- The index is based on public available data till January 9, 2021.
- China was excluded from the rankings due to lack of publicly available data on Testing.
It is based on 6 Indicators like
- Confirmed cases
- Confirmed deaths
- Confirmed cases per million people
- Confirmed death per million people
- Confirmed cases as a proportion of tests
- Tests per thousand people
Ranking of Neighboring Countries:
- Sri Lanka was the top ranked Country in South Asia with a ranking of 10.
- Maldives was ranked at 25, Pakistan at 69, Nepal at 70, and Bangladesh at 84.
- Brazil ranked 98th(bottom) of the index with the score 4.3.
- The Index also assessed the impact of geography, political systems & economic development in the response towards managing COVID-19.
- Small Countries with a Population of less than 10 Million People have recorded better responses in managing the Pandemic compared to Countries which have higher populations.
- Densely inhabited urban cities like New York, Tokyo & New Delhi proved to be the early developing places for Coronavirus.
Recent Related News:
i.According to Lowy Institute Asia Power Index 2020 Edition released by Sydney (Australia) based Lowy Institute, India with a score of 39.7 (out of 100) is the 4th most powerful country in Asia.
ii.On 23rd June 2020, UNICEF released its first report titled “Lives Upended How COVID-19 threatens the futures of 600 million South Asian children” focusing on the South Asian region on the impacts of COVID-19 on children
About Lowy Institute:
Executive Director – Michael Fullilove
Headquarters – Sydney, Australia