On November 25, 2021, the Prime Minister (PM) of India, Narendra Damodardas Modi laid the foundation stone of Noida International Airport (NIA) or Jewar Airport at Jewar, Uttar Pradesh (UP).
- The airport is planned in 1334 hectares in the Yamuna Expressway International Development Authority (YEIDA) notified area of district Gautam Budhha Nagar, UP.
- The development is on the line of the PM’s vision towards boosting connectivity and creating a future-ready aviation sector.
NIA: Firsts in India
i.It will be India’s first net zero emissions airport. It has earmarked dedicated land to be developed as a forest park using trees from the project site.
ii.This is also the first time in India, an airport has been conceptualised with an integrated multi-modal cargo hub.
iii.Once operational, UP will become the state with maximum airport i.e. 5, Kerala follows UP with 4 Airport.
i.The airport is being developed by concessionaire Yamuna International Airport Private Limited (YIAPL), a 100% subsidiary of Zurich International Airport AG (Kloten, Switzerland).
- YIAPL will develop NIA under the PPP (Public Private Partnership) model in close partnership with the UP Government and the Government of India.
ii.The project will be implemented by Noida International Airport Limited (NIAL), which is a joint-venture company.
- The UP Government will hold a share of 37.5% in the company. Other stake-holders are Noida – 37.5%, Greater Noida – 12.5% and YEIDA – 12.5%.
iii.YEIDA under the UP Government is the Nodal department for the development of the project.
The estimated cost of the proposed project is Rs 15000- 20000 crore and the development of the first phase of the airport is being done at a cost of around Rs 10,050 crore.
i.Noida Airport will become the logistics gateway of north India.
ii.It will act as one of the pillars of the National Gati-Shakti Master Plan.
- It will house a state-of-art MRO (Maintenance, Repair & Overhauling) Service.
iii.This airport will be the second international airport to come up in Delhi NCR (National Capital Region).
iv.It will be strategically located at about 72 km from Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport, New Delhi. about 52 kilometers from Noida, about 130 kilometers from Agra and about 90 kilometers from Multi-Modal Logistics Hub at Dadri.
v.The project will be completed in 4 phases. As per Concession Agreement, the first phase will have a capacity to serve around 1.2 crore passengers a year and work on it is scheduled to be completed by September 29, 2024.
vi.The airport hosts multi-modal connectivity and expects to bring in investments worth Rs 60,000 crore for UP.
- This project will create all round development of the industrial infrastructure in the region, and create employment opportunities.
Recent Related News:
The Chief Minister (CM) of Uttar Pradesh (UP) Yogi Adityanath has announced the launch of ‘Uttar Pradesh Matra Bhumi Yojana‘ while virtually laying other road projects under the Pradhan Mantri Gramin Sadak yojana (PMGSY). This scheme will strengthen the rural economy and infrastructure in the state.
About Uttar Pradesh (UP):
Chief Minister – Yogi Adityanath
Airport– Kanpur airport, Gorakhpur airport, Agra Airport (Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Airport)
Heritage site – Agra fort(1983) , Taj Mahal (1983), Fatehpur Sikri (1986)
Bird sanctuary– Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary,Sandi Bird Sanctuary, Samaspur Bird Sanctuary