In order to boost research culture in India, the University Grants Commission (UGC) approved a new initiative – Scheme for Trans-disciplinary Research for India’s Developing Economy (STRIDE).
- Importance: It will strengthen research culture and innovation in colleges and universities by assisting students and faculty to contribute towards India’s developing economy with the help of collaborative research.
- Initiatives: The important initiatives under the scheme are Research Project, Research Capacity Building and Innovation.
- Objectives: The aim is to identify young talent, strengthen research culture, build capacity, promote innovation, support trans-disciplinary research and to fund multi-institutional network high-impact research projects in humanities and human sciences.
- Components: There are 3 components to the scheme. Component 1- Identify the motivated young talents (open to all disciplines for grant upto 1 crore), Component 2- Enhance problem solving skills (open to all disciplines for grant up to 50 lakh – 1 crore), and Component 3- Fund high impact research projects (grant up to 1 crore for one HEI and up to 5 crores for multi-institutional network).
- Database: National Innovation Foundation has a database of over 3 lakh technological ideas from over 608 districts.
- Applications: Applications are invited for the scheme and the last date to submit the application is July 31, 2019.
♦ Founded: 1956
♦ Headquarters: New Delhi