We are here for you to provide the important current affairs of September 13 2017 which have unique updates of all daily events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, India Today, Indian Express, Business Standard, all Government official websites. Our complete current affairs helps you to get more marks in Banking, insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railway and all other competitive Exams.
- Daily Current Affairs
- Try our Current Affairs Quiz 2017
- Read Our 2017 Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2017 September
Cabinet Approvals on September 12 2017
1 – The cabinet approves the introduction of the Payment of Gratuity (Amendment) Bill, 2017 in the Parliament
This amendment will be beneficial for persons who are not covered under CCS (Pension) Rules, at par with Central Government employees. This Amendment will increase the maximum limit of gratuity of employees, in the private sector and in Public Sector Undertakings/ Autonomous Organizations under Government of India.
2 – The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approves development of six laning of Narasannapeta-Ranastalam section of National Highway (NH) – 16 in Andhra Pradesh
3 – The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approves survey of Un-appraised Areas of Sedimentary Basins of India.
- Project cost is Rs. 2932.99 crore spread over five years. The Target year is 2019-2020.
- National Oil Companies (NOCs) are meeting the fund requirement from their own sources, which will be reimbursed by the Government. The project will be implemented by NOCs, i.e. Oil India Limited (OIL) and Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC). OIL will conduct survey in North – Eastern States while remaining area will be covered by ONGC
- It will be monitored by Directorate General of on monthly basis.
4 – The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approves doubling of Daund-Manmad Railway Line for promoting Speedy, Reliable & Safe Service
5 – Cabinet approves hiving off mobile tower assets of Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited into a separate company, fully owned by BSNL
This approval authorizes BSNL to monetize its telecom tower infrastructure with the formation of a separate subsidiary company.There are around 4,42,000 mobile towers in the country out of which more than 66,000 mobile tower are of BSNL. An independent, dedicated tower company of BSNL with a focused approach will lead to increasing of external tenancies and consequentially higher revenue for the new company.
6 – Cabinet approves release of additional 1% Dearness Allowance to Central Government employees and Dearness Relief to pensioners with effect from 01.07.2017
This move of increasing additional 1% from 4% is to compensate for price rise as suggested by 7th pay commission ….………Click here for more detail
Cabinet Approvals with Foreign Countries on September 12 2017
On September 12,2017, the union cabinet gave its approval for signing of MoU’s between
Armenia, Japan and morocco with respect to multiple fields. These MoU’s will enhance the bilateral ties between nations.
1 – Cabinet approves MoU between India and Morocco on cooperation in the field of health
The areas of co-operation are
i) Treating Communicable and non-communicable diseases, including child cardiovascular
diseases and cancer
ii)Maternal, child and neonatal health;
iii) Drug Regulation and Pharmaceutical quality control;
iv) Hospital twinning for exchange of good practices;
v) Training in administration and management of health services and Hospitals;
2 – Cabinet approves MoU between India and Armenia on Cooperation in the field of Disaster Management
3 – Cabinet apprised of MoU between India and Japan for collaborative research in the field of silkworm and silk industries…………Click here for more detail
India, Belarus sign 10 pacts to Expand Cooperation
- MoU between the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports of the Republic of India and the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Belarus
- MoU in the Field of Vocational Education and Training
- Agreement on Scientific and Technical Cooperation between Indian National Science Academy (INSA) and the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus
- MoU for Cooperation in Agricultural Research and Education
- Cooperation in the field of culture for 2018-2020
- MoU between M/o Petroleum & Natural Gas of the Republic of India and Belarusian State Concern of Oil and Chemistry in the Oil and Gas Sector
- MoU between JSC Belarusian Potash Company (BPC) and Indian Potash Ltd (IPL)………Click here for more detail
Government constitutes Group of Ministers under Sushil kumar Modi & Hasmukh Adhia to resolve IT challenges faced in GST implementation
On September 12,2017 Ministry of finance has constituted a 5 member Group of Ministers (GoM) and a Committee on Exports to look into the difficulties faced on the implementation of GST.
The Group of Ministers (GoM) :-
Purpose : To monitor and resolve IT challenges faced in implementation of Goods and Services Tax (GST). The GoM will be assisted in its work by the Chairman, Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN) and the Chief Executive Officer, GSTN.
- It Chaired by Deputy Chief Minister of Bihar, Shri Sushil Kumar Modi.
- The Members of the GoM are
-Shri Amar Agarwal, Minister for Commercial Taxes, Government of Chhatisgarh
– Shri Krishna Byregowda, Minister for Agriculture, Government of Karnataka
– Dr. T.M. Thomas Isaac, Finance Minister, Government of Kerala
-Shri Etela Rajendar, Finance Minister, Government of Telengana.
Committee on Exports:
Purpose: To look at the issues of export sector and to recommend to the GST Council suitable strategy for helping the export sector in the post-GST scenario.
- It will be chaired by the Revenue Secretary, Hasmukh Adhia
- Its members are
-CBEC member (customs).
-Director General, DGFT;
-Additional Secretary, GST Council;
-Director General, DG Export Promotion from the Central Government
-Commissioners of Commercial Taxes from the States of Gujarat, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal.
India’s first advanced Homoeopathy Virology lab inaugurated in Kolkata
On 12th September 2017, The Union Minister of State for AYUSH (Department of Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy) Mr.Shripad Yesso Naik inaugurated India’s first State of art virology laboratory at Dr.Anjali Chatterjee Regional Research Institute for Homoeopathy in Kolkata.
Advanced Homeopathy Virology lab in Kolkata:
- The cost for establishment of this laboratory is Rs.8 crore.
- This is the first laboratory in India for conducting basic and fundamental research in Homoeopathy for viral diseases like influenza, Japanese encephalitis, dengue, chickunguniya and swine flu.
- New drugs and technologies would also be developed here to rectify newly discovered viral diseases.
- The Minister was satisfied with this laboratory being approved by the Calcutta University to carry out research work of PhD students in Homoeopathy.
- He appreciated the efforts of the National Institute of Homoeopathy (NIH), Kolkata which is providing higher education and training in homoeopathy under the Ministry of AYUSH.
- He also implied that both the institutes should collaborate to provide practical training to students and research scholars in virus research.
About West Bengal:
- Capital – Kolkata
- Official language – Bengali
- Chief Minister – Ms.Mamata Banerjee
- Governor – Mr.Keshari Nath Tripathi
India starts producing world’s most expensive coffee
On 11th September 2017, India has started producing ‘Civet Coffee’ the most expensive coffee in the world, in Karnataka.
- Civet Coffee is made from the feces of a species of cat called ‘Civet Cat’.
- Coffee plantation is done close to the forest.
- Civet cats eat the flesh of the coffee cherries and digest the coffee beans as whole. This induces a flavour into the coffee beans.
- The coffee beans are then collected from the feces of the Civet Cat.
- They are cleaned, processed and Civet Coffee is produced from that.
- Due to the low amount of availability and wastage during processing this coffee is priced very high.
- One kilogram of this coffee sells for Rs.8000 in India and at Rs.20,000 to Rs.25,000 in abroad.
- This is consumed largely in the Middle East and Europe.
- The initiative of producing this coffee has been taken by a Karnataka startup called ‘Coorg Consolidated Commodities’.
- This coffee is named as ‘Ainmane’ by the company.
- Capital – Bengaluru
- Official language – Kannada
- Governor – Mr.Vajubhai Vala
- Chief Minister –Mr.Siddaramaiah
Dr.Harsh Vardhan inaugurates Conference on Sustainable Landscapes & Forest Ecosystems
On 12th September 2017, Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan inaugurated a two-day conference on “Sustainable landscapes and forest ecosystems: Theory to Practice”, in New Delhi.
Conference on Sustainable Landscapes & Forest Ecosystems:
- The Minister insisted on bringing up solutions for increasing the forest cover up to a minimum of 33 % and for the problem of weeds.
- He said that the Government has decided to create an additional carbon sink of 2.5 to 3 billion tons of CO2 equivalent in forests. This would be achieved through afforestation.
- He launched the “Wood is Good” campaign.
- The Partnership for Land Use Science (Forest-Plus) is a joint programme between United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC).
- The aim of Forest-Plus is to improve the capacity of REDD (Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation) in India.
About Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change:
- Headquarters – New Delhi
- Minister – Mr.Harsh Vardhan
Six month ‘cooling off’ period for granting divorce can be waived: Supreme Court
On 12th September 2017, the Supreme Court declared that the 6-month ‘cooling off’ period for granting divorce can be waived, in New Delhi.
About the waiver of 6 month ‘cooling off’ period:
- The Supreme Court declared that the 6 month cooling off period under the Hindu Marriage Act for getting divorce is not mandatory. The local judges can decide about waiving off that period.
- Currently, if a Hindu couple applies for divorce, the couple has to wait for 18 months to get the divorce. Where they have to spend 12 months in separation and the next 6 months is considered as cooling off period.
- The 6 month period can be waived off under the following circumstances:
- The divorce has been applied through mutual consent
- The couple had already lived separately for a minimum of 1 year
- All the efforts to re-unite the couple have failed
- The couple has settled alimony, child custody etc. without any issues
About Supreme Court:
- Location – New Delhi
- Chief Justice of India – Justice Deepak Misra
Govt launches hackathon ‘OpenGovDataHack’ to promote app ideas
The Ministry for Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has launched a nationwide hackathon‘OpenGovDataHack’ to support and showcase potential ideas and talent from inner India.
i.The National Informatics Centre (NIC) and the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) have collaborated to conduct the hackathon at Jaipur, Chennai, Noida, Bhubaneswar, Patna, Hyderabad and Surat.
ii.The hackathon aims to enable participants develop their ideas into apps and infographics primarily by the use of open government data.
iii.The themes of ideas include drinking water and sanitation, transport, education, health after which it can be evaluated by a jury and are selected for prizes and support or funding.
iv.Workshops will be organised variously for sensitisation, identifying problem statements and data gathering across the country in which students, start-ups, academics, and industry can participate.
Halimah Yacob declared as the first female President of Singapore
The first female President of Singapore:
- Ms. Halimah Yacob will take power as Singapore’s 8th President on 14th September 2017.
- She is 63 year old. She was the first female Speaker of Parliament in 2013, in Singapore.
- Out of the three presidential candidates only she was given certificate of eligibility for the post.
- She has raised her voice for women’s rights, senior citizens and mental health issues.
- She has been a patron to associations like Club HEAL and Singapore Muslim Women’s Association.
- Capital – Singapore
- Currency – Singapore dollar
- Official language – English, Malay, Huayu, Mandarin & Tamil
- President – Ms.Halimah Yacob
- Prime Minister – Mr.Lee Hsien Loong
UN imposes tough sanctions on North Korea
On 12th September 2017, The UN Security Council imposed strong sanctions on North Korea, to ban its textile exports and reduce fuel provided to it, in Washington.
Sanctions on North Korea:
- The UN Security Council unanimously voted to declare sanctions on North Korea to ban its textile exports and reduce 30 % of oil supplied to it.
- This sanction was declared as a result of North Korea’s sixth and largest nuclear test on September 2017.
- UN member states are now ordered to block imports of textiles from North Korea.
- Fuel supply to North Korea has been reduced by 2 million barrels a year.
- The only way for North Korea to escape from this political isolation is to stop destructive nuclear testing.
About North Korea:
- Capital – Pyongyang
- Currency – North Korean won
- Official language – Korean
- Supreme Leader – Mr.Kim Jong-un
Banking & Finance
RBI to introduce Rs 100 Coin to mark MG Ramachandran birth centenary
RBI will introduce Rs 100 coins to mark the birth centenary of MG Ramachandran. He was the AIADMK founder and former chief minister of Tamil Nadu.
i.The Rs 100 coin will be 44 millimeter in diameter, with a metal composition of silver (50%), copper (40%), nickel (5%) and zinc (5%).
ii.The standard weight of Rs 100 coin will be 35 grams while that of Rs 5 coin will be 6 grams.
iii.The obverse of the Rs 100 coin will bear “Lion Capitol of Ashoka Pillar” in the centre, with the legend “Satyamev Jayate” inscribed below in Devnagari.
iv.The government will also introduce new Rs 5 coin, which will be 23 millimeter in diameter and made of copper (75%), zinc (20%) and nickel (5%).
v.The reverse of the Rs 100 coin shall bear the portrait of MG Ramachandran in the centre.
vi. It hasinscription of Ramachandran in Devnagarion upper periphery and Dr MG Ramachandran birth centenary in English on the lower periphery of the coin.
vii.It shall also bear the Rupee symbol and denominational value Rs 100 in international numerals below the Lion Capitol.
Paytm Payments Bank partners with NPCI for RuPay digital card
Paytm Payments Bank (PPB) has partnered with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) tolaunch a RuPay-powered digital debit card announced on 12th of Sept. 2017.
i.Through the PPB Digital debit card customers will now be able to transact at all merchants who accept credit and debit cards.
ii.The RuPay-powered digital debit card will be issued to all customers who have opened their bank accounts with PPB.
iii.Existing Paytm users need to complete a KYC process to become an account holder with PPB.
iv.The debit card will have the facility to come with a free insurance cover of up to Rs. 2 lakh in the case of death or permanent total disability.
v.Customers will now be able to pay across all online platforms with our digital debit card.
vi.PPB is also looking to partner with other full-service banks to offer additional services to its customers and rolling out a full bouquet of services, including term deposits, retail and SME loans.
vii.Paytm owns 51% stake in PPB while One97 Communications which runs Paytm owns the remaining 49%.
About Payments Bank
- Payments banks are a new model of banks conceptualised by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- These banks can accept a restricted deposit, which is currently limited to Rs1 lakh per customer and may be increased further.
- These banks cannot issue loans and credit cards. Both current account and savings accounts can be operated by such banks.
- Payments banks can issue services like ATM cards, debit cards, net-banking and mobile-banking.
- Airtel has launched India’s first live payments bank. Paytm is the second such service to be launched in the country.
Bharti Airtel, SK Telecom of Korea ties up for advanced telecom network in India
Telecom operator Bharti Airtel has announced a partnership with South Korean telecom operator SK Telecom to build the most advanced telecom network in India announced on 13th of Sept. 2017.
i.The companies will work towards building an enabling ecosystem for the introduction of these technologies.
ii.Under the partnership, both the companies will work across several areas including developing bespoke software to improve network experience, leveraging advanced digital tools and building customized tools to improve network planning based on every customer’s device experience.
iii.The companies will also work to evolve standards for 5G and advanced technologies like network functions virtualisation (NFV), software-defined networking (SDN) and Internet of Things (IoT).
iv.It will help in identifying, monitoring and delivering improvements to the network experience on an individual device basis and will be a first in India.
v.SK Telecom has led the development of the global mobile telecommunications industry by launching CDMA (2G), WCDMA (3G) and LTE–A (4G) for the first time in the world.
vi.The company has been offering up to 500 Mbps 4G speed using carrier aggregation technology.
vii.SK Telecom is Korea’s largest telecommunications company with more than 29 million mobile subscribers, which accounts for around 50% of the total market.
Appointments & Resigns
Raj Shah appointed as Principal Deputy Press Secretary in US
US President Donald Trump has appointed Indian-American Raj Shah as Principal Deputy Press Secretary in US announced on 13th Sept. 2017.
i.Shah has served as Deputy Assistant to the President and Deputy Communications Director.
ii.Shah was born and raised in Connecticut and his parents migrated to the US in 1980s.
iii.Shah was Director of Opposition Research in the Republican National Committee before moving to the White House.
iv.Trump has also appointed Hope Hicks as his Communications Director. Hicks previously served as Assistant to the President and Interim Communications Director.
v.Mercedes Schlapp, a Fox News contributor and columnist for The Washington Times, will serve as Assistant to the President and Senior Advisor for Strategic Communications.
vi.Steven Cheung has appointed as Director of Strategic Response. He previously served as Special Assistant to the President and Assistant Communications Director.
Awards & Recognition
74th Venice Film Festival Awards 2017
Details of the awards :
1 – Golden Lion – The Shape of Water, directed by Guillermo del Toro
2 – Grand Jury Prize – Foxtrot, directed by Samuel Maoz
3 – Silver Lion – Best Director Xavier Legrand, Jusqu’à la Garde
4 – Volpi Cup – Best Actress Charlotte Rampling, Hannah
5 – Volpi Cup – Best Actor Kamel El Basha, The Insult
6 – Best Screenplay – Martin McDonagh, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri…………Click here for more detail
Raghunandan Money honoured with Krishi Pragati Award 2017 by NCDEX
Krishi Pragati Award 2017:
- The Krishi Pragati Award 2017 has been awarded to appreciate the outstanding contribution made by Raghunandan Industries in the area of Agricultural Commodities.
- Mr.Ram Vilas Paswan, Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution and Mr.Arjun Ram Meghwal, Union Minister of State for Finance & Corporate Affairs gave away the award to Mr.Saurabh Mittal, Founder & MD of Raghunandan Money.
- Raghunandan Industries, is a part of Raghunandan Money Group.
- It offers commodities broking services.
- Raghunandan Money provides financial services such as demat, equity, derivatives, currency trading, mutual funds, life insurance, general insurance etc.
- National Commodity & Derivatives Exchange Limited
- Headquarters – Mumbai
- MD & CEO – Mr.Samir Shah
HDFC Bank becomes the second most valuable company on BSE
On 12th September 2017, HDFC Bank became the second most valuable company in BSE (Bombay Stock Exchange), in India, in terms of market capitalisation.
HDFC as the second most valuable company:
- Reliance Industries is in the 1st place currently.
- HDFC has replaced TCS in the 2nd position now.
- HDFC and TCS were in close competition. During the close of trade on 12th September 2017, HDFC’s share had higher value than TCS.
- Market value of HDFC has increased in value by 53 % this year.
- HDFC’s performance improvement in retail banking has helped it climb up the ladder.
- Housing Development Financial Corporation
- Private Bank
- Headquarters – Mumbai
- MD – Mr.Aditya Puri
Jawaharlal Nehru Port Container Terminal (JNPCT) wins “Container Terminal of the Year” Award 2017
On 13th September 2017, Jawaharlal Nehru Port Container Terminal (JNPCT) was awarded “Container Terminal of the Year” Award, in Mumbai.
Container Terminal of the Year:
- JNPCT was given the award in ‘The Gateway Awards 2017’ held at Mumbai.
- This is the 10th edition of the Gateway Awards.
- The award was received by Mr.Neeraj Bansal, Deputy Chairman of JNPCT.
- The Gateway Awards are given to appreciate best practices, innovation and motivation in the Indian Maritime industry.
- JNPCT was awarded the ‘Container Terminal of the Year’ award for its excellent strategies to reduce congestion, smooth delivery of containers and renovation of infrastructure to carry out trade even in unfavourable conditions.
About Ministry of Shipping:
- Headquarters – New Delhi
- Minister – Mr.Nitin Gadkari
- Ministers of State – Mr.Pon Radhakrishnan, Mr.Mansukh L.Mandaviya
Science & Technology
PayU partners with IRCTC, provides online payment services to IRCTC users
On 11th September 2017, Payment gateway provider PayU announced its collaboration with the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC), in New Delhi.
Partnership between PayU and IRCTC:
- PayU and IRCTC have joined hands to provide users a safe and secure option to make payment for rail tickets booked on the IRCTC website.
- Now PayU is available as a payment option under the Multiple Payment Services or MPS option on the IRCTC website at the payment page.
- While booking ticket, users can click on this option to pay using PayU.
- This would help users to make a safe and secure transaction through various payment options like internet banking, debit/credit card and e-wallet.
- PayU India handles more than Rs.6500 crores worth of digital transactions every month.
- Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation
- Subsidiary of the Indian Railways
- Headquarters – New Delhi
Mouse deer reintroduced into Amrabad Tiger Reserve
On 13th September 2017, a few mouse deer were released into Amrabad Tiger Reserve, near Mannanur, in Mahbubnagar district of Telengana.
Release of Mouse deer into Amrabad Tiger Reserve:
- Eight mouse deer (spotted Chevrotain) were bred at the Nehru Zoological Park, in Hyderabad, by Telengana government.
- These 8 mouse deer were released into the forest.
- That includes 2 males and 6 females.
- The release of these mouse deers into the forest have been made as a move towards improving bio diversity.
- The mouse deer is an endangered species.
- They reduced in number due to poaching activities and the destruction of habitat.
- They usually live in evergreen forests.
- Capital – Hyderabad
- Governor – Mr.E.S.L.Narasimhan
- Chief Minister – Mr.K.Chandrashekar Rao
Zoological Survey of India releases first compendium of animal species in Indian Sundarbans
On 13th September 2017, Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) has released its first compendium named ‘Fauna of Sundarban Biosphere Reserve in Indian Sundarbans’.
About the compendium:
- The compendium has been released in a motive to improve research and exploration activities in Sunderbans.
- The compendium details the fauna of Sunderbans. It contains information about the animal species living there.
- Sunderbans is a part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- It is spread across an area of 9,630 sq. km.
- It consists of 104 islands.
- It is the largest tidal halophytic mangrove forest in the world.
- The compendium has listed 2,626 animal species of Sunderbans. In which there are 50 mammalian species, 356 bird species, 350 fish species and 753 insect species.
About Zoological Survey of India:
- Purpose – Animal Taxonomy & Conservation
- Headquarters – Kolkata
Asian Games gold medalist Priyanka Panwar banned for eight years
On 12th September 2017, Asian Games gold medalist Priyanka Panwar was suspended for eight years after she tested positive for a banned performance enhancing drug, in New Delhi.
About the ban:
- Priyanka Panwar a 29 year old Indian athlete won gold medal in 4x400m women’s relay at the 2014 Asian Games.
- She had tested positive for a banned stimulant during a national inter-state athletics competition in 2016.
- The suspension was announced by suspension by National Anti Doping Agency’s (NADA) disciplinary panel.
- The ban is for eight years with effect from July 2016.
- This might probably end her career.
- Priyanka Panwar already tested positive for a banned drug in 2011 and was put on a ban for 2 years.
- According to the rules of NADA, a person tested positive for drugs for the second time will get a maximum ban of 8 years.
- National Anti Doping Agency
- Purpose – controlling doping among sports persons
- Chief – Mr.Navin Agarwal
LGBT rights activist Edith Windsor passed away
Gay rights activist Edith Windsor, whose same-sex marriage fight led to a landmark US ruling, passed away on 12 September 2017. She was 88.
It was Windsor’s efforts that Supreme Court struck down the Defense of Marriage Act in 2013, granting same-sex married couples federal recognition for the first time.
About Edith Windsor
- Born on 20 June 1929, Edith “Edie” Windsor was an American lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights activist.
- She was the lead plaintiff in the Supreme Court of the United States case United States v. Windsor, which successfully overturned Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act. It was considered a landmark legal victory for the same-sex marriage movement in the United States of America.