- The average level of global peacefulness decreased by 0.07 per cent in the 2021 Global Peace Index. It has deteriorated for the 9th time in the last 13 years.
- The Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region remained the world’s least peaceful region, while Europe remained the most peaceful region in the world. 8 of the 10 most peaceful countries are from Europe.
- In the 2020 GPI, India was ranked 139th.
Global Peace Index
- GPI measures the relative position of nations’ and regions’ peacefulness. It is an annual report and was first released in 2009.
- It ranks countries based on 23 indicators across 3 domains: societal safety and security, ongoing domestic and international conflict and the degree of militarisation. It covers 99.7 percent of the world’s population.
i.In total, peacefulness improved in 87 countries and deteriorated in 73.
ii.Only 3 out of 9 regions in the world improved in the peace index.
iii.The economic impact of violence to the global economy in 2020 was USD 14.96 trillion in Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) terms which is equal to 11.6% of the world’s economic activity.
iv.At the Global level – Syria (161), Yemen (162) & Afghanistan (163) were ranked as the least peaceful countries.
v.In South Asian Region,
- Bhutan took the top spot as the most peaceful country in the region (global rank 22), while Afghanistan was the least peaceful country.
- India was ranked 5th peaceful region out of 7 countries.
- Bangladesh’s ranking improved to 91 compared to 98 in 2020.
Recent Related News:
i.December 2, 2020, According to the 8th Edition of ‘Global Terrorism Index (GTI) 2020: Measuring the Impact of Terrorism’ released by IEP, India was ranked as the 8th Most Affected Country in the World due to Terrorism in 2019.
About Institute of Economics and Peace (IEP)
Founder & Executive Chairman – Steve Killelea
Headquarters – Sydney, Australia