- Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh received the distinction for providing employment to a large number of youth under the IBPS scheme.
- The scheme has generated direct employment for more than 40, 000 people residing in Tier-II and Tier-III cities, out of which 38% are women.
- Currently, 252 BPO/ITES (Business Process Outsource/Information Technology Enabled Services) units are operational under the scheme. They have generated around 3, 000 additional employment in 2020.
- It has led to establishment of BPOs in cities untouched by the BPO/ITES sector such as Baitalpur (Uttar Pradesh), Mayiladuthurai (Tamil Nadu), Bhimavaram (Andhra Pradesh), Majuli (Assam).
i.The IBPS scheme was launched in 2014 under Digital India Programme to incentivize establishment of 48, 300 seats under BPO/ITES (Business Process Outsource/Information Technology Enabled Services) operations across India.
- It aims to create employment opportunities for the youth, by promoting the IT/ITES industry.
ii.Software Technology Parks of India (STPI), an autonomous body under Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) is the nodal implementing agency of the scheme.
iii.Incentive – It is distributed among each State in proportion to the State’s population with an outlay of INR 493 crore.
iv.The Salient Features of IBPS scheme are
- Financial Support – The scheme provides upto 50% of expenditure incurred on BPO/ITES operations towards capital expenditure (CAPEX) and/or operational expenditure (OPEX) on admissible items, subject to an upper ceiling of Rs. 1 Lakh/Seat.
- Special incentives toward employment of women & specially abled persons. Special consideration for Hilly states of Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, and Uttarakhand.
Visakhapatnam to become Software Product Development City
Visakhapatnam is set to become the software product development city after the launch of Centre of Excellence (CoE) on Industry 4.0 by STPI. It is the 1st of its kind in India and will be set up inside RINL, corporate entity of Visakhapatnam Steel Plant.
About Software Technology Parks of India (STPI)
Director General – Dr. Omkar Rai
Head Office – New Delhi