We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 18 June 2021, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2021 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs June 2021 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2021 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
MoC Signed MoU with MoPSW for Cooperation in Development of NMHC at Lothal, Gujarat
Prahlad Singh Patel, Union Minister of State (IC) for Culture and Mansukh Mandaviya, Union Minister of State (IC) for Ports, Shipping and Waterways were present during the signing ceremony held in Transport Bhawan, New Delhi.
National Maritime Heritage Complex:
i.National Maritime Heritage Complex is India’s first of its kind facility dedicated to the legacy of Maritime Heritage of India. It will be developed at the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) site of Lothal, Gujarat.
About Ministry of Culture:
Minister of State– Prahlad Singh Patel (Constituency: Damoh, Madhya Pradesh)
About Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways (MoPSW):
Minister of State– Mansukh Mandaviya (Constituency: Gujarat)
>>Read Full News
Union Cabinet approves restructuring of OFB into 7 new Corporate entities
- The move to replace OFB with 7 corporate entities will enable the companies to have more autonomy and also improve their accountability and efficiency.
- The 7 entities will produce ammunition and explosives, vehicles, weapons and equipment, troop comfort items, opto-electronics gear, parachutes and ancillary products.
- OFB is being restructured as part of India’s vision to achieve self-reliance in the defence sector.
- In September 2020, an Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM) under the chairmanship of Defence Minister Rajnath Singh was set up to decide on matters related to restructuring of OFB.
Ordnance Factory Board
- In 1775, British authorities accepted the establishment of the Board of Ordnance in Fort William, Kolkata.
- OFB functions as a department under the Department of Defence Production, Ministry of Defence.
About Ordnance Factory Board (OFB)
Director General – C S Vishwakarma
Headquarters – Kolkata, West Bengal
>>Read Full News
Cabinet Approvals on June 16, 2021
- Proposal of the MoES for Deep Ocean Mission.
- Proposal of the Department of Fertilizers for Nutrient Based Subsidy (NBS) rates for Phosphatic & Potassic (P&K) Fertilisers for the year 2021-22.
Deep Ocean Mission
The ‘Deep Ocean Mission’ of MoES will be a mission mode project to support the Blue Economy Initiatives of Government of India.
i.Objective – To explore the deep ocean for resources and develop deep sea technologies for sustainable use of ocean resources in the Indian Ocean.
ii.Cost of the Mission – Estimated cost of the Mission -INR 4077 crore for a period of 5 years, it will be implemented in a phase-wise manner.
- The estimated cost for 1st phase for the 3 years (2021-24) would be INR 2823.4 crore.
iii.Nodal Ministry – Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES).
iv.The mission will consist of 6 components.
Fixation of Nutrient Based Subsidy Rate for P&K for 2021-22
The CCEA chaired by PM Modi has approved the proposal of the Department of Fertilizers for fixation of Nutrient Based Subsidy Rates (NBS) for P&K Fertilizers for the year 2021-22.The estimated additional subsidy would be around Rs 14,775 crore.
Per Kg Subsidy rate in INR
|N (Nitrogen)||P (Phosphorus)||K (Potash)||S (Sulphur)|
TRAI amended Interconnection Regulations, 2017 by adding new framework for Broadcasting & Cable Services
- This new addition provides a framework for technical compliance of conditional access system (CAS) and subscriber management system (SMS) for the broadcasting and cable sector.
Reasons behind amendment:
i.To make the indigenous specifications of technical framework for the broadcasting and cable sector at par with international standards.
ii.To provide better content security in the distribution value chain as sub-standard CAS and SMS make distribution networks vulnerable to hacking and content piracy.
i.The operationalization and administration of the new framework will be carried out through testing and certification agency, as prescribed by TRAI.
ii.The Interconnection Regulations, 2017 is a part of the framework of Digital Addressable System (DAS) released in March 2017.
How will it be beneficial?
A synchronized working of the CAS and SMS with respect to framework will enable factual reporting of subscriber base etc. This will reduce the revenue loss to stakeholders on account of erroneous subscription reporting. Also, content security will engage the global content developer community which will result in increased availability of better quality, high-definition content to Indian television viewers.
India’s H-Energy signs MoU with Petrobangla to supply LNG to Bangladesh
- H-Energy will supply LNG to Bangladesh via the 250 km ‘Kanai Chatta (West Bengal) – Shrirampur (Bangladesh) Natural Gas Pipeline’, which is expected to be commissioned in 2023.
- H-Energy was authorized by the Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB), the regulatory body in India to build, own and operate the Kanai Chhata-Shrirampur natural gas pipeline. It became the only company to receive authorisation from PNGRB to lay a pipeline to the Bangladesh border.
MD & CEO – Darshan Hiranandani
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Chairman – A B M Abdul Fattah
Headquarters – Dhaka
>>Read Full News
Government to setup Committee on Energy Efficiency, Low Carbon Technology: R K Singh
- The committee/Group on Energy Efficiency, Low Carbon Technology will consist of members from all relevant ministries.
The high level meeting was held virtually to discuss activities in the field of energy efficiency across all sectors of the economy with the objective of reducing CO2 emissions.
i.Sectors like Transport, MSME (Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises) & Power plants needed more focus as they have high emissions intensity compared to other sectors.
ii.Power Finance Corporation, a CPSU under the Ministry of Power will be the nodal agency for facilitating Energy Efficiency Financing.
BEE’s Programs – ROSHANEE & UNNATEE
BEE has developed two programs namely ROSHANEE (Roadmap Of Sustainable and Holistic Approach to National Energy Efficiency) and UNNATEE (Unlocking National Energy Efficiency Potential), which lay down Sector wise action plan to address Climate change and CO2 emissions for the period 2021-2030
About Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE)
The Government of India set up BEE on 1st March 2002 under the provisions of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001 as a Statutory body under the Ministry of Power.
Director General – Abhay Bakre
Headquarters – New Delhi
>>Read Full News
India set to add 17 GW renewable capacity in 2021 and 19.3 GW in 2022: IEA
- It also states that India’s Renewable Energy capacity additions declined by 50% in 2020 compared to 2019.However, the growth is expected to pick up and renewable expansion is expected to set new records by 2022.
- Globally, in 2020 the annual renewable capacity additions increased 45% to almost 280 GW – the highest year-on year increase since 1999.
India achieved its goal of installing 175 GW renewable capacity by 2022: MNRE
The Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE) has stated that including Projects under construction and in bidding stages, India has achieved its goal of installing 175 GW renewable capacity by 2022.
About International Energy Agency (IEA)
Executive Director – Dr Fatih Birol
Headquarters – Paris, France
>>Read Full News
31st NATO Summit 2021 held in Brussels, Belgium
On June 14, 2021, 31st North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) summit happened at Brussels in Belgium, the leaders of NATO’s 30 member countries were participated in the summit.
- NATO is a defensive Alliance and will continue to strive for peace, security, and stability in the whole of the Euro-Atlantic area.
- NATO is an alliance of European and North American countries formed after World War II as a bulwark against Russian aggression.
- NATO 2030 agenda sets a higher level of ambition for NATO. It provides clear guidelines for further adaptation to address existing, new and future threats and challenges, building on the ongoing political and military adaptation of the Alliance.
India ranked 43 in World Competitiveness Index 2021; Switzerland tops
- India’s ranking in the 4 parameters are – Government Efficiency 46 (from 50 in 2020), the ranking in other 3 parameters remained unchanged compared to 2020 – Economic performance – 37, business efficiency – 32, infrastructure – 49.
- Botswana (61st) was added to the ranking this year 2021.
World Competitiveness Index
- It is an annual report which measures the prosperity and competitiveness of 64 nations by examining 4 parameters – economic performance, government efficiency, business efficiency, and infrastructure.
- The 2021 Index examined the impact of COVID-19 on economies around the world in 2021.
High-level Advisory Group for Economic Recovery and Growth by World Bank & IMF
In the face of two crises COVID-19 and climate change, The World Bank (WB)and International Monetary Fund (IMF) have launched a “High-Level Advisory Group (HLAG) on Sustainable and Inclusive Recovery and Growth”.
The HLAG will be jointly led by
- Mari Pangestu, Managing Director for Development Policy and Partnerships, World Bank
- Ceyla Pazarbasioglu, Director, Strategy, Policy and Review Department, IMF
- Lord Nicholas Stern of the London School of Economics.
i.HLAG will propose ideas and frameworks for strategic and practical national and global action
ii.It will set a path for green, resilient, and inclusive development and help to secure a strong recovery.
iii.the HLAG will work on two phases
- First, focus on the immediate challenge of a sustainable and inclusive recovery to inform the processes and meetings in 2021 leading up to the G20 Summit in Rome (October) and the COP26 in Glasgow (November).
- Second, deepen the analyses and formulation of actions for sustained transformation in 2022.
iii.It will help to understand key policy and institutional issues that will inform a response to multiple interconnected challenges – the two crises, which are exacerbating poverty and inequality, as well as structural weaknesses that existed before the pandemic.
About World Bank:
Establishment – 1944 as The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Members – 189
President – David Malpass
Headquarters – Washington D.C., USA
About International Monetary Fund (IMF):
Members – 190
Managing Director – Kristalina Georgieva
Headquarters – Washington D.C., USA
Establishment – 1944
18 million kids at risk of Health hazards caused by e-Waste – WHO
i.Over 18 million Children and 12.9 million women work at the e-waste dumpsite every year, mostly from low & middle income countries, for dismantling & recycling e-wastes.
ii.Illegal e-waste processing is mainly carried out in middle & low income countries, by violating safeguard regulations
iii.According to the Global E-waste Statistics Partnership (GESP), E-waste grew by 21% in the five years up to 2019, when 53.6 million metric tonnes of e-waste were generated, out of which 17.4% of e-waste are processed in formal e-waste processing units & the rest are met with informal waste recycling system.
iv.India is a major importer and producer of e-waste. Of the total amount of e-waste produced in India, around 95% is recycled in the informal sector. New Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai and Chennai are our major e-waste recycling hot spots.
Reason for e-waste processing – Over 1,000 precious metals like gold, copper, mercury is present in minute quantity in electronic components.
Major Health Hazards – Lung failure, Cardiovascular diseases and increased risk of Cancer
About World Health Organisation:
Established – 7th April 1948
Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland
Director General –Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
Chief Scientist – Soumya Swaminathan
BANKING & FINANCE
GoI inked $484mn loan pact with ADB for CKIC project in TN
i.In this regard, Seven-year contracts are provided for long-term maintenance of road projects.
About Asian Development Bank
Headquartered– Manila, Philippines
President– Masatsugu Asakawa
>>Read Full News
India Extends 100 million USD LoC to support Sri Lanka’s Solar Power Coverage
- The agreement was exchanged between Gopal Baglay High Commissioner of India and S.R. Attygalle, Secretary to the Treasury, Government of Sri Lanka and in the presence of Gotabaya Rajapaksa, President of Sri Lanka.
- India became the first country to partner with Sri Lanka to ensure that 70% of Sri Lanka’s national power requirements are fulfilled by renewable energy sources by 2030.
About Sri Lanka:
President– Gotabaya Rajapaksa
Judicial capital– Colombo
Legislative capital– Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
Currency– Sri Lankan Rupee
>>Read Full News
IndusInd Bank Launched IndusEasyCredit, a Digital Lending Platform
i.IndusEasyCredit is a first of its kind platform which will offer a digital end to end process by utilising Indiastack, the public digital infrastructure of India, to offer personal loans and credit cards in a paperless, presence-less and cashless manner.
ii.This will enable both the existing and non-IndusInd Bank customers to avail of personal loans or credit cards on a single platform in a completely paperless and digital manner.
iii.The stack uses around 35 interfaces to digitally verify the Know Your Customer (KYC), employment information and analyse the bank statements.
- IndiaStack is a set of APIs that allows governments, businesses, startups and developers to utilise a unique digital Infrastructure to solve India’s hard problems towards presence-less, paperless, and cashless service delivery.
- Aadhaar Authentication, Aadhaar e-KYC, eSign, Digital Locker, Unified Payment Interface (UPI) are the core API’s of IndiaStack.
About IndusInd Bank:
Managing Director & CEO– Sumant Kathpalia
Headquarters– Pune, Maharashtra
Established in 1994
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
CII Projects India’s GDP Growth for FY22 to 9.5%
The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) has projected that India’s Gross Domestic Product(GDP) is set to increase at 9.5% in the current Financial year 2021-2022(FY22) which will be higher than the GDP of FY20.
- The growth in the 2nd half will be supported by the external demand and large scale coverage of vaccination which allows the resumption of economic activities.
- CII estimates that the Indian economy requires a Rs 3 lakh crores fiscal stimulus including the cash transfer to households through Jan Dhan accounts.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Sumant Sinha recognised as a SDG Pioneer of the Year by UNGC
- SDG Pioneers – Global Business leaders who are recognised by UNGC for their exceptional work towards acheiving SDG targets
i.Sumant Sinha was recognised as a SDG Pioneer of the Year for his work towards SDG Target 7: Providing advanced access to affordable energy.
Note – In April 2021, ReNew Power announced investments of $9 Billion in Wind and Solar energy projects in India upto 2025
ii.ReNew Power is a renewable energy company in India, working towards achieving SDG-7 by 2030 and beyond. It is also a member of UNGC since 2016
About United Nations Global Compact (UNGC):
Established – July 2000
CEO & Executive Director – Sanda Ojiambo
About ReNew Power:
Founded – 2011
Chairman – Sumant Sinha
Headquarters – Gurugram, Haryana
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Microsoft appointed CEO Satya Nadella as Chairman
- Notably, Satya Nadella backed billion dollar acquisitions like LinkedIn, Nuance Communications and ZeniMax.
- Satya Nadella was appointed the CEO of Microsoft in 2014, succeeding Steve Ballmer.
Yuvraj Singh Becomes Brand Ambassador of PUMA Motorsport in India
- Besides Yuvraj Singh ,PUMA’s other global brand ambassadors are Thierry Henry, Boris Becker and Usain Bolt.
- Globally, PUMA is associated with Scuderia Ferrari, Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team, Aston Martin Red Bull Racing, BMW M Motorsport and Porsche Motorsport.
About Yuvraj Singh:
i.Yuvraj Singh was awarded the Padma Shri Award in 2014 for his contribution to the Indian Cricket.
ii.He was awarded with the Arjuna Award (India’s second highest, Sporting Award) in 2012 by the President of India.
iii.Also he was honoured with FICCI Most Inspiring Sportsperson of the Year Award in 2014.
iv.He was also the Man of the Tournament in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011.
Mukund Gosavi Becomes Brand Ambassador of Corona Vaccination Program in Maharashtra
The Maharashtra government has appointed Mukund Gosavi as a brand ambassador of the Corona vaccination program for speedy implementation of Corona vaccination in the Jalgaon district, Maharashtra due to his selfless service
- Mukund Gosavi is a person with 80 percent who assisted disabled people and senior citizens in remote areas by providing medical care facilities,arranging essential items to at least 1000 people and reducing fear among COVID positive patients by counselling them.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
ADI PRASHIKSHAN portal launched by Ministry of Tribal Affairs in collaboration with UNDP
Objective – To provide quality skill development and capacity building programs to Tribal population across India, and improve their socioeconomic status
The portal includes all training programs conducted by National Society for Education of Tribal Students (NESTS), Centre of Excellences (CoE’s) funded by Ministry of Tribal Affairs, TRIs across India and National Tribal Research Institute.
Arjun Munda inaugurates 3-day long “Capacity Building Training of Master Trainers For ST PRI Members”
i.Tribal Minister also launched a 3-day long training program on “Capacity Building Training of Master Trainers For ST PRI Members” from 16th -19th June 2021
ii.The program is conducted specially for the members of Scheduled Tribes (ST) Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRI).
iii.The program was jointly organised by National Tribal Research Institute and Madhya Pradesh government
About Ministry of Tribal Affairs:
Eklavya Model Residential Schools are built across India in rural areas to provide quality education to the Tribal population
Union Minister – Arjun Munda (Constituency – Khunti, Jharkhand)
Minister of State – Renuka Singh Saruta (Constituency – Surguja, Chhattisgarh)
Mahavir Chakra Awardee Veteran Brigadier Raghubir Singh Passed Away
About Brigadier Raghubir Singh:
i.Brigadier Raghubir Singh was honoured with Maha Vir Chakra, the second highest gallantry award in India by the then President of India, Dr S Radhakrishnan.
ii.He is fondly called as “Dadosa”
iii.He served as the Provost Marshal in the Military police, during the 1971 Indo-Pak war.
iv.During the 1965 Indo Pak war,he was commanding his battalion, 18 Rajputana Rifles (later 11 Mechanised Infantry).
v.He was also part of the United Nations Emergency Force, during the 1958-59 Israel – Egypt war.
vi.He was posted as Chairman of the Neutral Nations Representative Commission (NNRC) as part of the peace keeping force,during the war of North and South Korea in 1954.
vii.He fought in the Indo Pak war of 1947-48 in the Uri sector immediately after independence and was also involved in the Burma war in 1944 and went to Japan to fight.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik Released Bishnupada Sethi’s book “Beyond Here and Other Poems”
About the book:
i.The poems featured in the book reflect the experiences of life, perception of death, and philosophical contemplation.
ii.The preface of the book was written by noted Odia poet Haraprasad Das.
iii.The cover design of the book was made by famous artist Gajendra Sahu.
About Bishnupada Sethi:
Bishnupada Sethi a 1995 batch IAS officer is serving as the Principal Secretary of Revenue & Disaster Management Department, Government of Odisha with an additional charge of Principal Secretary of Odia Language, Literature & Culture Department and Information & Public Relations (I&PR) Department.
Amitav Ghosh’s Authored a book titled “The Nutmeg’s Curse: Parables for a Planet in Crisis”
About the Book:
i.This book is about the history of the influence of colonialism on the world today, told through the story of the nutmeg.
ii.It discusses everything from the global history of the oil trade to the migrant crisis and the animist spirituality of indigenous communities around the world.
About the Author:
i.Amitav Ghosh is an Indian writer best known for his work in English fiction.
ii.He won the 54th Jnanpith award, India’s highest literary honor in 2018.
iii.He was also awarded the Padma Shri in2007.
iv.Some of his other notable works include the Ibis trilogy and ‘The Great Derangement’ among others.
World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought 2021 – June 17
The theme of World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought 2021 is “Restoration.Land.Recovery: We build back better with healthy land”.
i.The United Nations General Assembly(UNGA) adopted the resolution A/RES/49/115 on 19 December 1994 and proclaimed the 17th June of every year as the World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought.
ii.The first World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought was observed on 17th June 1995.
About United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD):
Executive Secretary– Ibrahim Thiaw
Secretariat– Bonn, Germany
>>Read Full News
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|S.no||Current Affairs 18 June 2021|
|1||MoC Signed MoU with MoPSW for Cooperation in Development of NMHC at Lothal, Gujarat|
|2||Union Cabinet approves restructuring of OFB into 7 new Corporate entities|
|3||Cabinet Approvals on June 16, 2021|
|4||TRAI amended Interconnection Regulations, 2017 by adding new framework for Broadcasting & Cable Services|
|5||India’s H-Energy signs MoU with Petrobangla to supply LNG to Bangladesh|
|6||Government to setup Committee on Energy Efficiency, Low Carbon Technology: R K Singh|
|7||India set to add 17 GW renewable capacity in 2021 and 19.3 GW in 2022: IEA|
|8||NATO Leaders declared China as Global Security Challenge at NATO Summit in Brussels, Belgium|
|9||India’s 2021 competitiveness ranking unchanged at 43|
|10||High-level Advisory Group for Economic Recovery and Growth by World Bank & IMF|
|11||18 million kids at risk of Health hazards caused by e-Waste – WHO|
|12||GoI inked $484mn loan pact with ADB for CKIC project in TN|
|13||India Extends 100 million USD LoC to support Sri Lanka’s Solar Power Coverage|
|14||IndusInd Bank Launched IndusEasyCredit, a Digital Lending Platform|
|15||CII Projects India’s GDP Growth for FY22 to 9.5%|
|16||Sumant Sinha recognised as a SDG Pioneer of the Year by UNGC|
|17||Microsoft appointed CEO Satya Nadella as Chairman|
|18||Yuvraj Singh Becomes Brand Ambassador of PUMA Motorsport in India|
|19||Mukund Gosavi Becomes Brand Ambassador of Corona Vaccination Program in Maharashtra|
|20||ADI PRASHIKSHAN portal launched by Ministry of Tribal Affairs in collaboration with UNDP|
|21||Mahavir Chakra Awardee Veteran Brigadier Raghubir Singh Passed Away|
|22||Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik Released Bishnupada Sethi’s book “Beyond Here and Other Poems”|
|23||Amitav Ghosh’s Authored a book titled “The Nutmeg’s Curse: Parables for a Planet in Crisis”|
|24||World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought 2021 – June 17|