We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 22 October 2021, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2021 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs October 2021 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2021 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
PM Narendra Modi Visited Uttar Pradesh; inaugurated Kushinagar International Airport
ii.The Ministry of Tourism organized a two days’ conference titled ‘Tourism in Buddhist Circuit- A way forward’ on October 20-21, 2021 at Kushinagar for the inauguration of Kushinagar International Airport by PM Narendra Modi.
iii.Built at an estimated cost of Rs. 260 crore, Kushinagar international airport will connect the eastern UP with important centres on the Buddhist circuit in India and South-East Asia.
iv.During a public function at Barwa Jangal, Kushinagar, the PM inaugurated & laid the foundation stone of 12 development projects worth over Rs 180 crore.
About Sri Lanka:
Capital– Colombo (judicial capital), Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte (legislative capital)
Currency– Sri Lankan Rupee
>>Read Full News
PMGKP Insurance Scheme for Health Workers Extended For Another 180 Days
The Central government extended the duration of “Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package (PMGKP)”, an insurance scheme for health care workers fighting COVID-19, for a further period of 180 days
- As the current term of the policy is ending on 20.10.2021, it has been further extended for 180 days from 21.10.2021.
- Until now, 1351 claims have been paid under the scheme. This scheme meant relief plans to help in the survival of the deadly situation of the country.
- The relief package includes food and components, which are divided into eight sections of the society inclusive of pensioners, women, and the disabled, poor families.
- The central government has claimed to distribute rice and wheat-based on each individual, in addition to the already existing rice distribution.
About Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package (PMGKP)
Launched on: March, 2020
Launched by : The Indian Union Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman.
UNEP Production Gap Report 2021: World Govt’s Fossil Fuel Production Plans Exceeds Paris Limits
- As per the report, the world’s government plans to produce more than twice (around 110 percent) the amount of fossil fuels in 2030, than would be consistent with limiting warming to 1.5°C, and 45 percent more than consistent with 2°C.
- Governments’ production plans and projections would lead to the production of around 240 percent more coal, 57 percent more oil, and 71 percent more gas in 2030.
Key Findings of the Report:
i.As per the projection of the current report, which is the 3rd Production Gap Report of UNEP, the production gap has remained largely unchanged since UNEP’s first analysis (in 2019).
ii.India plans to expand coal production by nearly 60 percent i.e. from 730 million tonnes in 2019 to 1,149 million tonnes in 2024.
iii.Coal production: The production gap is the widest for coal in 2030. The global countries are planning to produce 5.3 billion tonnes more coal in 2030 than is consistent with the 1.5°C. This production is equal to 75 percent of current levels of global coal production.
About Paris Agreement:
i.To tackle climate change and its negative impacts, world leaders at the UN Climate Change Conference (COP21) in Paris made the Paris Agreement to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions to limit the global temperature increase in this century to 2°C while pursuing efforts to limit the increase even further to 1.5°C.
ii.The Agreement is a legally binding international treaty. It entered into force on 4 November 2016. Around 192 Parties (191 countries plus the European Union) have joined the Paris Agreement.
>>Read Full News
BANKING & FINANCE
NPCI launched NTS platform for Tokenization of RuPay Cards
- This system is an alternative to storing card details with merchants by prioritizing consumer’s safety and to provide them a seamless shopping experience i.e. faster checkout.
- Merchants are required to meet the tokenization by January 1, 2022.
Reason behind this launch:
As Reserve Bank of India (RBI) mandated to store customer’s card information in the form of an encrypted form i.e. ‘token’ to secure transactions. These tokens then allow payments to be processed without disclosing any customer details.
- On the lines of this NTS was launched.
i.With NTS, acquiring banks, aggregators, merchants and others can get themselves certified with NPCI and can play the role of Token Requestor to save the token reference number (TROF) against all card numbers saved.
ii.Earlier, digital payments provider, Visa has launched its Card-on-File (CoF) tokenization services in India in partnership with Juspay, India’s first CoF tokenization service.
About National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI):
It is an umbrella organization for operating retail payments and settlement systems in India.
MD & CEO– Dilip Asbe
Headquarter– Mumbai, Maharashtra
NABARD Sanctioned Rs 608 Crore to GoI for Assam’s Infrastructure Projects
- The infrastructure projects include 52 rural roads, 21 rural bridges, 19 flood protection projects and 32 soil conservation projects across Assam under Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF) – XXVII.
- 17 lakhs rural population in 900 villages were estimated to get benefitted through the projects.
- Recently, NABARD has entered into an MOU with the government of Assam, and the Assam Infrastructure Financing Authority (AIFA) for facilitation of Rs 13,200 crore infrastructure projects in the state over a period of 3 years.
Chief Minister – Himanta Biswa Sarma
Wildlife Sanctuary – Deepor Beel Wildlife Sanctuary, Marat Longri Wildlife Sanctuary
Dance – Deodhani, Bordoishikla, Domahi Kikang
>>Read Full News
REC Limited raised US$75million SOFR linked Term Loan; 1st Indian NBFC to do so
- Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC), Singapore Branch appointed as the sole Mandated Lead Arranger and Bookrunner.
i.REC also entered into interest rate swap referencing SOFR to hedge the interest rate risk on this facility. This is also the first such deal by any Corporate in India.
ii.The loan amount will be utilized to fund infrastructure power sector projects as permitted under the ECB guidelines of the Reserve Bank of India.
iii.SOFR is a secured interbank overnight interest rate as is a replacement for USD LIBOR (London Inter-bank Offered Rate) that may be phased out end-2021.
About REC Limited (formerly Rural Electrification Corporation Limited):
It is a Navratna NBFC focusing on Power Sector Financing and Development across India.
Chairman and Managing Director (CMD)– Sanjay Malhotra
Headquarter– Gurugram, Haryana
Flipkart Wholesale & Rupifi Tie-up to Offer Embedded BNPL to MSMEs
i.The partnership will ensure the availability of instant and digital credit with flexible repayment terms and transparent pricing to around 1.5 lakh Kiranas and MSMEs members on Flipkart Wholesale.
ii.Rupifi will ease the process of digitization to boost the B2B (Business to Business) retail ecosystem.
iii.Rupifi is empowering MSMEs with a purchase credit line with flexible repayment options usage-based interest and zero fees.
iv.BNPL products are offered to their MSME customers for as low as Rs 5,000 in both In-App as well as In-Store manners.
Headquarters– Bangalore, Karnataka
Co-Founder and CEO– Anubhav Jain
Headquarters– Bengaluru, Karnataka
Chief Executive Officer– Kalyan Krishnamurthy
HDFC Bank, Mastercard, DFC, USAID Launched $100 Million Credit Facility for Indian MSMEs
- Objective: To promote and support small businesses in India for digitisation needs and to recover from the economic impacts of the COVID-19.
i.The credit facility is part of USAID’s global Women Economic Empowerment Fund initiative and its COVID-19 response in India.
ii.HDFC Bank will ensure the credit facility to be available for new-to-credit small businesses owners including at least 50 percent of women entrepreneurs through its branch network across India.
iii.Mastercard will collaborate with the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and the Confederation of All Indian Traders (CAIT) to provide skills training and education to small business owners on their digitisation options.
- As a part of Mastercard’s Rs 250 crores (~$33 million) commitment to enable small businesses in India to recover from COVID-19, the Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth will support businesses through different philanthropic training programs.
iv.DFC and USAID extended the credit facility by de-risking HDFC Bank’s lending to small business owners.
About HDFC Bank:
Establishment – 1994
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
MD & CEO – Sashidhar Jagdishan
Tagline – We understand your world
Bharti AXA Life Insurance Entered into Bancassurance Partnership with Utkarsh Small Finance Bank
Bharti AXA Life Insurance Company Limited (Bharti AXA Life), a joint venture of Bharti Enterprises and AXA, one of the world largest insurance companies, has entered into a bancassurance partnership with Utkarsh Small Finance Bank to ensure distribution of life insurance products through the bank’s network across India.
- This partnership will enable the Bharti AXA life to reach Tier II and Tier III markets with insurance solutions and increase the reach of insurance in India.
Features of the partnership:
i.Under this partnership, the Bharti AXA Life’s insurance comprehensive suite of life insurance plans including the protection, health, savings and investment plans will be made available for the customers of the bank across 202 districts of 19 states and 2 Union territories.
ii.This will benefit the customers of the bank with a range of new-age products of Bharti AXA Life, which will ensure a financially secure future for their loved ones and assist them to meet the key financial goals such as college education, wealth building, retirement planning and others.
About Bharti AXA Life Insurance Company Limited:
MD & CEO– Parag Raja
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
Formed in 2006
About Utkarsh Small Finance Bank:
Utkarsh Small finance bank was started as the Micro Finance Institution (MFI).
In 2017, it commenced its banking operations as Small Finance Bank.
MD & CEO– Govind Singh
Headquarters– Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
India opens inflight data market to UK satellite firm Inmarsat
i.Inmarsat will access the market via Indian state-owned telecommunications company Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd(BSNL) which received approval from India’s Department of Telecommunications.
ii.Inmarsat has deals with Indian airline SpiceJet Ltd and the Shipping Corp of India Ltd, Chief Executive Officer Rajeev Suri.
iii.They already offer reliable but low-data “L-band” services in India whereas the new license offers much faster 4G-like “Ka-band” broadband on its GX(Global Xpress) network.
iv.Inmarsat’s connectivity comes from satellites in geostationary orbit, but it will likely end up competing with new deep-pocketed low-earth orbit satellites.
About Inmarsat :
It provides telephone and data services to users worldwide through portable or mobile terminals which communicate with ground stations through fourteen geostationary satellites.
CEO – Rajeev Suri
Headquarters : London, United Kingdom
Founded : 16 July 1979
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Russian Opposition Leader Alexei Navalny Won ‘Sakharov Prize’, the Top EU Human Rights Prize
- Navalny was imprisoned in Russia in 2020 for campaigning against the corruption of Vladimir Putin regime through social media and political campaigns.
About Sakharov Prize:
i.The Sakharov Prize recognises the individuals, groups, and organisations that have made an outstanding contribution towards protecting freedom of thought.
ii.The prize was awarded for the 1st time in 1988 to Nelson Mandela and Anatoli Marchenko.
iii.The prize includes an endowment of EUR 50,000.
President: Vladimir Putin
Currency: Russian ruble
UNCTAD: IPAs of Costa Rica, Korea, Netherlands Won UN Investment Promotion Awards for Promoting Healthcare
- The award was announced at UNCTAD’s 7th World Investment Forum (WIF) through video conferencing.
- The IPAs such as, Costa Rican Investment Promotion Agency (CINDE), Invest in Holland, and Invest Korea were awarded the UN Investment Promotion Awards.
- Special Award for the blue economy was given to the Mauritius Economic Development Board and the Seychelles Investment Bureau for their work towards promoting investment in the blue economy.
United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD):
Secretary General: Rebeca Grynspan
Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
>>Read Full News
Parambikulam Tiger Conservation Foundation won Earth Guardian Award: 11th Edition Of NatWest Group Earth Heroes Awards 2021
The Parambikulam Tiger Conservation Foundation (PaTCoF), a non-profit organisation in Palakkad, Kerala, under the Kerala Forest Department, has won the NatWest Group’s Earth Guardian Award 2021 for its efforts towards the conservation of tigers and biodiversity of the Parambikulam tiger reserve.
NatWest Group India, the global capability centre of the NatWest Group announced the 8 winners of the 11th edition of the NatWest Group Earth Heroes Awards(2021).
- Ivonne Higuero, Secretary-General of United Nations(UN) Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora(CITES) felicitated the winners over a virtual ceremony.
- The 2021 awards have been presented under different categories such as Green Warrior, Earth Guardian, Save the Species, Inspire and Lifetime Achievement.
The theme of the 2021 awards is “Biodiversity – A resilient nature is a foundation on which all climate mitigation and adaptation efforts must be raised”.
About NatWest Group Earth Heroes Awards:
i.NatWest Group Earth Heroes Awards was previously known as the RBS Earth Heroes Awards.
ii.The awards were instituted in 2011 to recognise the individuals and institutions that work towards protecting the endangered forest, wetlands, and other natural ecosystems.
Winners of 2021 NatWest Group Earth Heroes Awards:
|Green Warrior||Nitish Kumar||Odisha|
|Earth Guardian||Satpura Tiger Reserve||Madhya Pradesh|
|Parambikulam Tiger Conservation Foundation||Kerala|
|Save the Species||Arunima Singh||Uttar Pradesh|
|Lifetime Achievement||Brij Mohan Singh Rathore||Madhya Pradesh|
- Anil Bishnoi won the award under the “Save the Species” category for his work towards the conservation of blackbucks.
- Arunima Singh, a field conservation research technician for the TSA / Centre for Wildlife Studies (CWS India) – India Turtle Conservation Project, has won the award under the “Save the species” category for Turtle conservation.
About NatWest Group India:
NatWest Group India, formerly RBS Services India Pvt Ltd(RBS India).
Headquarters– Gurugram, Haryana
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
MoD Rajnath Singh launched WBPMP, 1st Project Management Governance by Military Engineer Services
- It has been developed by Gandhinagar (Gujarat) based Bhaskaracharya National Institute for Space Applications and Geo-informatics (BISAG-G).
- This development is on the lines of Digital India Mission.
i.WBPMP will enable real time monitoring of projects from its inception to completion.
ii.It will enable all stakeholders including from Armed Forces to access the project information.
iii.This is one among many initiatives of MES for the scientific management of this organisation.
- MES is also in process of implementing nine other e-Governance applications including Product Approval Portal, AWMP Scrutiny & Status Application, E-Measurement Book, Budget Management Portal, Work Estimation Application, Billing and Construction Account Management, Cashbook Management and Accounting System, Contractor and Consultant Enlistment Portal & E-Deviation.
Georissa mawsmaiensis: New Species of Micro Snail Discovered from Meghalaya
- The new species was discovered by Nipu Kumar Das and NA Aravind of the ATREE.
- The discovery is reported in the Journal of Conchology.
i.In 1851, WH Benson collected & described the new species, Georissa saritta, a member of the Georissa genus from the Musmai valley (at present Mawsmai) near Cherrapunjee (Sohra).
ii.Five species of cave-dwelling snails have been reported from the caves of Meghalaya.
- The Mawsmai cave in Mawsmai village in the East Khasi Hills district of Meghalaya is located at an altitude of 1,195 metres above sea level.
- Mawsmai in the Khasi language means “oath stone”.
i.The species of the Georissa genus are widely distributed across Africa, Asia, and the Pacific
These species are endemic microhabitats consisting of limestone caves or karst landscapes formed by the dissolution of limestone.
ii.Compared to the Georissa sarrita, Georissa mawsmaiensis has a different shell morphology, from shell size to the presence of 4 prominent spiral striations on body whorls of the shell.
Australian Fast Bowler James Pattinson Retires From International Cricket
About James Pattinson:
i.James Pattinson made his test debut in December 2011 against New Zealand.
ii.He has represented Australia in 15 one day Internationals(ODI) and 4 Twenty20 (T20) International matches. He played his last ODI in 2015 and had a stop-start career due to injuries.
iii.He played a major role in Australia’s 2019 ashes campaign in England.
International Chefs Day 2021 – October 20
The theme of International Chefs Day 2021 is “Healthy Food for the Future”.
i.In 2004 late Dr Billy Gallagher, former president of WorldChefs, who was popularly known as “South Africa’s father of fine food” created International Chefs Day to celebrate the profession and to inspire culinary professionals to use their knowledge and skills for good.
ii.In 2014, the Nestlé Professional joined the Worldchefs to support the adaptation of the International Chefs Day campaign toolkit.
2021 International Chefs Day:
i.The 2021 International Chefs Day focuses on sustainability and the environment to ensure a healthy planet for the next generations.
ii.As a part of the 2021 International Chefs Day, chefs across the globe will host their own workshop on the theme “Healthy Food for the Future”.
About World Association of Chefs Societies(Worldchefs):
Worldchefs is a global network of more than 100 chefs associations that represents culinary professionals at all levels and specialities.
Worldchefs was founded as the World Association of Cooks’ Societies at Sorbonne University in Paris.
President– Thomas Gugler
Founded in October 1928.
Headquarters– Paris, France.
Police Commemoration Day 2021 – October 21
The day is also known as Police Martyrs Day.
i.In January 1960, the Annual Conference of Inspectors General of Police of States and Union Territories decided to observe the 21st October of every year as the Police Commemoration Day or Police Martyrs Day.
ii.The day was chosen to remember the sacrifice of the 10 police personnel who lost their lives on 21st October 1959 in Ladakh while fighting against the Chinese army. During the conference, it was also decided to erect a memorial at Hot Springs.
>>Read Full News
Global Iodine Deficiency Disorders Prevention Day 2021 – October 21
i.Iodine is one of the essential micronutrients that is needed for the production of Thyroid hormone.
ii.The inclusion of iodine as a part of the diet is important since the body cannot make iodine on its own.
iii.Under the Prevention of Food Adulteration Act 1954, The government of India has banned the sale of non-iodized salt for direct human consumption in India, with effect from May 2006.
>>Read Full News
Chhattisgarh CM Launches Shri Dhanwantri Generic Medical Store Scheme
- Under the scheme, around 188 medical shops are planned to be opened in 169 cities. Currently, 84 generic medical shops are opened in the inaugural session to distribute medicine.
- The scheme will be implemented by the Urban Administration and Development Department (UADD).
i.Under this scheme, people will get a discount between 50.09 percent and 71 percent on the MRP (Market Rate Price) of generic medicines.
ii.The scheme mandates the medical stores to sell 251 types of generic medicines and 27 surgical products along with Sanjeevani products of the Forest Department.
iv.Other Initiatives: To achieve universal health coverage, the state has started Mukhyamantri Haat Bazar Clinic Yojna and Mukhyamantri Shahari Slum Health Scheme in urban areas to provide better health services in remote areas. The Dai-Didi Clinic scheme has also been started for women and adolescent girls.
Festival – Madai Festival,Narayanpur Mela,Bhoramdeo Festival
Stadium – Shaheed Veer Narayan Singh International Cricket Stadium
Governor – Anusuiya Uikey
LG Manoj Sinha declared the CCTNS project of “Go Live” and launched eCop Mobile App.
Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha declared the most awaited Crime and Criminal Tracking Network & Systems (CCTNS) project of J&K Police “Go-Live” and launched the “JK eCOP” Mobile Application at Raj Bhavan in Srinagar.
i.One Click access for locating the nearest Police Station, panic button to send distress message, and provides all the important helpline numbers to the public.
ii.Public can register complaints, share information with the police, report Accident & Traffic violations and also various citizen services.
iii. The public can also access information regarding the status of National Highway on a real time basis, e-Crime Awareness, Safety Tips for Tourists, Foreigners Registration, Yatra Guidelines, Senior Citizens Safety etc,.
i.CCTNS will make the Police function citizen-friendly and transparent by providing multiple channels to access from the police.
ii.JK eCOP” Mobile App provides all police-related public services which creates confidence in police and also creates direct access for the public.
iii.The app has been developed keeping in mind the needs of the public including the smooth functioning of the police department.
About Crime and Criminal Tracking Network & Systems (CCTNS)
CCTNS is a mission mode project under National e-Governance Plan of Government of India.It aims Provide the Investigating Officers of the Civil Police with tools, technology and information to facilitate investigation of crime and detection of criminals.
Launched : 2009, Aftermath of the 26/11 attack.
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|S.no||Current Affairs 22 October 2021|
|1||PM Narendra Modi Visited Uttar Pradesh; inaugurated Kushinagar International Airport|
|2||Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package (PMGKP) – Insurance scheme for health workers has been extended for a period of 180 days.|
|3||UNEP Production Gap Report 2021: World Govt’s Fossil Fuel Production Plans Exceeds Paris Limits|
|4||NPCI launched NTS platform for Tokenization of RuPay Cards|
|5||NABARD Sanctioned Rs 608 Crore to GoI for Assam’s Infrastructure Projects|
|6||REC Limited raised US$75million SOFR linked Term Loan; 1st Indian NBFC to do so|
|7||Flipkart Wholesale & Rupifi Tie-up to Offer Embedded BNPL to MSMEs|
|8||HDFC Bank, Mastercard, DFC, USAID Launched $100 Million Credit Facility for Indian MSMEs|
|9||Bharti AXA Life Insurance Entered into Bancassurance Partnership with Utkarsh Small Finance Bank|
|10||India opens inflight data market to UK satellite firm Inmarsat|
|11||Russian Opposition Leader Alexei Navalny Won ‘Sakharov Prize’, the Top EU Human Rights Prize|
|12||UNCTAD: IPAs of Costa Rica, Korea, the Netherlands UN Investment Promotion Awards for Promoting Healthcare|
|13||Parambikulam Tiger Conservation Foundation won Earth Guardian Award: 11th Edition Of NatWest Group Earth Heroes Awards 2021|
|14||MoD Rajnath Singh launched WBPMP, 1st Project Management Governance by Military Engineer Services|
|15||Georissa mawsmaiensis: New Species of Micro Snail Discovered from Meghalaya|
|16||Australian Fast Bowler James Pattinson Retires From International Cricket|
|17||International Chefs Day 2021 – October 20|
|18||Police Commemoration Day 2021 – October 21|
|19||Global Iodine Deficiency Disorders Prevention Day 2021 – October 21|
|20||Chhattisgarh CM Launches Shri Dhanwantri Generic Medical Store Scheme|
|21||LG Manoj Sinha declared the CCTNS project of “Go Live” and launched eCop Mobile App.|