Our Current Affairs October 2021 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2021 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
RailTel & C-DOT Signed MoU to Boost Expansion of Telecom Services in India
- The MoU signed at the C-DOT, Delhi campus is a part of the “Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav”.
To promote indigenous telecom technologies under “Atmanirbhar Bharat”.
Dr Rajkumar Upadhyay, Executive Director, C-DOT, and Puneet Chawla, Chairman and Managing Director (CMD), RailTel, attended the MoU signing ceremony.
About the MoU:
i.TheMoU will enable both RailTel and C-DOT to leverage their expertise in their respective domain. C-DOT will bring its Research and Development(R&D) expertise in designing state-of-the-art indigenous technologies and RailTel will be deploying these solutions.
ii.Under this MoU, the synergy between C-DOT and RailTel will support providing affordable broadband services to the people in rural areas by reducing the cost of equipment, using C-DOT’s home-grown technology.
i.C-DOT has designed various cutting edge Telecom technologies ranging from Switching, Optical, Wireless, Network Management & Security domains and innovative solutions.
ii.C-DOT has also developed indigenous solutions for Long-Term Evolution (LTE) and Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM).
iii.C-DOT aims to utilise the LTE and DWDM to roll out services for the proposed LTE /4G network for Indian Railways for a high-speed mobile communication corridor.
PM Narendra Modi Launched 7 DPSUs Carved out of OFB; E. R. Sheikh Became 1st Director-General of the Ordnance Directorate
- Background: In September 2021, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) had dissolved the OFB and transferred the OFB’s employees, management, and assets to the 7 DPSUs.
- The 7 DPSUs include – Munitions India Ltd (MIL), Armoured Vehicles Nigam Ltd (AVANI), Gliders India Limited (GIL), Advanced Weapons and Equipment India Ltd (AWE India), Troop Comforts Ltd (TCL), Yantra India Ltd (YIL), and India Optel Ltd (IOL).
Note – The MoD has set a target of achieving a turnover of Rs 1.75 lakh crore in aerospace, defence goods and services by 2024, including exports of Rs 35,000 crore.
-E. R. Sheikh Assumed Charge as 1st Director-General of the Ordnance Directorate
The 1984 batch Indian Ordnance Factory Service (IOFS) officer, E.R. Sheikh assumed charge as 1st Director-General of the Ordnance Directorate (Co-ordination and Services), which is the successor organization of OFB.
About Ministry of Defence (MoD):
Union Minister – Raj Nath Singh (Constituency – Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh)
Minister of State – Ajay Bhatt (Nainital-Udhamsingh Nagar, Uttarakhand)
>>Read Full News
India’s Steel Ministry Signed MoU with Russia’s Minister of Energy for Collaboration in Coking Coal Sector
Ministry of Steel, Government of India(GoI) and the Ministry of Energy of the Russian Federation signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for collaboration in the mining and steel sectors, with special focus on coking coal, in Moscow during the Russian Energy Week(REW)13-15 October 2021.
- The MoU was signed by Ram Chandra Prasad Singh, Union Minister of Steel, India and Nikolay Shulginov, Minister of Energy of the Russian Federation
- The MoU was signed during Ram Chandra Prasad Singh’s 2-day visit to Moscow.
This is a part of India’s National Steel Policy 2017 under which the India aims to reach 300 million tonne steel production by 2030.
Objective: Collaboration in coking coal used in steel making and Research and Development (R&D) in steel sector.
MoU envisages the implementation of joint projects/ commercial activities in coking coal, which includes long-term supplies of high-quality coking coal to India, development of coking coal deposits and logistics development, sharing of experience in coking coal production management, technologies of mining, beneficiation and processing as well as training.
About Russian Energy Week:
i.Russian Energy Week International Forum was established by the Russian Government in 2016 and held since 2017.
ii.The Forum is held to demonstrate the prospects of the Russian fuel and energy industry and unlock the potential of international cooperation in energy
- The forum is organized by the Ministry of Energy of the Russian Federation and the Government of Moscow.
- The Forum is operated by the Roscongress Foundation.
i.India’s large coking coal reserves in Jharia, Jharkhand which continuously suffer from fire is unexplored for mining.
ii.Coking coal accounts for 40% of total cost of production of steel.
iii.India has been annually spending around Rs 75000 crore on import of coking coal.
About Ministry of Steel:
Union Minister– Ram Chandra Prasad Singh(Rajya Sabha- Bihar)
Minister of State– Faggan Singh Kulaste(Constituency- Mandla, Madhya Pradesh)
India Worst-hit in TB elimination – ‘Global TB report’ by WHO
- A dramatic reduction of 20% TB cases were witnessed in 2020 as compared to 2019, ie; a gap of 4.1 million cases.
- The progress in TB detection has gone back to the levels of 2012, with India accounting for 41% of the total case drops in 2020.
Note – Lakshadweep is India’s 1st TB free Union Territory, which is inline with India’s target of eliminating TB by 2025.
About World Health Organisation (WHO):
Established – 7 April 1948
1st Director-General – Brock Chisholm (Canada)
Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland
>>Read Full News
Indian Army Team wins Gold in ‘Exercise Cambrian Patrol 2021’
Indian Army’s Team of 4/5 Gorkha Rifles (Frontier Force) that represented India in the ‘2021 Cambrian Patrol Exercise’ has won Gold medal. The exercise was organised by the United Kingdom (UK) Army between 13th – 15th October 2021 at Brecon, Wales, UK.
- Exercise Cambrian Patrol is an annual international military exercise conducted to test the ultimate human endurance, thus it is sometimes referred to as the ‘Olympics of Military Patrolling’.
i.On 15th October, the Gold Medal was presented to the Indian team by General Sir Mark Carleton-Smith, the Chief of General Staff of the British Army.
ii.The prestigious exercise saw the participation of 96 teams including top Special Forces & Regiments from 17 international teams.
Highlights of the Exercise:
- Teams have to cover a 50-mile (80 km) course in less than 48 hrs while performing numerous military exercises placed throughout the rugged Cambrian Mountains at Wales, UK.
- The exercises are framed to test the team’s leadership, physical endurance, and navigation skills among others.
About Indian Army:
Commander-in-Chief – President of India
Chief of Defence Staff – Bipin Rawat
Chief of Army Staff – MM Naravane
BANKING & FINANCE
SEBI Formed 4-Member Advisory Committee on Settlement Orders Chaired by Vijay C Daga
- The advisory committee will be chaired by Vijay C Daga, retired judge of the High Court of Bombay.
- Other members: The other members of the panel include PK Malhotra, the former law secretary in the Ministry of Law & Justice, PR Ramesh, ex-Chairman of Deloitte Haskins & Sells LLP and DN Raval, Partner at Raval&Raval Associates.
- The committee will work as per the SEBI (Settlement Proceedings) Regulations, 2018.
i.A person against whom any ‘specified proceedings’ that have been initiated and pending/may be initiated, could make an application to SEBI.
- ‘Specified proceedings’ – It means the proceedings that might be initiated before any forum for the violation of securities laws.
ii.Through the application, under the Settlement Proceedings regulation, an alleged offender could settle a pending case with the SEBI without admission or denial of guilt by paying a settlement fee.
- As the entities are currently provided with a window of 180 daysto apply for settlement after receipt of the show-cause notice, the applicants mostly apply for settlement at the end of that 180 days.
- To overcome such delays, the time limit for filing settlement applications was recommended to be reduced from 180 to 60 days.
Note – The provisions of the Settlement Proceedings regulation will not apply in the case of proceedings pending before the Tribunal or any court.
About Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI):
Establishment – 1992
Headquarter– Mumbai, Maharashtra
Chairman– Ajay Tyagi
BSE Signs MoU With Business Leadership League To Help SMEs
To provide benefit to SMEs by education and knowledge to function efficiently.
i.BSE had launched its SME Platform in 2012 and the Startup Platform 2018.
ii.BLL & BSE SME will help in spreading awareness about listing benefits in the stock market.
iii.BSE SME & Business Leadership League will reach out to potential companies through various sessions including online & offline programs.
About Business Leadership League (BLL):
Founder & Chief Executive Officer-Swetapadma Mohanty
Headquarters- Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra
About BSE SME and Startups:
Head- Ajay Thakur
Deputy General Manager– Anand Chari
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
RBI Withdrew all Restrictions Imposed on Hindu Cooperative Bank; Authorised KVB to Collect Direct Taxes
- On March 13, 2019, RBI had issued ‘Directions to stipulate certain restrictions on Hindu Cooperative Bank Ltd’ in the exercise of powers vested under sub-section (1) Section 35 A read with Section 56 of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
- The directions were modified from time to time and were last extended up to October 24, 2021.
-RBI Authorised KVB to collect Direct taxes
The Reserve Bank of India has authorisedKarurVysya Bank (KVB) to collect direct taxes on behalf of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
- After obtaining the approval, KVB has started the integration process with the CBDT to collect direct taxes.
- The integration would enable the bank to allow its customers to remit the direct taxes through any branch/net banking/ mobile banking services (DLite Mobile application).
Note – RBI imposed a monetary penalty of Rs 1 lakh on KurlaNagarikSahakari (KNS) Bank Ltd., Mumbai, Maharashtra, for contravention of certain norms related to the Depositor Education and Awareness Fund Scheme, 2014.
About KarurVysya Bank (KVB):
Establishment – 1916
Headquarters – Karur, Tamil Nadu
MD & CEO – B. Ramesh Babu
Tagline – Smart Way to Bank
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
Sona Comstar Partners with NASSCOM to Enhance Digital Skills of their Employees through Future Skills Prime
Objective- To provide professional and technical skills and to make India a global digital talent nation.
i.The Future Skills Prime (FSP) is the first of its kind PPP ( Public Private Partnership) collaboration between MeitY and NASSCOM. They together will create a digital skilling ecosystem for India’s citizens.
ii.It enhances the technological skills and productivity of the employees by giving them valuable and purposeful roles and opportunities.
iii.The advancement of technology and digital transformation compels up-skilling as the natural progression towards a promising future.
About Sona BLW Precision Forgings Limited (Sona Comstar)
Chief Executive Officer– Vivek Vikram Singh,
About NASSCOM (The National Association of Software and Service Companies)
Founded: 1 March 1988
Headquarters location: Noida, Uttar Pradesh
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Sajjan Jindal-1st Indian Appointed as Chairman of World Steel Association
Yu Yong, chairman of BHIS Group Ltd was heading as the chairman of Worldsteel for the last two years and he is now appointed as the vice-chairman, succeeded by Jindal.
i.The WSA is the main centre for steel industries. It provides global leadership on all major strategic issues impacting the industry, particularly focusing on economic, environmental and social sustainability.
ii.Worldsteel members represent approximately 85% of the world’s steel production, including more than 160 steel producers, national and regional steel industry associations and steel research institutes.
iii.JSW Group’s flagship JSW Steel is India’s leading and one of the world’s most efficient integrated steelmakers.
India in Steel Production
According to the World Steel Association (WSA) data, India now ranks as the second-largest producer of crude steel after China.
About World Steel Association (WSA)
Headquarters– Brussels, Belgium
Founded– 10 July 1967
Alexander Schallenberg Sworn in as Austria’s New Chancellor; Replaced Sebastian Kurz
- Sebastian Kurz was the youngest chancellor in Austrian history. He was first elected into office in 2017 at the age of 31.
About Alexander Schallenberg:
i.Alexander Schallenberg, born in Bern, Switzerland, joined the diplomatic service in 1997.
ii.He is a member of the Austrian People’s Party (Österreichische Volkspartei; ÖVP).
iii.He was appointed as the foreign minister in June 2019.
Michael Linhart, a 63-year-old career diplomat, was appointed as the new Foreign Minister succeeding Alexander Schallenberg.
President– Alexander Van der Bellen
Norway’s PM Erna Solberg Resigns; Jonas Gahr Støre Succeeds
(Note- It is not a member of the European Union (EU) but trades closely with the 27-nation bloc)
i.According to the parliamentary form of government, King Harald V of Norway will have the responsibility to task Jonas Gahr Store (Labour party) with forming a new cabinet.
ii.The September 13, 2021 elections resulted in the Labour Party gaining 26.4% of the vote against the Conservative Party 20.5%.
iii.The Labour party leader Jonas Gahr Store and Centre Party leader Trygve Slagsvold Vedum agreed to form a new government and currently he is serving as the Prime Minister of Norway.
Political Scenario in Norway
- The elections to Norway’s 169-seat legislature use the proportional representation system based on party lists in 19 districts.
- The Labour Party has been the largest political force in the kingdom for many years. Since the 1960s, the party has repeatedly been in power, and only in the 2013 elections was it voted into opposition.
Prime minister: Jonas Gahr Store
Currency: Norwegian krone
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
China Launched 1st Solar Exploration Satellite and Shenzhou-13 on a 6-month Space Station Mission
- 10 small satellites, an orbital atmospheric density detection experimental satellite, and a commercial meteorological detection constellation experimental satellite were also sent into space with the use of the same Long March-2D rocket.
-China Launches Shenzhou-13 with 3 Astronauts on a 6-month Space Station Mission
China launched a 3-person crew for a 6-month mission aboard its space station. The launch is planned to set a new record for the length of time spent in space (i.e. the longest orbit) by Chinese astronauts.
- The Shenzhou-13 spaceship carrying the three astronauts was launched by a Long March-2F rocket. Shenzhou-13 is the 5th mission to the structure and it means ‘Divine Vessel’.
- The new crew consists of Pilot ZhaiZhigang, Wang Yaping (the only woman on the mission), and Ye Guangfu.
Capital – Beijing
President – Xi Jinping
>>Read Full News
Highlights of IPL 2021 – CSK wins 4th IPL Title
On 15th October 2021, Chennai Super Kings (CSK) under the Captaincy of Mahendra Singh Dhoni (MS Dhoni) won their 4th IPL Title, after defeating Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) in the finals of the 14th Edition of Indian Premier League (IPL) or IPL 2021 or Vivo IPL 2021.Final was held at Dubai International Cricket Stadium, UAE.
Stadiums – M. A. Chidambaram Stadium- Chennai, Tamil Nadu; Wankhede Stadium- Mumbai, Maharashtra; Narendra Modi Stadium -Ahmedabad, Gujarat; Arun Jaitley Stadium – New Delhi, Delhi; Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai; Sheikh Zayed Cricket Stadium, Abu Dhabi; Sharjah Cricket Stadium, Sharjah.
Team Captains – CSK was lead by MS Dhoni, India & KKR was led by Eoin Morgan (Irish-born England cricketer)
i.Faf Du Plessis (South Africa), who played his 100th IPL game, was the top scorer for CSK in the finals. He was awarded the ‘Man of the Match’ award for his match winning 86 runs.
ii.Orange Cap – Ruturaj Gaikwad (CSK) scored a massive 635 runs in 16 matches in the 14th IPL to win the Orange Cap which is given to the most run scorer of the tournament.
iii.Purple Cap – Harshal Patel, from Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB), won the Purple Cap for picking up the most number of wickets in the current season.
- He picked 32 wickets in 15 matches, to equal Dwayne Bravo’s (CSK) 2013 record for the most wickets in a single IPL edition.
About Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI):
President – Sourav Ganguly
Headquarters – Wankhede Stadium – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Founded – 2008
1st Title Winner – Rajasthan Royals (Captain – Shane Warne)
>>Read Full News
World Food Day 2021 – October 16
The day commemorates the founding of the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations(FAO) on 16th October 1945.
- 16th October 2021 marks the 76th anniversary of FAO.
The theme of World Food Day 2021 is “Our actions are our future- Better production, better nutrition, a better environment and a better life”.
i.The observance of World Food Day was unanimously decided by the Conference of the FAO at its 20th session.
ii.The United Nations General Assembly(UNGA) adopted the resolution A/RES/35/70 and proclaimed the 16th October of every year as World Food Day.
iii.The first ever World Food Day was observed on 16th October 1981.
About Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations(FAO):
FAO was founded on 16 October 1945 in Quebec City, Canada.
Director-General– QU Dongyu
Headquarters– Rome, Italy
>>Read Full News
International E-Waste Day 2021 – October 14
- International E-Waste Day is annually organised by the WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) Forum, an international association representing forty producer responsibility organisations across the globe.
- 14th October 2021 marks the observance of the 4th edition of IEWD.
The theme of IEWD 2021 is “Consumer is the key to Circular Economy!”.
i.The International E-Waste Day (IEWD) was developed in 2018 by the WEEE Forum.
ii.The first ever IEWD was observed in 2018.
iii.In 2019, the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) joined the WEEE Forum, to mark International E-Waste Day.
i.E-waste contains hazardous substances like lead, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), polybrominated biphenyls (PBBs), mercury, polybrominated biphenyl ethers (PBDEs), brominated flame retardants (BFRs), and valuable substances such as iron, steel, copper, aluminium and plastics.
ii.According to the UN, in 2021 each person on the planet will produce on average 7.6 kg of e-waste, i.e., 57.4 million tonnes will be generated worldwide.
iii.Only around 17.4% of this e-waste containing a mixture of harmful substances and precious materials will be recorded as being properly collected, treated and recycled.
E-waste in India:
i.India has become the largest producer of e-waste after China and the United States
According to a Central Pollution Control Board report, India generated 1,014,961.2 tonnes of e-waste for 21 types of EEE in the financial year 2019-2020.
ii.Around 95% of this waste are handled by the informal sector.
About WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) Forum:
President– Jan Vlak
Headquarters– Brussels, Belgium
Founded in April 2002
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|S.no||Current Affairs 17 & 18 October 2021|
|1||RailTel & C-DOT Signed MoU to Boost Expansion of Telecom Services in India|
|2||PM Narendra Modi Launched 7 DPSUs Carved out of OFB; E. R. Sheikh Became 1st Director-General of the Ordnance Directorate|
|3||India’s Steel Ministry Signed MoU with Russia’s Minister of Energy for Collaboration in Coking Coal Sector|
|4||COVID-19 reverses decades of progress in TB elimination, India worst-hit: WHO|
|5||INDIAN ARMY TEAM WINS GOLD MEDAL IN EXERCISE CAMBRIAN PATROL ORGANISED AT BRECON, WALES (UK)|
|6||SEBI Formed 4-Member Advisory Committee on Settlement Orders Chaired by Vijay C Daga|
|7||BSE & Business Leadership League signs MoU pact|
|8||RBI Withdrew all Restrictions Imposed on Hindu Cooperative Bank; Authorised KVB to Collect Direct Taxes|
|9||SonaComstar Partners with NASSCOM to Enhance Digital Skills of their Employees through Future Skills Prime|
|10||Worldsteel Association appoints JSW’s Sajjan Jindal as the New Chairman for 2 years|
|11||Alexander Schallenberg Sworn in as Austria’s New Chancellor; Replaced Sebastian Kurz|
|12||Norway’s PMr Erna Solberg Resigns after defeat in Parliamentary Elections|
|13||China Launched 1st Solar Exploration Satellite and Shenzhou-13 on a 6-month Space Station Mission|
|14||Chennai Super Kings under MS Dhoni win IPL for 4th time:14th edition of the Indian Premier League|
|15||World Food Day 2021 – October 16|
|16||International E-Waste Day 2021 – October 14|