- MoRTH will now be responsible for development, construction, research and policy formulation in Ropeways and Alternate Mobility Solutions.
- Besides this, it will also be the main body for formulation of institutional, financial, and regulatory framework for the concerned sectors.
- It will help India in the development of sustainable alternative mobility solutions in the transport sector for urban, hilly and will ensure last mile connectivity.
- Reduction of congestion on Main Stream Roads
- Ensure last mile connectivity for remote locations
- Help in development of World-Class ropeway infrastructure
- Will pave way for introduction of new technology like CPT – Cable Propelled Transit in India
- To set safe norms for unregulated ropeways
- Ease the transportation of Freights & Goods at remote stations
- Regulating Tariffs structure for the technology
ii.According to estimates, there are 65 ropeway projects in India, out of which only 22 are successful.
Recent Related News:
i.On 21st August 2020, Nitin Jairam Gadkari, Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways launched the mobile app, “Harit Path” for monitoring plantations and transplantation of trees along the highway.
About Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH):
Union Minister – Nitin Gadkari (Member of Lok Sabha – Constituency – Nagpur, Maharashtra)
Minister of State – V K Singh (Member of Lok Sabha – Constituency – Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh)