We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 18 December 2021, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2021 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs December 2021 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2021 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
Union Cabinet gives nod to raise women’s marriage age to 21 from 18 years
ii.In this regard, a Bill will be introduced to amend the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act (PCMA), 2006, Special Marriage Act, 1954 and personal laws such as the Hindu Marriage Act 1955 in the ongoing winter session of Parliament (November 29- December 23, 2021).
iii.The legal age to get married for men is 21.
iv.This decision will not only boost gender equity and gender empowerment but also enable girls to complete their college studies and start earning.
About Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD):
Union Minister– Smriti Zubin Irani (Constituency- Amethi, Uttar Pradesh)
Minister of State (MoS)– Dr. Munjpara Mahendrabhai Kalubhai (Constituency- Surendranagar, Gujarat)
>> Read Full News
HAL Obtains ADE-DRDO Supply Order for ‘ABHYAS’ Target Platform
- HAL will be the Development-cum-Production Partner (DcPP) for supply of this target system along with private firms (50 percent of the volume).
- The vehicle is a fully programmed autonomous flight
About Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL):
Chairman & MD – R. Madhavan
Established – 1940
Headquarters – Bengaluru, Karnataka
>> Read Full News
DPIIT Launched LogiXtics, Unified Logistics Interface Platform Hackathon
The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry(MCI) has launched the Unified Logistics Interface Platform(ULIP) Hackathon – ‘LogiXtics’ with an aim to crowdsource ideas to benefit the logistics industry in India.
- The hackathon was launched by Amitabh Kant, CEO of NITI Aayog in the presence of Amrit Lal Meena, CEO & MD of NICDC & Special Secretary, Department of Logistics, MCI, and others.
- LogiXtics is organised by (National Institution for Transforming India) NITI Aayog and Atal Innovation Mission(AIM) and supported by National Industrial Corridor Development Corporation (NICDC) and NICDC Logistics Data Bank Services Limited (NLDSL).
Aim: To promote the Startup community, individuals or anyone with the strategic skills and domain knowledge of the sector.
i.This Hackathon will provide a platform for the participants to showcase their strategic, coding and domain skills on a national level to solve the existing logistics industry issues by
- Ideating innovative ideas to bring transparency and visibility by automating, optimizing, and cross-utilizing India’s logistics resources/systems.
- Developing solution/product by leveraging the logistics-related data available with various Government systems.
- Contributing to India’s Ease of Doing Business and Logistics Performance Index (LPI).
ii.Hackathon is divided into 2 stages: the ideation stage & the prototype stage.
iii.The winner of the hackathon will receive a cash prize of Rs 10 Lakhs and the 1st and 2nd Runner-up will receive Rs 7 Lakhs and Rs 5 Lakhs respectively.
i.ULIP is designed to increase efficiency and reduce logistics costs in India through a transparent platform that can provide real-time information to the stakeholders and remove all asymmetry information.
ii.ULIP is in line with the objective of PM Gati Shakti and is critical for achieving Aatma Nirbhar Bharat.
Cost of logistics in India:
i.Compared to developed countries like the United States(US) and Germany, India incurs one of the highest logistics costs as a percentage of GDP.
ii.The cost of logistics in India is around 14% which is higher than in other countries in the world.
iii.Reduction of logistics cost to 9% will save up to USD 50 billion.
Central Government Grant ‘In-Principle’ Approval for 6 Nuclear Reactors at Jaitapur, Maharashtra
- The approval is for setting up 6 nuclear power reactors of 1650 MW each, making Jaitapur as India’s largest nuclear power generating site with a total capacity of 9900 MW
- Technical cooperation is provided by the French Firm – Électricité de France (EDF).
i.The government provides strength to promote the use of nuclear energy in health services and agricultural programmes for indigenous development, import substitutes for cost-effective treatment.
ii.The Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) is involved in the development, pre-clinical evaluation and obtaining the radiopharmaceuticals committee’s approval for human use.
iii.Technologies for large-scale production of these radiopharmaceuticals are transferred to the Board of Radiation and Isotope Technology (BRIT).
i.BRIT is involved in producing and supplying radiopharmaceutical products across India and also supports a large number of irradiators by supplying Cobalt-60 pencils.
ii.These irradiators are used for food grain preservation and sterilisation of medical products.
Note – Currently, 6780 MW of Nuclear Power Capacity is established in India. The share of nuclear power in the total electricity generation in India is about 3.1 percent in the year 2020-2021.
About Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC):
Director – Ajit kumar Mohanty
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
BANKING & FINANCE
CSB Bank, Clear ties up to Launch ITR e-filing Facility for NRI customers
- This collaboration will reduce customers’ efforts and time for tax filing.
- This facility is also available to CSB Bank’s resident customers.
i.Through this partnership, bank’s customers will also have an option for CA (Chartered Accountant) assisted ITR filing, expert advisory on capital gains, global income, inheritance etc.
- All these services will be provided at a discounted rate.
ii.Customers will also get free tax tools, chatbot and call centre support for any queries related to self e-filing of income tax.
iii.The Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of CBS Bank is C. VR. Rajendran.
ICICI Prudential Life Insurance signs the UN’s Principles of Responsible Investing
i.In order to promote sustainability, IPRULIFE is integrating ESG factors into its investment management framework.
ii.IPRULIFE has also recently launched the ‘Sustainable Equity Fund’, an ESG-focused fund to maintain sustainability.
i.The UNPRI is an investor initiative in partnership with the two bodies of the United Nations – the UN Environment Programme Finance Initiative and the UN Global Compact.
Goals – To understand and integrate the investment implications of environmental, social and governance issues towards ownership decisions.
ii.Currently, it has over 4,000 signatories from 60 countries collectively representing over $120 trillion of assets committed to integrating ESG considerations into their investment practices and ownership policies.
i.IPRULIFE is a key institutional investor with Rs. 2.37 trillion assets and integrates the ESG framework.
ii.The sustainability framework is built on the three pillars of ESG, namely, leaving the planet a better place for the next generation, giving back to society and transparency in functioning.
About ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Ltd:
It is promoted by ICICI Bank Limited & Prudential Corporation Holdings Limited
Operations Commenced on – 2001
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
CEO & MD – N. S. Kannan
Union Bank Partners with Home First Finance to Offer Home Loans
- HomeFirst will retain a minimum of 20 percent of the loan while 80 percent will be retained by UBI.
Aim – To provide a seamless experience to retail home loan customers in the priority sector and to strengthen both companies.
i.HomeFirst will originate loan amount, according to UBI’s credit policy in accordance with Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI’s) Co-Lending Model
ii.The housing finance company will act as a servicing agent for the loan accounts throughout the loan period.
What is the Co-Lending Model (CLM)?
i.The framework of co-lending was provided by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) with an objective to join the low-cost funding model of a bank with cost-efficient sourcing and servicing capabilities of Non-Banking Financial Company (NBFC) to unserved and underserved sectors of India.
ii.The co-lending bank will take its share of the individual loans on a back-to-back basis in their books, while NBFC is required to retain a minimum of 20% share of the individual loans on its books.
About Union Bank of India:
CEO & MD – Rajkiran Rai. G
Establishment – 1919
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
About Home First Finance Company India Ltd:
Chairman & Independent Director – Deepak Satwalekar
Established – 2010
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Co-lending Partnership between Samunnati & IndusInd Bank to Support FPOs
- Under the co-lending agreement, Rs 15 crore will be disbursed as an initial amount to farmer collectives.
- Objective: To ensure the self-sustainability and profitability of Farmer Collectives and their members, comprising mostly small-holder farmers.
- The partnership will enable easy access to working capital to Samunnati’s growing network of 1,500 Farmer Collectives with a member base of 6 million farmers.
Co-Lending Model (CLM):
In November 2020, guidelines for co-lending between NBFC’s (Non Banking Finance Companies) and Banks was provided by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and mandated NBFC’s to share a minimum of 20 percent of the credit risk by way of direct exposure on their books till maturity and the balance on the bank’s books. Click here to know more
Headquarters – Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Founder and CEO – Anil Kumar SG
About IndusInd Bank:
Establishment – 1994
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
MD&CEO – Sumant Kathpalia
Tagline – We Make You Feel Richer
RBI Allows Payments Banks, SFBs as Agency Bank to conduct Govt Business
On December 15, 2021, in consultation with the Department of Financial Services (DFS), the Ministry of Finance, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to make the Scheduled payments banks and scheduled small finance banks (SFBs) eligible to conduct Government (govt) agency business.
i.Background: On May 10, 2021, RBI, revised the existing guidelines on ‘Appointment of Scheduled Private Sector Banks as Agency Banks of RBI’ for authorising Scheduled Private Sector Banks as agency banks of RBI for conducting govt business (Central and/or State).
- Note – In February 2021, the Finance Ministry had removed the embargo (an official ban) imposed in September 2012 on the allocation of govt business to private sector banks.
ii.All the instructions/conditions prescribed on May 10, 2021, will henceforth be applicable to the scheduled payments banks and scheduled SFBs.
iii.Thus any payment bank or small finance bank which intends to undertake govt agency business could be appointed as an agent of RBI only upon execution of an agreement with RBI and also in compliance with the regulatory framework prescribed for those banks.
iv.If the Scheduled private sector banks (which is not having agency agreement with RBI) wish to undertake govt business, it will be approved by RBI only if it is not under the Prompt Corrective Action (PCA) framework or moratorium of the RBI.
v.Concerned Central govt Departments /State govt has the sole option to accredit an agency bank and discontinue the bank from agency business.
About Reserve Bank of India (RBI):
i.The Reserve Bank of India was established on April 1, 1935, in accordance with the provisions of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934.
ii.The Central Office of the Reserve Bank was initially established in Calcutta but was permanently moved to Mumbai in 1937.
iii.Though originally privately owned, since nationalization in 1949, the Reserve Bank is fully owned by the Government of India.
Innoterra & NABFOUNDATION signed MoU to Provide Services to 1 lakh Small Farmers
- NABFOUNDATION is a not-for-profit organization of the National Bank for Agricultural and Rural Development (NABARD).
- The services will be provided in selected clusters over the next two years that will increase farm incomes over 3-5 years.
Sanjeev D Rohilla, Chief Executive officer (CEO), NABFOUNDATION and Pablo Erat, Chairman, Innoterra
i.This partnership will enable over 5,000 Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs) and 1 Lakh smallholder farmers to access a host of services provided by the Innoterra platform.
ii.Innoterra platform provides 360-degree services encompassing farm inputs, data-driven advisory, traceability and market access to smallholder farmers in India.
It takes up scalable development projects of interest to National Bank for Agricultural and Rural Development (NABARD) and rural India.
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
Bajaj Allianz General Insurance launches ‘Health Prime’ Rider
To provide a total wellness ecosystem and encourage a preventive rather than curative approach.
i.The rider is collaborating with Bajaj Finserv Health to provide the benefit of 90,000 doctors to the customers of Bajaj Allianz General Insurance.
ii.It covers four key areas including tele-consultation cover, doctor consultation cover, investigations cover for pathology or radiology expenses and annual preventive health check-up cover in a cashless manner.
About Bajaj Allianz General Insurance:
MD & CEO-Tapan Singhel
Headquarters- Pune, Maharashtra
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Avani Lekhara wins ‘Best Female Debut’ honour at 2021 Paralympic Sport Awards
- She became the 1st Indian woman to win 2 Paralympic medals in a single edition of the Paralympic Games.
- India won an unprecedented 19 medals at the Paralympic Games including 5 Gold, 8 Silver & 6 Bronze.
- The 1st ever Paralympic games were held in 1960 at Rome, Italy
- Paralympic Symbol consists of 3 ‘Agitos’ (meaning ‘I Move’)
- Motto of 2020 Tokyo Paralympics – “United by Emotion”
- President of International Paralympic Committee – Andrew Parsons
- President of Paralympic Committee of India – Deepa Malik
PM Modi Becomes the 1st Foreigner to Receive ‘Ngadag Pel gi Khorlo’, Bhutan’s Highest Civilian Award
PM Modi becomes the first foreigner to receive the coveted award.
- King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck conferred the award upon PM Modi.
- The announcement was made by Lotay Tshering, Prime Minister of Bhutan.
Other International Civilian Honours Awarded to PM Modi:
|Country||Name of the Award||Year|
|Saudi Arabia||Order of Abdulaziz Al Saud||2016|
|Afghanistan||State Order of Ghazi Amir Amanullah Khan||2016|
|Palestine||Grand Collar of the State of Palestine||2018|
|United Arab Emirates(UAE)||Order of Zayed||2019|
|Russia||Order of St. Andrew||2019|
|Maldives||Order of the Distinguished Rule of Izzuddin||2019|
|Bahrain||King Hamad Order of the Renaissance||2019|
|United States(US)||Legion of Merit||2020|
About the Ngadag Pel gi Khorlo:
The Order of the Dragon King (Druk Gyalpo) was founded on 7 November 2008 by King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck.
The Druk Gyalpo is the official title of the head of state of Bhutan, meaning Dragon King in Dzongkha.
Aim: To recognise those who have devoted a lifetime of service to Bhutan and the people of Bhutan.
The order has two grades: First class and Second class.
Features: The award comes with a Breast Star and Sash Badge.
- The inaugural award was awarded to Her Majesty the Royal Grandmother, Gyalyum Ashi Kesang Choden Wangchuck and 68th Je Khenpo Chab Je Thrizur Tenzin Dendup in 2008.
About National Day of Bhutan:
The National Day is annually observed across Bhutan on 17th December to commemorate the Coronation of His Majesty the First King of Bhutan, Druk Gyalpo Ugyen Wangchuck on 17th December 1907.
- 17th December 2021 marks the observance of the 114th National Day.
Bhutan is officially known as the Kingdom of Bhutan.
King– Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck
Prime Minister– Lotay Tshering
TiE conferred 2021 ‘Global Entrepreneur of the Year’ award to KM Birla
- He was conferred with the award for his extraordinary leadership during the pandemic period.
- KM Birla is the 1st Indian industrialist to receive this prestigious award.
i.Other personalities who were awarded in 2021:
- Elon Musk (Global Entrepreneur of the Year-Immigrant Entrepreneur)
- Jeff Bezos (Global Entrepreneur of the Year-First Generation)
- Satya Nadella (Global Entrepreneur of the Year-Entrepreneurial CEO)
- Techstars (Best Global Accelerator for Startups)
- MIT (Global University Promoting Student Entrepreneurship)
ii.An independent jury chaired by Tim Draper, founder of Draper University, selected the awardees.
About Aditya Birla Group:
Founder- Seth Shiv Narayan Birla
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
Britain’s 7-times F1 Champion Lewis Hamilton Received Knight Bachelor for Services to Motorsport
Hamilton is the 4th F1 driver to receive the knighthood, the honorary title Sir in Britain after Jack Brabham(Australian), Stirling Moss and Jackie Stewart.
- He is the first and the only active racer to receive the honours.
Other active sportsmen to receive knighthood:
- Bradley Wiggins (Road and track racing cyclist) was knighted in 2013
- Andy Murray, (Tennis) was knighted in 2016
- Mo Farah (Track athlete) was knighted in 2017
- Alastair Cook (Cricket) was knighted in 2019
About Lewis Hamilton:
i.Sir Lewis Hamilton, the first and the only black driver to race in the F1 series, currently competes in the F1 representing Mercedes and he has previously represented McLaren from 2007 to 2012.
ii.He has tied with Michael Schumacher of Germany with 7 driver’s championships.
iii.He holds the record for Most wins in Formula 1 with 103 wins since his debut in 2007.
iv.He has the record of the Most consecutive race starts with 265.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Hyundai Motor Appointed Unsoo Kim as MD of HMIL
Hyundai Motor Company(HMC) has appointed Unsoo Kim as the Managing Director(MD) of Hyundai Motor India Limited (HMIL), starting from 1st January 2022. He will replace Seon Seob Kim (SS Kim), who will lead the Global Operations Division in Hyundai headquarters in Seoul, South Korea.
HMIL, a wholly-owned subsidiary of HMC is India’s first smart mobility solutions provider and the number one car exporter in India.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Union Minister Giriraj Singh launches MIS ‘Vikas Portal’ for rankings of States/UTs in Land Acquisition Projects
- In this regard, awards will be conferred upon top 3 States and top 3 districts by capturing the data, figures, and speed of the development in the country. It will promote healthy competition among States/UTs.
- RFCTLARR is an acronym for Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement.
It is developed by the National Informatics Centre (NIC) team of Department of Land Resources (DoLR), MoRD with zero cost.
i.This portal will capture information on various parameters of land acquisition, required for ranking of the State/UTs.
ii.It is a software-driven program under which respective State/UTs will submit relevant information for developmental projects on the basis of which ranking will be developed.
- The ranking will be an automatic process with no interference of the department.
iii.The ranking will enable the states to monitor their progress as well as increase their speed of the developmental projects.
- They will get marks out of 140 with a provision of negative marking for delaying implementation.
iv.In the first phase, land acquisition is undertaken from January 1, 2014 for ranking purposes and will be continued.
Ministers of State (MoS) Faggan Singh Kulaste and Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti, MoRD; Secretary Ajay Tirkey, (DoLR), among others
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Shantanu Gupta authors Book on Yogi Adityanath – “The Monk Who Transformed Uttar Pradesh”
i.The book underlines the journey of Uttar Pradesh (UP) Chief Minister (CM) Yogi Adityanath, from being born in Uttarakhand to becoming a Nath Panthi saint, to CM of Uttar Pradesh.
ii.It also highlights the transformation of UP in various aspects like law and order, connectivity, education, health infrastructure, etc under the tenure of Yogi Adityanath.
iii.Yogi Adityanath was born on 5 June 1972 in Pauri Garhwal, Uttrakhand. Currently he is serving as the CM of UP from BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party).
Other books by Shantanu Gupta
- “BHARATIYA JANATA PARTY: Past, Present and Future: Story of the World’s Largest Political Party” (2019)
- “The Monk Who Became Chief Minister” (2017).
International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers 2021 – December 17
- The day has empowered the workers to come together against discrimination and remember the victims of violence.
‘Red Umbrella’ is the symbol for sex workers’ rights across the globe.
In 2005 the International Committee on the Rights of Sex Workers in Europe adopted the red umbrella as its symbol for the rights of sex workers.
>> Read Full News
Haryana Govt Starts Khel Nursery Scheme to Promote Sports
- The scheme promotes sports nurseries that will be started in government, private educational institutions and private sports institutions.
i.The applications for the scheme are invited by the sports department till January 20, 2022.
ii.The sports nurseries are being opened for the sports included in the Olympic, Asian and Commonwealth Games.
Governor – Bandaru Dattatreya
Dance – Ras Leela, Phag Dance, Daph Dance, Dhamal Dance
Wildlife Sanctuaries – Kalesar Wildlife Sanctuary, Bir Shikargah Wildlife Sanctuary, Chhilchhila Wildlife Sanctuary
Tata Motors & Maharashtra Signed MoU to Set Up Vehicle Scrapping Facility
Tata Motors Limited, one of India’s largest commercial vehicle manufacturers, has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the state government of Maharashtra through the Industries, Energy and Labour Department to support the establishment of a Registered Vehicle Scrapping Facility (RVSF) in Maharashtra.
- The facility will have a capacity of recycling around 35000 vehicles a year.
- The MoU was concluded at the Conference on Investment Opportunities in Highway, Transport and Logistics in Mumbai in the presence of Nitin Gadkari, Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways.
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|S.no||Current Affairs 18 December 2021|
|1||Union Cabinet gives nod to raise women’s marriage age to 21 from 18 years|
|2||HAL Obtains ADE-DRDO Supply Order for ‘ABHYAS’ Target Platform|
|3||DPIIT Launched LogiXtics, Unified Logistics Interface Platform Hackathon|
|4||Central Government Grant ‘In-Principle’ Approval for 6 Nuclear Reactors at Jaitapur, Maharashtra|
|5||CSB Bank, Clear ties up to Launch ITR e-filing Facility for NRI customers|
|6||ICICI Prudential Life Insurance signs the UN’s Principles of Responsible Investing|
|7||Union Bank Partners with Home First Finance to Offer Home Loans|
|8||Co-lending Partnership between Samunnati & IndusInd Bank to Support FPOs|
|9||RBI Allows Payments Banks, SFBs as Agency Bank to conduct Govt Business|
|10||Innoterra & NABFOUNDATION signed MoU to Provide Services to 1 lakh Small Farmers|
|11||Bajaj Allianz General Insurance launches ‘Health Prime’ Rider|
|12||Avani Lekhara wins ‘Best Female Debut’ honour at 2021 Paralympic Sport Awards|
|13||PM Modi Becomes the 1st Foreigner to Receive ‘Ngadag Pel gi Khorlo’, Bhutan’s Highest Civilian Award|
|14||TiE conferred 2021 ‘Global Entrepreneur of the Year’ award to KM Birla|
|15||Britain’s 7-times F1 Champion Lewis Hamilton Received Knight Bachelor for Services to Motorsport|
|16||Hyundai Motor Appointed Unsoo Kim as MD of HMIL|
|17||Union Minister Giriraj Singh launches MIS ‘Vikas Portal’ for rankings of States/UTs in Land Acquisition Projects|
|18||Shantanu Gupta authors Book on Yogi Adityanath – “The Monk Who Transformed Uttar Pradesh”|
|19||International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers 2021 – December 17|
|20||Haryana Govt Starts Khel Nursery Scheme to Promote Sports|
|21||Tata Motors & Maharashtra Signed MoU to Set Up Vehicle Scrapping Facility|