Union Finance Minister, Arun Jaitley has presented Letters of Intent (LOI) to seven shortlisted entities under the ‘Adopt a Heritage Scheme’. LOIs were presented at the closing ceremony of ‘Paryatan Parv’ in New Delhi on October 25, 2017.
About ‘Adopt a Heritage Scheme’:
‘Adopt a Heritage Scheme’ was launched on World Tourism Day i.e. 27thSeptember, 2017 by President Ram Nath Kovind.
- This scheme has been initiated by Ministry of Tourism in close collaboration with the Ministry of Culture and Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).
- Under this scheme, Ministry of Tourism invited private and public sector companies to adopt as many as 116 ASI-protected monuments/sites and to take up the responsibility for its maintenance, conservation and development.
Shortlisted Entities under ‘Adopt a Heritage Scheme’:
Post announcement of this scheme, Ministry of Tourism received positive response from several organisations.
- After detailed scrutiny, 14 monuments have been allocated for adoption to 7 entities. These entities are reputed names in hospitality industry, travel industry and banking industry.
- These entities have been presented Letters of Intent (LOI) and are being referred to as future ‘Monument Mitras’.
- Interestingly, no entity came forward to adopt the Taj Mahal.
Shortlisted Entities and Adopted Monuments:
|SBI Foundation||Jantar Mantar, Delhi|
|TK International Ltd.||
|Yatra Online Pvt. Ltd.||
|Travel Corporation of India Ltd.||
|Adventure Tour Operator Association of India||
|Special Holiday Travel Pvt. Ltd. (with) Rotary Club of Delhi||Agrasen ki Baoli, Delhi|
|NBCC||Purana Quila, Delhi|