- It calls on FOSS innovators, technology entrepreneurs and Indian Startups to submit open source product innovations in CRM (Customer Relationship Management) & ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning).
- The innovations will be applied in Govtech in the areas of Health, Education, Agriculture, Urban Governance.
- India is well positioned to become a hub for FOSS innovation. Around 96% of Indian users access the digital world through open-source based mobile operating systems (primarily android).
- India’s largest-government projects (including Aadhaar, UPI) and many other technology start-ups have been built using FOSS.
- India had issued a Policy on Adoption of Open Source Software in 2015.
Virtual Roundtable Discussion
- MeitY in collaboration with Omidyar Network India organized a virtual roundtable discussion, “Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) in Government” to increase awareness about the usage of FOSS in governance and Government functioning and adoption.
Free and Open-Source Software (FOSS)
- FOSS is free software & open-source software i.e. anyone is freely licensed to use, copy, study, and change the software in any way.
- The source codes are openly shared so that people are encouraged to voluntarily improve the design of the software.
- India’s COVID-19 contact tracing app ‘Aarogya Setu’ is an Open Source Software.
Recent Related News:
i.December 24, 2020, MoHFW & MeitY announced a Grand Challenge for the Strengthening of “CoWIN” – COVID Vaccine Intelligence Network (CoWIN).
About Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY)
Union Minister – Ravi Shankar Prasad (Lok Sabha – Patna Sahib, Bihar)
Minister of State – Sanjay Dhotre (Lok Sabha – Akola, Maharashtra)