Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
Union Tourism Ministry has consented fund under “Swadesh Darshan scheme”, to create infrastructure for “Beating Retreat” ceremony at Agartala-Akhaura border with Bangladesh, similar to that at Wagah in Punjab.
- There were an oultay of Rs 99 crore for the development of tourist spots in Tripura, which was funded by the government. Out of which Rs 18 crore was allocated to create infrastructure at the Agartala-Akhaura border.
- Among others, mini stadium and roads will also be created.
SEEMA DARSHAN an initiative to provide an opportunity for the children to experience the border environment and to encourage patriotism and nationalism among the students.
- It aims to provide the students the experience of the current security environment in the border areas.
Giriputrika Kalyana Pathakam Scheme launched by AP Government
Andhra Pradesh Government has launched Giriputrika Kalyana Pathakam Scheme to support the tribal women in their quest for livelihood. The scheme seeks to reduce rampant infant mortality and child marriages among tribal people.
Highlights of Scheme:
- The scheme is designed to provide a onetime financial assistance of 50,000 rupees to each tribal woman who gets married.
- The amount will be directly disbursed to the bank accounts of the beneficiary through District Tribal Welfare Office.
India’s largest and tallest Tricolour unfurls in Ranchi
On the birth anniversary of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, the tallest and largest Indian national flag was hoisted in Ranchi.
- The flag was unfurled by defence minister Manohar Parrikar, which measures 99×66 feet and is pegged atop a flag post 293 feet high.
- The flag post is situated at the Pahari temple (earlier known as Phansi Tongri), located atop the 250-foot-high Pahadi Hill. It was a place where freedom fighters were hung by the British during the independence movement.
The project took more than 120 workers and 40 days to put up the flag post with an estimated cost of Rs 1.25 crore, of which Rs 44 lakh was spent on the flag alone.
PM Modi publicized 100 secret files relating to Subhash Chandra Bose
On the 119th birth anniversary of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, PM Modi publicized the 100 secret files on the freedom fighter for the first time whose disappearance 70 years ago remains a mystery.
- The public digital copies of the files were on the display at Delhi’s National Archives of India (NAI).
Still there is not proved reason behind death or killing of Netaji. Here are some conclusions of the inquiries:
- Two commissions had concluded that Netaji died in a plane crash in Taipei on August 18, 1945.
- According to another commission – the leader fled to the Soviet Union to continue to fight for India’s independence but was killed.
- One more conclusion says that he returned to India as an ascetic, “Gumnami Baba” and continued to live in Uttar Pradesh’s Faizabad till 1985.
World Economic Forum (WEF) has accredited World Bank President Jim Yong Kim and Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff to its Board of Trustees.
- WEF’s board, which acts as a guardian of its independence and impartiality, include international business persons including Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani and PepsiCo chief Indra Nooyi.
In accordance with the Asia Pacific 2016 Wealth Report, by New World Wealth, India’s National capital New Delhi and Financial capital Mumbai have been listed among the top Asia Pacific cities for HNIs (high net worth individuals).
- The list has been topped by Tokyo for the ultra-rich with 2, 64,000 millionaires while Mumbai has been ranked at 12th position with 41,200 millionaires and Delhi was positioned at 20th with 20,600 millionaires.
High Net worth Individuals or HNWIs (millionaires) were defined as those individuals with net assets of USD 1 million or more.
India and Bahrain signed an agreement to strengthen their ties in key areas like trade and counter-terrorism. The India-Arab League Cooperation Forum meeting was held in Bahrain. The meeting was held between the Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Bahrain’s Foreign Minister Khalid bin Ahmed Al Khalifa.
Japan lifted nuclear sanctions on Iran
Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga approved the lifting of sanctions on Iran. This move will allow Japanese companies to pursue investment in Iran’s oil and gas industry.
- The United Nations atomic energy agency confirmed the sanctions on 16 January 2016 that Tehran has fully taken steps to control its disputed nuclear programme.
- Now Japanese business will also be to able make new investments in Iran’s oil and gas sector.
- After this sanction an investment agreement between Tehran and Tokyo is expected to be signed.
BANKING & FINANCE
Govt. mobilises 900 kg of gold under monetisation scheme
The government has announced that under the monetisation scheme, so far 900 kg of idle household and temple gold has been mobilized.
- Under the monetisation scheme, banks were authorised to collect gold for up to 15 years to auction them off or lend to jewellers from time to time.
- Depositors will earn up to 50% interest per annum, a rate lower than savings bank deposits.
Currently, there are 46 assaying and Hallmarking Centres which are qualified to act as Collection and Purity Testing Centres (CPTC) for handling gold under the gold monetisation scheme.
Indian Shuttler P V Sindhu has clinched the $120,000 Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold title by defeating Scotland’s Kristy Gilmour by 21-15 21-9 in a 32-minute clash.
- The tournament was held at the SPICE Indoor Stadium in Penang, Malaysia from 19–24 January 2016.
- This is her second Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold title. Earlier she won it in 2013.
Chanderpaul ends 22-year international career
- He is Former captain from Guyana.
- He is a Coarse and stubborn left-handed batsman.
- First test was against England in March 1994
- Final Test was also against England in Barbados last May where the West Indies won by five wickets.
- He made 8,778 one-day international runs with 11 centuries and 11867 runs in test
- He is currently the 7th highest run scorer.
Sourav Kothari pockets National Billiards title
- He has won his 2nd National Billiards title. Earlier he had won it in 2014.
The finalists have booked their berth for the Asian Billiards in Colombo starting March 1.
Rohit Sharma claims career-best fifth spot in ICC batting chart
- He registered 441 runs in the five matches of the series and become Man of the Series
- He earned 59 points for his performances and he is now 64 points behind Virat Kohli.
- India, after winning the Sydney ODI, has retained second position.
Ms Nirmala Gajwani the former Deputy speaker of Gujarat Assembly passed away on 21 January 2016 in Rajkot, Gujarat. She was a reputed social worker and one of the chief illuminations of the Sindhi community in the state.
National Girl Child Day
24th of January is celebrated as the National girl child day. The Ministry of Women and Child Development has taken various steps at national and state level to improve the girl child status through a range of schemes.
- It is celebrated to encourage the girl’s situation in the society.
- To offer more supports and new opportunities to the girls in the country.
- To remove different types of social discrimination and exploitation with the girls.
- To aware them that they have equal rights of the good education, nutrition and health care.