We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 22 June 2021, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2021 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs June 2021 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2021 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
Inaugural edition of Indian Navy-European Union Naval Force Exercise held at Gulf of Aden
- From the Indian side, Indian Naval Ship Trikand participated in the exercise. From the European side a total of 5 warships participated in the exercise. They are Italian Navy Ship ITS carabiniere, Spanish Navy Ship ESPS Navarra, and two French Navy Ship FS Tonnerre and FS Surcouf.
- The exercise aims to enhance and hone their war-fighting skills to promote peace, security and stability in the maritime domain.
- Simultaneously, a virtual ‘Information sharing Exercise’ was conducted between Indian Navy’s Information Fusion Centre for Indian Ocean Region and the Maritime Security Centre-Horn of Africa.
About Indian Navy
Chief of Naval Staff (CNS) – Admiral Karambir Singh
Integrated Headquarters of Ministry of Defence (Navy) – New Delhi
About European Union Naval Force (EU NAVFOR)
Vice Admiral – Jose M. Nunez Torrente
Operational Headquarters – Rota, Spain
>>Read Full News
India spent INR 2, 386 crores on Oral Cancer treatment in 2020: Tata’s 1st of its kind Study
- The amount of INR 2, 386 crore is a significant portion of healthcare budget allocation that India made in 2019-20, towards a single disease.
- Without any inflation in costs, it will result in an INR 23, 724 crore economic burden on India over the next ten years.
- Tata’s cost analysis study is the 1st in India which aims to determine direct healthcare costs of oral cancer in India. It will help policymakers to make appropriate allocation of resources towards cancer.
- Dr Arjun Singh, Research Fellow at Tata Memorial Hospital is the lead author of the study.
i.Prevention & Early detection strategies must be key mitigation strategies. Early detection strategies can save upto almost INR 250 crore annually for the government.
ii.50% of oral cancer patients in India die within a year of diagnosis and are aged between 30-50 years, leading to a huge productivity loss for India. The annual cost of treatment on oral cancer patients comes to more than INR 200 crore.
In India, Oral Cavity cancer is most common among men. It accounted for almost a third of the global incidence in 2020.
About Tata Memorial Centre
It is an Grant-in-Aid Institution under Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India
Director – Dr. R. A. Badwe
Location – Mumbai, Maharashtra
>>Read Full News
IIT Bombay hosts Conference of BRICS Network Universities
Note – IIT Bombay is the lead institution of India for the BRICS Network University.
i.All the 5 BRICS countries will discuss on various aspects of Electric Mobility (e-Mobility) like – Traffic Management, Hydrogen technology, Hybrid vehicles, Lithium-ion batteries to boost Electric Vehicles (e-Vehicles) usage.
ii.Nitin Gadkari, Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, addressed the inaugural session of the conference, which saw the participation of over 100 students, researchers and faculty from the BRICS Network Universities of the 5-BRICS member countries
iii.The conference comes at the backdrop of the upcoming Meeting of BRICS Education Ministers on 6th July.
iv.BRICS Network University is a union of higher education institutions of the five BRICS member countries, formed with the objective of enhancing educational cooperation in general, and especially in the realm of research and innovation.
Members – Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa
2021 Chair – India
1st BRICS Summit took place in 2009 in Russia
New Development Bank also known as the BRICS Development Bank is headquartered at Shanghai, China.
PM Modi addresses 5th edition of Viva Technology 2021
- It is jointly organized by Publicis Groupe – a advertising and marketing company & Les Echos, a leading French media group.
- The event brings together stakeholders in technology innovation and the startup ecosystem. It has been held annually since 2016.
- Other prominent speakers in the event were Emmanuel Macron, President of France; Pedro Sanchez, Prime Minister of Spain; Tim Cook, CEO of Apple; Mark Zuckerberg, Chairman & CEO of Facebook and many others.
Key Points from PM’s Address
i.PM Modi highlighted the emerging cooperation between India & France in areas like technology & digital. He highlighted the role of Infosys in providing technical support for the 2021 French Open Tennis Tournament.
ii.He invited the world to invest in India based on 5 pillars of Talen, Market, Capital, Eco-system and, Culture of openness.
About Publicis Groupe
Chairman & CEO – Arthur Sadoun
Headquarters – Paris, France
About Les Echos
Director – Henri Gibier
Headquarters – Paris, France
>>Read Full News
UNCTAD Report: India 5th Largest recipient of FDI inflows, US Tops
- Global FDI inflows declined to USD 1 Trillion in 2020 (35% decline) compared to USD 1.5 trillion in 2019 due to pandemic.
- India’s FDI inflow has increased to USD 64 billion in 2020 from USD 51 billion in 2019 (37% increase) due to acquisition in the Information & Communication Technology (ICT) industry.
- India was ranked 8th in the UNCTAD’s 2020 Report based on its FDI Inflows.
Countries with Largest FDI Outflows
- Countries with Largest FDI outflows are China (133 billion), Luxembourg (127 billion) & Japan (116 billion). India was ranked 18th with USD 12 billion (compared to USD 13 billion in 2019).
FDI Inflows in 2020
|5||India||USD 64 billion|
|1||US||USD 156 billion|
|2||China||USD 149 billion|
|3||Hong Kong, China||USD 119 billion|
FDI Outflows in 2020
|18||India||USD 12 billion|
|1||China||USD 133 billion|
|2||Luxembourg||USD 127 billion|
|3||Japan||USD 116 billion|
>>Read Full News
BANKING & FINANCE
Union Bank of India Enters into MoU with NSIC to Support MSMEs
- Under the MoU, the NSIC branch offices that are also operating as Finance Facilitation Centre (FFC) will support the MSMEs to obtain their loan requirements from the Union Bank of India.
- The agreement was signed by P K Das, FGM-Delhi on behalf of Union Bank of India and P R Kumar CGM, NSIC.
About NSIC Bank Credit Facilitation Scheme:
i.Under this scheme, NSIC is entering into MoUs with various Nationalized and Private Sector Banks and arrange credit support (fund or non-fund based limits) from banks to meet the credit requirements of MSME units
ii.Features of the scheme:
- Facilitates credit to MSMEs through various public and private sector banks.
- Provides an option for MSMEs to apply for a new bank or switch over to a different bank.
- Helps the MSMEs in completing documentation and thereafter submitting it to the bank.
- Helps the MSMEs to get the liberal rate of interest from the banks under the Performance and Credit rating scheme of the Ministry of MSME.
- No fee is charged from the MSME unit for applying for a loan under this scheme.
About Union Bank of India (UBI):
Establishment – November 11, 1919
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
MD & CEO –Rajkiran Rai G.
>>Read Full News
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
India’s Retail Inflation Increased to 6.3% in May 2021
Retail inflation of India was increased to 6.3 percent in May 2021, breaching the upper limit of the Reserve Bank of India’s inflation target of 2 to 6 percent for the 1st time in 6 months due to a rise in food and fuel prices.
- Wholesale price inflation also increased to an 11-year-high of 12.94 percent in May 2021. As per the National Statistical Office data, food inflation increased to 5 percent in May 2021 from 2 percent in April 2021.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
KK Shailaja Awarded CEU Open Society Prize 2021
- She has recognized especially for her determined leadership and community-based public health work, saving lives during COVID-19.
About CEU’s Open Society Prize:
i.It is the highest civilian recognition by CEU, it is awarded annually to an outstanding individual/organization’s achievements that have contributed to the creation of an open society.
ii.It was instituted and 1st awarded in 1994, to philosopher Karl Popper, whose book The Open Society and Its Enemies (1945) presented a philosophy of tolerance, openness and democratic values.
About Central European University’s (CEU):
Establishment – 1991
President – Michael Ignatieff
>>Read Full News
Prof. Shailesh Ganpule from IIT Roorkee receives “NSG Counter-IED & Counter-Terrorism Innovator Award 2021”
Prof. Shailesh Ganpule from the Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Department (MIED) of IIT Roorkee was conferred with the National Security Guard (NSG) Counter – Improvised Explosive Device (IED) & Counter Terrorism Innovator Award 2021 at NSG Campus Manesar, Haryana. He was awarded for designing a Blast-Resistant helmet for military personnel.
i.This helmet is designed specially to protect military personnels from head injuries caused by IED-induced blast waves.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
SEBI Reconstituted its Takeover Panel: Appointed N Venkatram as New Member
- Takeover Panel looks into the applications that are seeking exemption from the mandatory open offer that an acquirer needs to make to minority shareholders.
Current Takeover Panel:
|1.||Justice N. K. Sodhi||Former Chief Justice of High Courts of Karnataka & Kerala and Former Presiding Officer of the Securities Appellate Tribunal||Chairman|
|Former Advocate General, Maharashtra||Member|
|3.||Thomas Mathew T.||Former Chairman of Life Insurance Corporation of India||Member|
|4.||N. Venkatram||MD & CEO, Deloitte India||Member|
About Securities and Exchange Board of India(SEBI):
Establishment – On April 12, 1992, in accordance with the SEBI Act, 1992.
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
>>Read Full News
Iranian Chief Justice Ebrahim Raisi Won Iran Presidential Election
Iranian Chief justice Ebrahim Raisi became the President-elect of Iran,after winning the 2021 Iranian presidential election.He will succeed Hassan Rouhani.
- This election appeared to see the lowest turnout in the Islamic Republic’s history.
- Ebrahim Raisi won 17.9 million votes overall, nearly 62% of the total 28.9 million casted.
About Ebrahim Raisi:
i.Ebrahim Raisi is currently serving as the Chief Justice of Iran.
ii.He has also served in several positions in Iran’s judicial system, such as Deputy Chief Justice, Attorney General and Prosecutor general of Iran.
iii.He was one of the four people in the prosecution committee popularly known as the Death Committee, which was responsible for the execution of thousands of political prisoners in Iran in 1988.
iv.He will be the first serving Iranian president sanctioned by the U.S. government even before entering office.
Supreme leader: Ali Khamenei
Currency: Iranian rial
Montek Ahluwalia Became Member of World Bank-IMF HLAG on Sustainable and Inclusive Recovery and Growth
i.To overcome COVID-19 and climate change, the World Bank Group and IMF launched HLAG on Sustainable and Inclusive Recovery and Growth on June 15, 2021, to help secure a strong recovery and set a path for green, resilient, and inclusive development over the coming decade
ii.HLAG will be jointly led by Mari Pangestu, Managing Director for Development Policy and Partnerships, World Bank; Ceyla Pazarbasioglu, Director, Strategy, Policy and Review Department, International Monetary Fund; and Lord Nicholas Stern of the London School of Economics.
About World Bank:
Headquarters – Washington DC, USA
Member countries – 189
President – David R. Malpass (13th President)
>>Read Full News
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
China launches Shenzhou-12 Human Space Mission with 3-Astronauts
i.The three men to be inducted in the mission are Nie Haisheng, Liu Boming and Tang Hongbo.They will spend three months aboard the Tianhe module some 380km (236 miles) above the Earth.
ii.It should be noted that the International Space Station (ISS) launched in 1998 is set to be decommissioned in 2024.
Stygarctus Keralensis: Newly Discovered Tardigrade Species Named After Kerala
- They are the first taxonomically described marine tardigrade from Indian waters.
- This species was discovered by a research team which consisted of Vishnudattan N.K., Jayachandran P.R., S. Bijoy Nandan, Cochin University of Science and Technology and J.G. Hansen, Copenhagen University.
- Their findings have been published in Zootaxa.
Note – Stygarctus is a genus of tardigrades of family Stygarctidae. It was named in 1951 by Erich Schulz. Greek Styx and arktos.
i.Tardigrades are small species which are commonly called ‘water bears’ and ‘moss piglets’. They are so tiny that they require high-end microscopes to study them.
ii.This new tardigrade species belongs to genus Stygarctus.
iii.They grow up to the length of 130 micrometers (0.13 mm) and are found on mountain tops as well as deep sea.
iv.They are also the hardest animals on Earth despite their size.They have survived five mass extinctions.
v.They get involved in a curious process dealing with environmental stress called ‘cryptobiosis’ which brings their metabolic activities to reversible standstill.
F1: Red Bull’s Max Verstappen wins 2021 French GP
- Mercedes’ driver Lewis Hamilton (Britain) finished 2nd, while Red Bull Racing Honda’s Sergio Perez (Mexico) finished 3rd in the race.
- Max Verstappen leads the 2021 F1 Drivers Championship by 13 points. He is followed by Lewis Hamilton.
- The F1 Championships are organised by Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA).
About Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA)
President – Jean Todt
Headquarters – Paris, France
Chess:India’s D.Gukesh wins Gelfand Challenge
World’s second youngest Grandmaster D.Gukesh of India won the $15,000 Gelfand Challenge chess title after winning all four rounds and finishing at the top of the table.
- Along with it, he also won a ‘wild card’ for the elite Meltwaters Champions Chess Tour.
- Both Indians Gukesh and Praggnanandhaa aggregated 14 points from 19 rounds.But Gukesh took the title due to his 17th-round win over Praggnanandhaa.
DPIIT Secretary Guruprasad Mohapatra Passed Away
- He has been working as DPIIT secretary since 2019.
About Guruprasad Mohapatra:
i.Guruprasad Mohapatra is a 1986 batch IAS officer of Gujarat cadre.
ii.He served as chairman of Airports Authority of India (AAI) before becoming DPIIT Secretary.
iii.He had also served as joint secretary in the Department of Commerce, Government of India where he worked for the promotion of Special Economic Zones (SEZs), Public Procurement and Project Exports (Financing & Insurance).
iv.He had also been the commissioner of the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation.
v.He played an important role in developing several urban projects like the Sabarmati riverfront, Bus rapid transit system, Kankaria lakefront and heritage promotion in Gujarat.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Tahira Kashyap Khurrana Authored New Book ‘The 7 Sins Of Being A Mother’
- It will be published by Juggernaut Books.
- This is her fifth book overall and the second book she penned in the pandemic.
About Tahira Kashyap Khurrana:
i.Tahira Kashyap Khurrana is an author, filmmaker and influencer who has been advocating for women’s empowerment through various means.
ii.Her first book written during the coronavirus-induced lockdown is “12 Commandments of Being A Woman”.
iii.The writer has also penned books like Cracking The Code: My Journey in Bollywood and Souled Out.
iv.Apart from Books,She has also directed a segment in Netflix anthology titled “Feels Like Ishq” and has also written and directed a short film named “Pinni”.
World Refugee Day 2021 – June 20
The theme of World Refugee Day 2021 is “Together we heal, learn and shine”.
i.The United Nations General Assembly(UNGA) adopted the resolution A/RES/55/76 on 4th December 2000 and proclaimed the 20th June of every year as World Refugee Day from 2001.
ii.The Day was first observed on 20th June 2001 to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees.
About United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees(UNHCR):
High Commissioner– Filippo Grandi
Headquarters– Geneva, Switzerland
Created in 1950
>>Read Full News
International Day of the Celebration of the Solstice 2021 – 21 June
June 21 is also known as “Summer Solstice”.
The United Nations General Assembly(UNGA) adopted the resolution A/RES/73/300 on 20th June 2019 and proclaimed the 21st June of every year as the International Day of the Celebration of the Solstice in its different manifestations.
>>Read Full News
World Hydrography Day 2021 – 21 June
World Hydrography Day annually celebrates the works and contribution of the Hydrographers.
The year 2021 also marks the 100th anniversary of the formation of the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO).
The theme of World Hydrography Day 2021 is “One Hundred Years Of International Cooperation In Hydrography”.
i.In 2005, World Hydrography Day was approved and implemented by the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) as an annual observance.
ii.The United Nations General Assembly(UNGA) adopted the resolution A/RES/60/30 on “Ocean and the Law of the Sea” and welcomed the adoption of the World Hydrography Day by the IHO.
Why June 21?
June 21 marks the anniversary of the founding of the International Hydrographic Organization in 1921.
About International Hydrographic Organization (IHO):
Chair of the IHO Council– Dr. Geneviève Béchard (Canada)
Established in 1921
>>Read Full News
World Music Day 2021 – June 21
The day is celebrated across the globe by various organisations through virtual concerts, and competitions.
i.Fête de la Musique (World Music Day) was launched on June 21 1982, the day of the summer solstice, a pagan night on which the Fete de St Jean is also widely celebrated throughout France.
ii.The day was founded by France’s Minister of Culture, Jack Lang and Maurice Fleuret a French composer, music journalist, radio producer, arts administrator, and festival organiser in Paris in 1982.
iii.By 1985, the concept of the World Music Day was adopted by more than 120 countries across the five continents.
International Day of Yoga observed on June 21
United Nations (UN) International Day of Yoga (IDY) is annually celebrated on June 21 all over the world.This year 2021 marks 7th International Day of Yoga.The day aims to raise awareness and promote the benefits of practicing yoga worldwide.
- The theme of IDY 2021 is ‘Yoga for well-being’.
- The 1st IDY was celebrated on 21st June 2015.
- The UN General Assembly (UNGA) declared June 21st as International Day of Yoga in 2014 by resolution 69/131. The proposal for establishing an International Day for Yoga was proposed by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during UNGA’s 69th session.
- PM Modi launched the M-Yoga app in collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). It will show videos on yoga training based on a common protocol in different languages for people across the world.
- Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Dr Harsh Vardhan addressed the inaugural ceremony of Global Yoga Conference 2021 organised by ‘Mokshayatan Yog Sansthan’ with the Ministry of AYUSH & Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR).
- For the 1st time, India Post issued a special pictorial cancellation stamp to mark the 7th International Day of Yoga. A cancellation stamp is defined as a postal marking which is used to deface a stamp to prevent its reuse.
About World Health Organization (WHO)
Director General – Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland
>>Read Full News
Punjab Sports & Youth Minister Rana Gurmit Singh Sodhi Launched Khedo Punjab Mobile App
- This is the first mobile app launched by the Sports Department of Punjab.
- The app will be available on both android and iOS platforms.
Features of Khedo Punjab:
i.Khedo Punjab will enable the current sportspersons and the budding players to register online and choose the game of their interest and identify their International, National and State goals.
ii.Through this digital platform the players can locate the game wise coaching centres and wings across the various regions of Punjab.
iii.The digital platform will also facilitate financial and administrative control.
Chief Minister– Captain Amarinder Singh
Festivals– Baisakhi, Hola Mohalla, Lohri, Basant Panchami
Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik Launched Scheme for COVID-19 Orphan Children – ‘Ashirbad’
- Objective: For in-situ rehabilitation and continuation of orphan children’s lives in a similar family-based non-institutional socio-cultural environment.
- The beneficiaries of the scheme are divided into 3 categories viz, Children who have been orphaned, who have to move to welfare homes for want of a caretaker, and who have lost their earning parent.
Benefits of the Scheme Ashirbad:
i.The state government plans to provide Rs 2,500 per month for every kid who has been orphaned due to the loss of one or both parents.
- The amount will be transferred to the bank accounts of guardians or caretakers of the beneficiaries until they attain 18 years.
ii.An additional amount of Rs 1,000 will be allotted every month for the children who have to shift to childcare institutions in the absence of a caretaker (till the child attains 18 years or till adoption).
iii.A child, who has lost one of the parents and continues to live with the remaining parent will get Rs 1,500 per month in the account of remaining parents or child concerned till he/she attains 18 years. If the child is surrendered or placed on adoption, the financial support will be discontinued.
iv.The mother of the child will be provided widow pension under Madhu Babu Pension Yojana while such a child will also avail benefit like coverage under state health assurance scheme, better education and food security schemes.
v.The children could also avail of benefits under, state’s Green Passage scheme – for Higher education, Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana, national or state food security schemes – for food and free medical services.
vi.The Child Welfare Committee (CWC) is taking steps for the protection of assets and other properties of such children.
Note – The state made the scheme not applicable for kids who have been adopted.
Ramsar Sites– Bhitarkanika Mangroves, Chilika Lake
National Parks – Bhitarkanika National Park, Simlipal National Park
NickNames – Temple City of India – Bhubaneswar, Sports Capital of India – Bhubaneswar, the Silver City of India – Cuttack
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|S.no||Current Affairs 22 June 2021|
|1||Inaugural edition of Indian Navy-European Union Naval Force Exercise held at Gulf of Aden|
|2||India spent INR 2, 386 crores on Oral Cancer treatment in 2020: Tata’s 1st of its kind Study|
|3||IIT Bombay hosts Conference of BRICS Network Universities|
|4||PM Modi addresses 5th edition of Viva Technology 2021|
|5||UNCTAD Report: India 5th Largest recipient of FDI inflows, US Tops|
|6||Union Bank of India Enters into MoU with NSIC to Support MSMEs|
|7||India’s Retail Inflation Increased to 6.3% in May 2021|
|8||KK Shailaja Awarded CEU Open Society Prize 2021|
|9||Prof. Shailesh Ganpule from IIT Roorkee receives “NSG Counter-IED & Counter-Terrorism Innovator Award 2021”|
|10||SEBI Reconstituted its Takeover Panel: Appointed N Venkatram as New Member|
|11||Iranian Chief Justice Ebrahim Raisi Won Iran Presidential Election|
|12||Montek Ahluwalia Became Member of World Bank-IMF HLAG on Sustainable and Inclusive Recovery and Growth|
|13||China launches Shenzhou-12 Human Space Mission with 3-Astronauts|
|14||Stygarctus Keralensis: Newly Discovered Tardigrade Species Named After Kerala|
|15||F1: Red Bull’s Max Verstappen wins 2021 French GP|
|16||Chess:India’s D.Gukesh wins Gelfand Challenge|
|17||DPIIT Secretary Guruprasad Mohapatra Passed Away|
|18||Tahira Kashyap Khurrana Authored New Book ‘The 7 Sins Of Being A Mother’|
|19||World Refugee Day 2021 – June 20|
|20||International Day of the Celebration of the Solstice 2021 – 21 June|
|21||World Hydrography Day 2021 – 21 June|
|22||World Music Day 2021 – June 21|
|23||International Day of Yoga observed on June 21|
|24||Punjab Sports & Youth Minister Rana Gurmit Singh Sodhi Launched Khedo Punjab Mobile App|
|25||Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik Launched Scheme for COVID-19 Orphan Children – ‘Ashirbad’|