- The 14 items are Tasar Cocoon, Cashew Kernel, Elephant Apple Dry, Bamboo Shoot, Malkangani Seed, Mahul Leaves, Nagod, Gokhru, Pipla/Uchithi, Gamhar/Gamari, Oroxylumindicum, Wild Mushroom dry, Shringraj & Tree Moss.
- The 14 new items have been added to MSP under the ‘Mechanism for Marketing of Minor Forest Produce through Minimum Support Price (MSP) & Development of Value Chain for MFP’ scheme.
i.The Central Government introduced MSP for certain products of MFP through the ‘Mechanism for Marketing of MFP’ scheme in 2011.
- Objective – To provide a safety net to underprivileged forest dwellers.
- The scheme has been conceptualised and implemented by TRIFED with State Agencies across 21 States of India.
- It has injected around INR 3000 crores into the tribal economy since April 2020.
- Van Dhan tribal start-ups are also part of the scheme, Van Dhan along with Mechanism for Marketing of MFP scheme has emerged as a source of employment generation for tribal gatherers, Forest dwellers & Indigenous tribal artisans.
ii.In the times of Pandemic, this has further helped in improving the livelihoods of disadvantaged tribes across the country.
Recent Related News:
i.On 17th August 2020, Union Minister of Tribal Affairs Arjun Munda inaugurated the first of its kind e-portal “Swasthya”, a tribal health and nutrition portal.
About Ministry of Tribal Affairs:
Union Minister – Arjun Munda
Minister of State (MoS) – Renuka Singh Saruta