) Hyderabad, Telangana
4) Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
5) Kochi, Kerala
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Bhubaneswar, Odisha
Bhubaneswar, Capital of Odisha became the First City in the Country to get ISO (International Organization for Standardization) 9001:2015 Certification for Faecal Sludge and Septage Management (FSSM) services. Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC) was the first civic body to implement FSSM regulations in Odisha. The National Policy on Faecal Sludge and Septage Management (FSSM) was launched by the Ministry of Urban Development in 2017 and FSSM plans are part of AMRUT (Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation) State Level Implementation Plans.
- Which is the first Indian City to have an urban plan with gender-specific designated spaces for the needs of women ?
1) Mumbai, Maharashtra
2) Jaipur, Rajasthan
3) Hyderabad, Telangana
4) New Delhi
5) Amravati, Andhra Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Mumbai, Maharashtra
The financial capital of India, Mumbai (Maharashtra) has become the first city in the country with a gender-specific city’s urban plan which has provisions for designated spaces for the needs of women. The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has added a chapter titled ‘Gender, Special Groups and Social Equity’ under the Revised Draft Development Plan (RDDP) 2034.
The plan proposed “departure from gender blindness to gender mainstreaming”.
- NK Singh, Chairman of the 15th Finance Commission, suggested increasing public spending on the health sector to what % of the GDP by 2024 from 0.95% at present.
1) 3.2 %
2) 1.4 %
3) 4.1 %
4) 2.5 %
5) 3.7 %
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) 2.5 %
The Fifteenth Finance Commission (XVFC) led by Chairman Nand Kishore (NK) Singh has recommended for reprioritising Public-Private Partnerships (PPP) to increase Health Infrastructure Spending, and Public spending on Health in India.
The PPP will increase India’s spending on Health Infrastructure from 0.95% of GDP (Gross Domestic Product) to 2.5% GDP by 2024. It also suggested the constitution of All India Medical Services as envisaged in the Civil Services Act of 1951. NK Singh suggested that Public outlays focus on primary health care at Panchayat & municipality levels, whereas private players should be relied on for specialty healthcare.
On November 9, 2020, The 15th Finance Commission headed by NK Singh submitted its report titled “Finance Commission in COVID Time” to the President of India, Ram Nath Kovind, Prime Minister, Narendra Modi and Union Minister of Finance, Nirmala Sitharaman.
- Which International Airport became the first airport in Asia Pacific Region to get the highest level – Level 4+ Transition – carbon accreditation?
1) Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA), Hyderabad
2) Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA), Delhi
3) Hong Kong International Airport
4) Wellington Airport, New Zealand
5) Changi Airport, Singapore
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA), Delhi
Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA), Delhi, implemented by Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL) became the first airport in Asia Pacific Region to get the highest level – Level 4+ Transition – carbon accreditation. The airport was accredited under ACI’s Airport Carbon Accreditation program for its works in aligning its carbon management with global climate goals to reach net zero emission reduction
The Airport is owned and operated by GMR Group.
The announcement was made by the Airports Council International (ACI) during the ACI Europe Annual Assembly and congress on 17th November 2020.
- Which Country has highest number of infants who had not received the vaccine against measles as per the report “Progress towards Regional Measles Elimination Worldwide 2000-2019” presented by WHO & US CDC (India ranked 5th)?
3) Democratic Republic of the Congo
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Nigeria
In accordance with the new report by World Health Organisation (WHO) and United States (US) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) titled “Progress Towards Regional Measles Elimination Worldwide 2000-2019”, India is among six countries with the highest number of infants who had not received the vaccine against measles.
A total of 1.2 million children did not receive the first dose of measles-containing-vaccine (MCV1) in 2019 in India. The other five countries are Nigeria (3.3 million), Ethiopia (1.5 million), Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) (1.4 million), Pakistan (1.4 million), and Philippines (0.7 million).
- Name the initiative taken by United Nations (UN) in collaboration with The Vaccine Confidence Project (University of London) to counter the misinformation around COVID-19 vaccines.
1) Team Hello
2) COVID Warriors
3) Team Halo
4) Team Yellow
5) Team Red
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Team Halo
The United Nations (UN) has collaborated with The Vaccine Confidence Project at the University of London’s School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine to undertake Team Halo. It is an initiative which aims to counter the misinformation around COVID-19 vaccines.
This initiative has been started after 61% respondents from India are sceptical about COVID-19 vaccines. Team Halo provides a platform to scientists to connect with general public for responding their queries for countering vaccine misinformation.
- Which entity presented the report “Stop the virus of disinformation: the malicious use of social media by terrorist, violent extremist and criminal groups during the COVID-19 Pandemic”?
1) World Health Organisation (WHO)
2) United Nations General Assembly (UNGA)
3) World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
4) United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI)
5) The International Court of Justice (ICJ)
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI)
According to the report titled “Stop the virus of disinformation: the malicious use of social media by terrorist, violent extremist and criminal groups during the COVID-19 Pandemic” released by United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI) groups associated with terrorist organizations like Al-Qaeda and ISIS are exploiting the Pandemic to spread conspiracy theories.
- Who virtually inaugurated the capacity building component of the Pradhan Mantri Formalisation of Micro food processing Enterprises scheme (PM-FME Scheme) and launched Geographic Information System (GIS) One District One Product (ODOP) or GIS ODOP Digital Map of India?
1) Harsimrat Kaur Badal
2) Ram Vilas Paswan
3) Narendra Singh Tomar
4) Piyush Goyal
5) Rameshwar Teli
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Narendra Singh Tomar
Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar, Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI) virtually inaugurated the capacity building component of the Pradhan Mantri Formalisation of Micro food processing Enterprises scheme (PM-FME Scheme). He also launched the Geographic Information System (GIS) One District One Product (ODOP) or GIS ODOP Digital Map of India. The component envisages imparting training to food processing entrepreneurs, various groups, viz., self-help groups (SHGs), Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs), Co-operatives, workers, and other stakeholders associated with the implementation of the PM-FME scheme.
- Which State introduced a scheme to empower persons with disabilities named as ‘__________ Divyangjan Shaktikaran Yojana’?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Punjab
The Punjab Cabinet headed by Chief Minister, Captain Amarinder Singh approved the ‘Punjab Divyangjan Shaktikaran Yojana’ to empower persons with disabilities in a virtual meeting. The Scheme will be implemented in Two Phases. Phase-I will strengthen the existing programmes to ensure that benefits reach people with disabilities. Phase-II will introduce 13 new interventions proposed to be undertaken for empowerment of such persons.
- Which State Government signed a MoU with Bharat Financial Inclusion Ltd (BFIL), a subsidiary of IndusInd Bank to launch Joint initiative titled ‘Maha Pashudhan Sanjeevani’ to enhance doorstep delivery of livestock care to farmers under the ‘Mukhyamantri Pashu Swasthya Yojana’ scheme?
4) Madhya Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Maharashtra
Bharat Financial Inclusion Ltd (BFIL), a subsidiary of IndusInd Bank has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Animal Husbandry Department (AHD) of Maharashtra Government to enhance doorstep delivery of livestock care to farmers in the state. The Joint initiative is titled ‘Maha Pashudhan Sanjeevani’ and will be supported by BFIL as part of its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). The Scheme will be implemented under the Mukhyamantri Pashu Swasthya Yojana.
- Francisco Sagasti, a legislator from the centrist Purple Party, sworn-in as the interim President of which Country?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Peru
Francisco Sagasti, a legislator from the centrist Purple Party, sworn-in as the interim President of Peru. Sagasti will lead the country as the interim president until the 2021 General election. The Congress of the Republic of Peru voted Francisco Sagasti as the interim president to stabilise the protests in the country following the departure of 2 presidents in a week. Sagasti succeeds Manuel Merino, who resigned on 15th November 2020 just after serving 5 days as the interim President of Peru. The government under President Martin Vizcarra, predecessor of Manuel Merino, was impeached by the congress on 9th November 2020.
- Name the Chairman and Managing Director of Oriental Insurance who has been appointed as a Whole-time member (distribution) of the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI).
1) Mridula Sinha
2) Rajkiran Rai G
3) Madhabi puri Buch
4) Ganesh K
5) SN Rajeswari
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) SN Rajeswari
SN Rajeswari, Chairman and Managing Director of Oriental Insurance was appointed as a Whole-time member (distribution) of the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI). She is appointed for a period of 3 years or till attaining the age of 62. The centre appointed her as the CMD of Oriental Insurance in August 2020; she will hold the position as CMD till the end of May 2022. She served as the General Manager of New India Assurance Company limited.
- Which entity/entities hosted Ministerial meeting of the Global Prevention Coalition (GPC) for HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) Prevention 2020?
1) UNAIDS (United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS)
2) WHO (World Health Organization)
3) UNFPA (United Nations Population Fund)
4) Both 1&2
5) Both 1&3
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Both 1&3
The Ministerial meeting of the Global Prevention Coalition (GPC) for HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) Prevention 2020 was virtually hosted by UNAIDS (United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS) and UNFPA (United Nations Population Fund) on behalf of the HIV GPC. From India, Union Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Ministry for Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) addressed the meeting.
- Member States of GPC had agreed to reduce new adult HIV infections by 75% at the end of which year?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) 2020
It should be noted that the Member States of GPC had agreed to reduce new adult HIV infections by 75% at the end of 2020 from 2010 levels. Therefore, this year’s meet was significant in achieving the 2016 UNGA commitment to end AIDS by 2030.
Indian side is also committed to achieve the 90-90-90 targets across the country by the end of 2020 and elimination of (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome) epidemic as a public health threat by 2030.
This target envisages the following by 2020:
90% of people living with HIV will know their HIV status.
90% of people who know their HIV-positive status will be accessing treatment
90% of people on treatment will have suppressed viral loads.
- Which Country provided the 9th Poseidon 8I maritime surveillance aircraft to the Indian Navy at the INS Hansa, Goa Naval Airbase?
4) United States (US)
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) United States (US)
Indian Navy received the 9th Poseidon 8I maritime surveillance aircraft from the United States (US) at the INS Hansa, Goa Naval Airbase. The P-8I Aircraft received on November 18, 2020 is the first of the Four Additional planes ordered by India after completion of the Initial order for eight aircrafts. In 2016, India signed a deal of USD 1.1 Billion with the US for Four Additional P-8I Aircrafts. The P-8I is a variant of the P-8A Poseidon used by the US Navy. It is developed and produced by Boeing Defense, Space & Security (US-based). It is capable of long-range anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare, intelligence, surveillance and surveillance in support of broad area, maritime and littoral operations.
- Mridula Sinha (former president of BJP Mahila Morcha) passed away recently. She was first Woman Governor of which State?
2) Madhya Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Goa
Mirdula Sinha, former and first Woman Governor of Goa and former president of BJP Mahila Morcha passed away at the age of 77 at a hospital in Delhi. She was born on 27th November 1942 in Chhapra, Bihar.
- What was the 2020 theme for United Nations (UN)’s World Toilet Day celebrated across the globe on 19th November?
1) When Nature Calls
3) Sustainable sanitation and climate change
4) Toilets & Jobs
5) Everyone must have sustainable sanitation
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Sustainable sanitation and climate change
United Nations (UN)’s World Toilet Day is annually celebrated across the globe on 19th November to celebrate Toilets and to raise awareness about the 4.2 billion people across the globe who are living without any access to safely managed sanitation. The First UN’s World Toilet Day was observed on 19th November 2013. Every year the UN Water, the UN’s coordination mechanism on water and sanitation sets the theme of the World Toilet Day. The theme of the 2020 World Toilet Day is “Sustainable sanitation and climate change”
- When the Women’s Entrepreneurship Day (WED) is observed across the globe?
1) November 15
2) November 16
3) November 17
4) November 18
5) November 19
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) November 19
The Women’s Entrepreneurship Day (WED) is annually observed across the globe on 19th November to celebrate, empower and support the Women Entrepreneurs in business across the globe. The day highlights the achievements of Women Entrepreneurs and focuses on the challenges they face. The WED was first observed in 2013.
The day is organised by the Women’s Entrepreneurship Day Organization(WEDO) or #ChooseWomen founded by Wendy Diamond, recipient of Ellis Island Medal of Honour.
- What was the 2020’s theme for the International Men’s Day celebrated across the globe on 19th November to create awareness about the difficulties that men face on a global scale?
1) Making a Difference for Men and Boys
2) Positive Male Role Models
3) Celebrating Men and Boys In All Their Diversity
4) Better Health for Men and Boys
5) Stop Male Suicide
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Better Health for Men and Boys
International Men’s Day is annually celebrated across the globe on 19th November to create awareness about the difficulties that men face on a global scale. The day is observed to celebrate the men who make a positive impact on society and influence their gender as a role model. The International Men’s day is supported by more than 80 countries and international organisations.
The theme of the international Men’s Day 2020 is “Better Health for Men and Boys”.
- Name the ISRO’s Geo-Portal cited by United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific’s (ESCAP) in its report titled ‘Geospatial Practices for Sustainable Development in Asia and the Pacific 2020: A Compendium’ for its role in combating COVID-19 in India.
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) BHUVAN
United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific’s (ESCAP) report ‘Geospatial Practices for Sustainable Development in Asia and the Pacific 2020: A Compendium’ has cited the role of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)’s ‘BHUVAN” Geo-Portal in combating COVID-19 in India. It has also cited the efforts of ISRO for supporting sustainable development projects in the country. The report was released by the UN on November 18, 2020. BHUVAN is a national geo-portal developed and hosted by ISRO; it contains geo spatial data, services and tools for analysis for combating COVID-19.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- What is the Capital City of Peru?
3) La Puz
4) Buenos Aires
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Lima
Capital and Currency of ‘Peru’ is ‘Lima’ & ‘Sol’ respectively.
- Where is Indian Institute of Food Processing Technology (IIFPT) located?
1) Pune, Maharashtra
2) Mumbai, Maharashtra
3) Telangana, Hyderabad
4) Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu
5) Bengaluru, Karnataka
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu
The Indian Institute of Food Processing Technology (IIFPT) is a pioneer Research and Educational Institution under the Ministry of Food Processing Industries, Government of India. Dr. V. Subrahmanyan. an eminent scientist and founder Director, Central Food Technological Research Institute, Mysore, after his retirement, started PPRC in 1967 as R & D laboratory in the Modern Rice Mill complex of Thanjavur Co-operative Marketing Federation (TCMF) at Tiruvarur, Tamil Nadu, India under the dedicated leadership and the able guidance of late.
- Where is the headquarters of United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS)?
1) Washington D.C, US
2) Austria, Vienna
3) Geneva, Switzerland
4) Manila, Philippines
5) Paris, France
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Geneva, Switzerland
Headquartered at Geneva, Switzerland, UNAIDS is leading the global effort to end AIDS as a public health threat by 2030 as part of the Sustainable Development Goals.
Since the first cases of HIV were reported more than 35 years ago, 78 million people have become infected with HIV and 35 million have died from AIDS-related illnesses. Since it started operations in 1996, UNAIDS has led and inspired global, regional, national and local leadership, innovation and partnership to ultimately consign HIV to history.
- Lavni is a traditional dance of which Indian state?
1) Uttar Pradesh
2) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Maharashtra
Lavani is a genre of music popular in Maharashtra, India. Lavani is a combination of traditional song and dance, which particularly performed to the beats of Dholki, a percussion instrument. Lavani is noted for its powerful rhythm. Lavani has contributed substantially to the development of Marathi folk theatre.
- Panna National Park located in which state?
1) Uttar Pradesh
4) Madhya Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Madhya Pradesh
The UNESCO has recently included Panna National Park of Madhya Pradesh under its list of Biosphere reserves. Panna National Park is a national park located in Panna and Chhatarpur districts of Madhya Pradesh in India.
According to the United Nations ( UN), a biosphere reserve is where the international agency tries to reconcile the differences between human activity and the preservation of biodiversity. Every year, the status of UNESCO sets a few new sites that will come under its umbrella of Biosphere reserves, while others are removed. This year India’s Panna Tiger Reserve, which spans 576 kilometers in Panna and Chhatarpur districts of Madhya Pradesh, was among the few to be selected.