- The report prepared by ICMR-NCDIR has been funded by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), Government of India.
- The report provides Estimates of Cancer cases & Data regarding types of Cancer in the NER region.
- The findings will be helpful in developing a Comprehensive Cancer Prevention & Control Plan for the entire NER.
i.Sources of Data:
- The estimates are based on Cancer Data compiled by eleven Population-Based Cancer Registries (PBCRs) in 8 states of NER (Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura)
- It also includes data from 7 hospital-based Cancer Registries HBCRs in Assam, Manipur, Mizoram and Tripura from 2012-2016.
- The Incidence of Cancer was higher among men than women in all states of NER region except Manipur & Sikkim
- The Highest age-adjusted cancer incidence rate in males (269.4 per 100, 000) was recorded in Aizawl, Mizoram.
- Among Females Highest cancer incidence rate (219.8 per 100, 000) was recorded in Papumpare, Arunachal Pradesh, which is the highest in both the region and in India.
Commonly Occurring Cancer:
- The Most commonly occurring Cancer among Men are of Oesophagus (13.6%) followed by Lung (10.9%)
- Among Women it is Breast Cancer (14.5%) followed by Cervix Uteri (12.2%)
- The probability of Developing Cancer in Lifetime is highest in Kamrup urban, Assam – 1 in every 4 males & 1 in every 6 females.
iii.Other Key Findings:
- The proportion of Tobacco-related cancers was found to be 49.3% in men & 22.8 % in women.
- The age-specific incidence rate in both genders is highest in 70-74 years.
- Number of patients seeking treatment outside the NER was highest in Sikkim (95.3 %) & Nagaland (58.1 %).
- The highest prevalence of hypertension in Men (41.6 %) & Women (34.5 %) was found in Sikkim followed by Manipur (Men 33.2% & Women 23%).
- The findings also revealed that Men had Higher Blood Sugar Level compared to women in the entire NER region.
Recent Related News:
i.On 18th August 2020, The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) – National Centre for Disease Informatics & Research (NCDIR), Bengaluru released a new Report of National Cancer Registry Programme 2020.
About Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR):
Director General – Balram Bhargava
Headquarters – New Delhi
About National Centre for Disease Informatics & Research (NCDIR):
Director – Prashant Mathur
Headquarters – Bengaluru, Karnataka