i.Some key statistics from the report,
- More than 7,03,000 people died by suicide in 2019 i.e. 1 in every 100 deaths. More than 58% of the global suicides have occured before the age of 50 years.
- Suicide is the 4th leading cause of death among 15-29 year olds after road injury, tuberculosis and interpersonal violence.
- 77% of global suicides in 2019 occured in Low-and Middle-Income countries.
- The global age-standardized suicide rate was 9.0 per 1,00,000 population for 2019
- Global suicide rate has decreased by 36% in the last 2 decades (2000-19).
i.Highest Rate Regions :– The suicide rates was highest in WHO Africa region (11.2) followed by Europe (10.5) and South-East Asia (10.2).
ii.Regions with decreased rate :- 17% in the Eastern Mediterranean Region to 47% in European Region and 49% in the Western Pacific Region.
iii.Despite overall decline, the world will not be able to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) concerning mental health.
iv.The global age-standardized suicide rate was higher in males (12.6 per 100 000) than in females (5.4 per 100 000)
Global level Suicide prevention strategy
i.Reduction of suicide rates in countries is an indicator in the UN SDGs, the WHO 13th General Programme of Work (GPW 13) and Mental Health Action Plan.
ii.Currently, only 38 countries have national suicide prevention strategy.
WHO ‘LIVE LIFE’ guidelines
WHO had published new LIVE LIFE guidelines to help countries reduce the global suicide mortality rate by a third by 2030. These are:
- Limiting access to means of suicide
- Educating the media on responsible reporting of suicide.
- Fostering socio-emotional life skills in adolescents.
- Early identification, assessment, management and follow-up of people affected by suicidal thoughts and behaviour.
Recent Related News:
On 1st September 2020, The National Crime Records Bureau(NCRB), Ministry of Home Affairs released an annual report titled “Accidental Deaths and Suicides in India(ADSI) 2019”.
About World Health Organization (WHO)
Director-General – Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland