- World number one Serena Williams claimed a 6th Wimbledon title and fourth successive grand slam crown by suppressing the spirited attacking instincts of 20th -seeded defeated Spaniard Garbine Muguruza 6-4,6-4 in southwest London to complete the “Serena Slam”.
- Williams hasn’t lost in a Grand Slam since falling in the third round to Alize Cornet at Wimbledon last year.
- Williams would become the first player since Steffi Graf in 1988 to achieve the calendar-year grand slam.Shealso won the U.S,Australian and French Open titles.
- Veteran American has now set the stage for a shot at history in her own backyard when she returns to New York for next month’s US Open where she will look to become just the fourth female player to win all four grand slams in a year.
- The Championships,Wimbledonis the oldest tennis tournament in the world,It has been held at the All England Club in Wimbledon, London since 1877.
- It is one of the fourGrand Slamtennis tournaments,the others being the Australian Open,the French Open and the US Open. Since the Australian Open shifted to hardcourt in 1988,Wimbledon is the only major still played on grass.
- The tournament takes place over two weeks in late June and early July, culminating with the Ladies’ and Gentlemen’s Singles Final, scheduled always for the second Saturday and Sunday respectively. Five major, junior, and invitational events are held each year.
- Gentlemen’s Singles
- Ladies’ Singles
- Gentlemen’s Doubles
- Ladies’ Doubles
- Mixed Doubles
- Boys’ Singles
- Girls’ Singles
- Boys’ Doubles
- Girls’ Doubles
- Disabled Doubles
- Gentlemen’s Invitation Doubles
- Senior Gentlemen’s Invitation Doubles
- Ladies’ Invitation Doubles
- Gentlemen’s Wheelchair Doubles
- Ladies’ Wheelchair Doubles
Wimbledon Championship 15 Facts:
- Wimbledon is the only Grand Slam that is played on grass courts.
- Wimbledon was interrupted twice, during World War-1 and World War-2.
- The first Wimbledon was won by Spencer Gore in 1877.
- The total prize money for this year’s championship is Â£9,373,990 .
- 54,250 tennis balls are used during the championship.
- Yellow tennis balls were introduced in 1986, before this only white balls were used.which caused difficulty for the umpires.
- Novak is the only man to have beaten Roger Federer in all four majors.
- Federer is the only man to have beaten Djokovic in all four grand slam events.
- Djokovic has won total of 651 matches in his professional career.
- Roger Federer has a record total of 17 grand slam titles .
- Federer is the only man to reach 10 consecutive finals.
- They have faced each other 39 times, with Federer leading 20-19.
- Neither man has defeated the other more than four times in a row.
- Balls that are used during the championship are sent to Surrey Wildlife Trust to be used as an alternative home for the threatened harvest mouse.
- Novak Djokovic has celebrated each of his Wimbledon victories by eating blades of grass.
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification