6 Conventional Submarines with state-of-art Air Independent Propulsion System will be indigenously developed under Project P75(I) through SP Model.
Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) System –
Normally, a diesel-electric engine used in Submarines needs oxygen supply for combustion of fuel. Whereas, an Air Independent Propulsion System will reduce the frequency of Oxygen needed in the engine, making the submarine eligible for deep-sea operations.
What is the Strategic Partnership Model?
Under SP Model, Indian companies will collaborate with Foreign Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) to construct equipment through Transfer of Technology.
- Thus SP Model will boost Indian government’s ambitious ‘Make in India’ projects in Defence sector.This would be one of the largest ‘Make in India’ projects.
Note – INS Kalvari, was the 1st submarine to be inducted in the Indian Navy in 1967. It was built by Soviet Union.
Organization for Construction:
- Two Indian companies shortlisted as strategic partners, Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) and Larsen & Toubro, will have to respond, in partnership with one of the five OEMs, to the Request for Proposal (RFP).
- Five OEMs are Rosoboronexport (ROE) of Russia, ThyssenKrupp of Germany, Naval Group of France, Navantia of Spain and Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering of South Korea.
ii.Modernising Air Defence Guns:
DAC gave approval for modernising Air Defence Guns and Ammunition of Indian army at a cost of Rs. 6,000 crores under Buy & Make (India) category.
- Till date, Guns & Ammunition used by Indian armed forces are manufactured by foreign players.
- For the 1st time, Indian companies are planning to manufacture guns.
DAC extended the timeline for urgent Capital Acquisition of Armed Forces till 31st August, 2021.
Further to better equip the Armed Forces to meet the operational challenges and facilitate faster induction of required arms and ammunition, the DAC extended the timelines for progressing urgent Capital Acquisitions under the delegated powers to the Armed Forces up to August 31, 2021.
Recent Related News:
DAC approved 3 Acceptance of Necessities (AoNs) worth INR 13, 700 Crore for procurement of various weapons/platforms/equipment/systems for the Indian Army, Indian Navy & Indian Air Force.
About Project P75:
Project 75 (I) is part of the Indian Navy’s 30 year Plan for indigenous submarine construction. This programme had received its approval by the Cabinet Committee on Security in 1999.
Project 75 India or P75I will be the first under the strategic partnership model, promulgated in 2017 to boost indigenous defence manufacturing. The first submarine built under the project is likely to be delivered by 2030.
Development of six P75 Scorpene-Class Submarines of conventional diesel-electric propulsion system with AIP System.
AIP technology is being developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)