Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
The ambitious flagship programme, “Start Up India, Stand Up India” has been launched in Thane by Deepak Ghaisas, who was the first Indian to receive the CFO Asia Award in 2001.
- The programme was initiated at the campus of Vidya Prasarak Mandal, which is an eminent city-based educational institution.
- Ghaisas, currently serving as the Chairman of Gencoval Strategic Services.
The Government of India has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) under the Scheme Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY) with the State of Uttar Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited (UPPCL).
- It aims to supply adequate power at affordable rates and to ensure a sustainable permanent solution of electricity problem.
- Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand have already signed the MoU under UDAY. Now Uttar Pradesh has joined the list.
Union Government forms technical group to monitor Zika virus situation
The Union Health Minister JP Nadda set up a Central monitoring team which constitutes a technical group to monitor the Zika situation.
- The Mosquito-borne Zika virus has created a panic over thousands birth defects. Babies with abnormal condition are born in the region due to the effect of the virus in Latin America.
- Zika virus, carried by the Aedes mosquito transmits dengue and chikunguniya
- Team’s main focus is to prevention and control the spread of the Aedes mosquito that breeds in clean water.
IRCTC announces new rule for online ticket booking
The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) has announced some changes by replaced existing rules in the booking to prevent misuse.
- You can book only two tickets per user-ID in a day from 8 am to 10 am
- Only two tickets per user-ID in a day can book from 10 am to 12 noon
- Maximum six tickets can be booked in a month using one user-ID
- During the first thirty minutes of booking window opens all booking agents will be excluded from booking.
US Agency for International Development’s (USAID) has extends the funds for the TB-free India project. India has the highest number of tuberculosis cases in the world. In India nearly2.2 million TB cases are annually reported.
- Under the Tuberculosis Health Action Learning Initiative (THALI) project, the World Health Partners (WHP) are has been awarded USD 7.5 million for implementing activities in Kolkata.
BANKING & FINANCE
On the sidelines of industry regulator’s warning, PSBs including Mumbai headquartered State Bank of India and Bank of Baroda are creating stricter norms on anti-money laundering (AML) framework for their branches outside India that can stop or detect cash and suspicious transactions.
- Priority areas for creating a separate and stronger anti-money laundering (AML) framework are Europe, United States and high risk regions like Dubai, South Africa, Mauritius and Singapore.
- SBI has induced Deloitte HK to create an AML framework.
Govt revises down 2014/15 GDP growth to 7.2% y/y
The government revised down its annual economic growth for the fiscal year that ended in March 2015 to 7.2% from 7.3%.
- GDP growth rate for 2013-14 has also revised downwards to 6% from earlier estimate of 6.9%.
Dr Reddy’s gets USFDA nod for migraine injection
Dr Reddy’s Laboratories (DRL) has received an approval from the US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) for ZembraceSymTouch injection.
- The injection is a drug device product proposed for the treatment of acute migraine, in the American market.
- This is presented as a prefilled, ready to use, single dose disposable injector and are specifically designed for patients who experience firm migraine incident and for whom a pill may be the right option
- CEO and Co-Chairman of DRL -GV Prasad
- Executive Vice President Propriety Products Group of DRL– Raghav Chari
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Chief Minister of Bihar, Nitish Kumar has been selected for the K Veeramani Award for Social Justice 2015 for his contribution towards social justice as Chief Minister.
- The award will be presented by Periyar International, a Chicago-based voluntary organisation at an award function, the venue of which is yet to be decided.
- The award carries a plaque and a cash prize of Rs 1 lakh.
The most prestigious Prince Mahidol Awards has been awarded to Professor Morton M Mower and Sir Michael Gideon Marmot.Morton M Mower is from the United States and he did his best in the field of medicine, while Sir Michael Gideon Marmot from Britain gives his best in the field of public health.
- The Mahidol award was first given by the King Rama IX Bhumibol Adulyadej in 1992 on the occasion of the 100th birth Anniversary of Prince Mahidol the father of Rama.
Amlendu Tiwari & Om Nagar chosen for Jananpith’s Navlekhan Award
New Hindi writers Amlendu Tiwari and Om Nagar have been selected for the 11th Navlekhan award of the Bharatiya Jnanpith.
- Amlendu Tiwari has been picked up for his novel “Parityakt” while Om Nagar is selected for his non-fictional prose “Nib Ke Cheere Se”.
- The decision has been taken by a selection panel headed by senior writer and journalist Madhusudan Anand and Vishnu Nagar, Govind Prasad and Om Nischal were among other members.
The prize includes Rs 50,000 cash along with a certificate of merit and an idol of Vagdevi. The award is given to first time litterateurs.
Actress Waheeda Rehman honoured with special award
- The Yashwant International Film Festival is a joint venture of Yashwantrao Chavan Pratishthan and Pune Film Foundation.
- Yashwantrao Chavan was the first chief minister of Maharashtra.
During festival 22 films were showcased in the category of Global Cinema, 14 in Kaleidoscope, 6 in Latin America, 6 in Country Focus, 5 in Retrospective, 5 Marathi movies and 7 films of Hector Beveko.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Dr. Kamlesh Kumar Pandey appointed as Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities
Dr. Kamlesh Kumar Pandey is appointed as the Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities (CCPD) for three years by the Union Government.
- He completed his Graduate in Science from University of Allahabad and Medical Graduate from Agra University in 1990.
- Under the Code of Civil Procedure the CCPD is vested with the power of civil court.
- It is consent to take steps to safeguard the rights of persons with disabilities like Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights & Full Participation under PWD Act 1995.
Ten Non-Official Directors appointed in banks
Ten part-time Non-Official Directors (NODs) have been appointed by the government on the board of various public sector banks.
Here is the list of appointees
|Name of Appointee||Bank Name||Bank Headquarter||Bank Tagline|
|Girish Kumar Ahuja & Pushpendra Rai||State Bank of India||Mumbai||With you all the way, Pure Banking Nothing Else, The Nation’s banks on us|
|Amit Chatterjee & G Gopalkrishna||Dena Bank||Mumbai||Trusted Family Bank|
|Archana Ravindrarai Dholakia||Bank of Maharashtra||Pune||One family one bank|
|V V R Sastry & M Bhagavantha Rao||Vijaya Bank||Bangalore||A friend you can bank on|
|Prof Radha R Sharma||Allahabad Bank||Kolkata||A Tradition of Trust|
|Satyanarayana Dash||NABARD||Mumbai||Revitalizing rural India through urban Support|
|Atanu Sen||Punjab and Sind Bank||New Delhi||Where service is a way of life|
- They have been appointed for three years.
J.S. Deepak new Telecom Secretary
- He will be responsible for the May-June sale of spectrum, which is expected to be the country’s biggest auction of airwaves.
About J.S. Deepak:
- 1982 Uttar Pradesh cadre IAS is an IIM Ahmedabad alumnus.
- Deepak, 57 previously served as additional secretary in the Commerce Ministry.
|Name of Appointee||Division|
|Rakesh Garg||Secretary in Minority Affairs Ministry|
|Aruna Sharma||Secretary, Department of electronics and information technology|
|Krishan Kumar Jalan||Secretary, Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises|
|Shobhana K. Pattanayak||Secretary, Department of agriculture, cooperation and farmer’s welfare|
|Avinash K. Srivastava||Secretary, Ministry of food processing|
|Vinod Agrawal||Secretary, Department of empowerment of persons with disabilities|
|Shyam S. Agarwal||Secretary, Ministry of tribal affairs|
|Arun Jha||Secretary of National Commission for Scheduled Castes (NCSC)|
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Apple takeover educational startup Learnsprout
Apple Inc. has acquired San Francisco-based education-technology startup LearnSprout, which creates software for schools and teachers to track students’ performance.
- Apple is working on education tools for the iPad, which will allow students to see interactive lessons, track their progress and share tablet computers with peers.
LearnSprout software is used by over 2,500 school districts across the U.S. Its software can be used to track patterns in categories like health and attendance.
- Apple CEO – Tim Cook
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Puducherry Lt Governor AK Singh launches MITRA app
MITRA (Mobile Initiated Tracking and Rescue application), a mobile application has been launched by Puducherry Lt Governor AK Singh to ensure safety and security of women, children and the elderly during emergency.
- The MITRA is a smart phone based app that provides the facility to contact the police for immediate help in emergency.
- No internet connectivity is require and presently it is available only in smart phones
- MITRA app has been developed by Puducherry Police department in association with National Informatics Centre.
- Chief Minister of Puducherry– N Rangasamy
“Indian Customs – Guide to Travellers” app: A rulebook to people
Customs Department has initiated first-of-its-kind mobile application in the world dubbed “Indian Customs – Guide to Travellers” to inform people about all Indian customs rules including those related to import of pets and goods.
- It has been developed by IRS officer Sandeep Kumar Rawal, currently serving as oint Director, Regional Training Institute of National Academy of Customs Excise and Narcotics (NACEN), Bhopal
The app is able to work in offline mode provides contact details of customs officers at major Indian airports.
Graham Xavier Ford accredited as chief coach of Sri Lanka
Graham Xavier Ford designated as the chief coach of the Sri Lankan cricket team for his second stint. He will succeed Marvan Atapattu. Earlier he was appointed in January 2012.
About Graham Xavier Ford: 1960 born is a South African first class cricketer before turning his career to be a cricket coach.
- He is a qualified rugby union referee and worked as director of cricket at Kent County Cricket Club, as head coach of Surrey County Cricket Club, as coach of Dolphins Cricket team.
The former Army Chief General and a former Governor of Jammu & Kashmir, Nagaland, Manipur and Tripura, K.V. Krishna Rao died at military hospital in New Delhi. He was 92.
Jefferson Airplane’s Paul Kantner dies at 74
- Paul Lorin Kantner was an American guitarist, singer and songwriter, known for co-founding Jefferson Airplane, a leading psychedelic rock band of the counterculture era, and its more commercial spin-off band Jefferson Starship. He was born in San Francisco, California.