- The score card and rankings of the Index are based on parameters like coverage of Iron–Folic Acid (IFA) supplementation across beneficiaries to support assessment of progress and performance of the programme.
Anemia Mukt Bharat Index
The Anemia Mukt Bharat (AMB) strategy was launched in 2018 to reduce prevalence of Anemia all over India. It is an initiative of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) & United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
i.AMB is part of the Intensified National Iron Plus Initiative (NIPI) program and comes under the Prime Minister’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nourishment (POSHAN) Abhiyaan.
ii.It was launched to speeden up the progress of reduction of Anemia. During the period 2005 to 2015, the reduction of anemia was less than 1% per annum.
- Target – To reduce anaemia in India by 3% per year among children, adolescents and women in the reproductive age group (15-49 years), between the year 2018 and 2022.
- Target Groups – Children 6-59 months, 5-9 years, Adolescent Girls & Boys of 10-19 years, Women of Reproductive Age (15-49 years), Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers.
- India is one of the countries with anemia as a serious public health concern. Almost 50% of pregnant women, 59% of children fewer than 5 years of age, 54% of adolescent girls and 53% of non-pregnant non-lactating women in India are anemic.
- Decline in Anaemia prevalence will contribute to improved maternal and child survival rates, and improved health outcomes for other population groups.
Category-wise Targets set under AMB
|Category||Anemia reduction Target (by 2022)|
|Children 6-59 Months|| 40%
(from 58% in 2016)
|Adolescent Boys 15-19 years||11%
(from 29% in 2016)
|Adolescent Girls 15-19 years||36%
(54% in 2016)
|Women of Reproductive Age||35%
(53% in 2016)
(50% in 2016)
(58% in 2016)
Recent Related News:
On October 21, 2020, the 8th Governing Body Meeting of the State Health Society of the National Health Mission (NHM) was held in Chandigarh where Anemia Mukt Bharat (AMB) Index was released which has been topped by Haryana with a score of 46.7 among all the 29 states in the country.
About Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoHFW)
Union Minister – Dr Harsh Vardhan (Chandni Chowk, NCT of Delhi)
Minister of State – Ashwini Kumar Choubey (Buxar, Bihar)
About United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF):
Executive Director – Henrietta Holsman Fore
Headquarter – New York, USA
Brand Ambassador – Priyanka Chopra