On May 4, 2017 Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu released 3rd edition of the Swachh Survekshan which ranked 434 Indian cities on various cleanliness parameters. Indore in Madhya Pradesh emerged as the cleanest city and Gonda in Uttar Pradesh ranked at the bottom as the dirtiest city.
About Swachh Survekshan 2017:
- This is the 3rd edition of Swachh Survekshan. Earlier the rankings based on survey were released in 2014 and then in 2016.
- 434 Indian cities having more than 1 lakh population were part of the survey in 2017.
The cities were adjudged on following parameters:
|Open defecation free status, solid waste management (including sweeping, collection, transportation and processing of garbage), education and capacity building||45% marks|
|Citizen Feedback – over 18 lakh citizens provided feedback on cleanliness parameters in their respective cities||30% marks|
|Field Inspection||25% marks|
Data for compiling the rankings were provided by municipal corporations and independent assessors. Quality Council of India deployed 421 assessors for on the spot assessment of 17,500 locations in 434 cities and towns.
Top 10 Clean Cities – Swachh Survekshan 2017:
|1st||Indore – Madhya Pradesh|
|2nd||Bhopal – Madhya Pradesh|
|3rd||Visakhapatnam – Andhra Pradesh|
|4th||Surat – Gujarat|
|5th||Mysuru – Karnataka|
|6th||Tiruchirapally – Tamil Nadu|
|7th||NDMC – Delhi|
|8th||Navi Mumbai – Maharashtra|
|9th||Tirupathi – Andhra Pradesh|
|10th||Vadodara – Gujarat|
Bottom 10 Cities – Swachh Survekshan 2017:
|434th||Gonda – Uttar Pradesh|
|433rd||Bhusawal – Maharashtra|
|432nd||Bagaha – Bihar|
|431st||Hardoi – Uttar Pradesh|
|430th||Katihar – Bihar|
|429th||Bahraich – Uttar Pradesh|
|428th||Muktsar – Punjab|
|427th||Abohar – Punjab|
|426th||Shahjahanpur – Uttar Pradesh|
|425th||Khurja – Uttar Pradesh|
Highlights of Swachh Survekshan 2017:
Mysuru, which was holding the top spot since past two surveys, slipped to No. 5 position this time.
- 50 out of 62 cities of Uttar Pradesh in the survey ranked below 300. 5 out of bottom 10 cities are of Uttar Pradesh.
- Varanasi, which is PM Modi’s contituency has registered a meteoric rise in rankings. In 2014, it ranked 418th, in 2016 it ranked 65th and in 2017 it ranked 32nd.
- Cities of Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh have been best performers in terms of improvement in rankings.
- West Bengal State Govt. did not participate in Swachh Sarvekshan 2017, thus its cities have not been ranked.
About Swachh Bharat Abhiyan:
Launched on October 2, 2014 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at Rajghat, New Delhi.
- It is India’s largest ever cleanliness drive involving government officials, school children, common people and celebrities from different fields.
- The ultimate aim is to Open-Defecation Free (ODF) status for India by October 2, 2019, coinciding with Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary.
- This feat is to be accomplished by constructing over 12 million toilets at an estimated cost of Rs. 1.96 lakh crore.