We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 16 June 2021, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2021 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs June 2021 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2021 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
NHPC signs MoU with BSHPC for Implementation of 130.1 MW Dagmara HE Project in Supaul district of Bihar
i.The MoU was signed through video conference by NHPC Director (Projects) Biswajit Basu on behalf of NHPC and BSHPC Managing Director Alok Kumar.
ii.A grant of Rs 700crore will be provided by the Bihar Government for Capex (Capital expenditures) requirements of the project .
It is a Mini Ratna Category-I Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) and largest organisation for hydropower development in India.
Chairman & Managing Director (CMD)– Abhay Kumar Singh
Headquarter– Faridabad, Haryana
>>Read Full News
Odisha welcomes Agricultural Year through ‘Raja Parba’ Festival
The day was observed,
i.To greet the agricultural year through biological symbolism in mid-June.
ii.To highlight the end of summer season and the arrival of the monsoon making the soil ready for cultivation and productivity.
Historical Belief of Raja Parba:
Raja Parba is dedicated to Mother Earth (Bhuma Devi) and celebrates womanhood. Bhumi Devi is the wife of Lord Vishnu. As per the beliefs Mother Earth menstruates during the first three days and prepares herself for agricultural activities with monsoon appearance. The festival concludes on the fourth day with a custom called Vasumati Snana or the bathing of Bhuma Devi.
i.During the three days, women get a break from household work and play indoor games.
ii.The first day is called “Pahili Raja”, second is “Raja Sankranti” and third is “Bhumi Dahana or Basi Raja”.
iii.The second day signifies the beginning of the solar month of Mithuna which indicates the initiation of monsoon.
Events & Programs:
As traditional cakes (pithas) are sold during Raja Parba, therefore, Odisha Tourism Development Corporation (OTDC) launched a special programme ‘Pitha on Wheels’ (kiosks on wheels). Under this, the relevant vehicles will sell different varieties of pithas along with masks manufactured by SHGs (Self Help Groups).
Chief Minister– Naveen Patnaik
Capital– Bhubaneswar (Temple City of India)
Governor– Ganeshi Lal
OTDC Chairperson– Shreemayee Mishra
44th GST Council Meet: GST Cut for Medicines, Oxygen, Tests; Vaccines GST Unchanged at 5%
Change in GST Rates on Medicines:
|S.No||Description||Present GST Rate||Rate recommended by GST Council|
|4.||Anti-Coagulants like Heparin||12%||5%|
|5.||Any other drug recommended by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) and Dept. of Pharma (DoP) for COVID-19 treatment||Applicable Rate||5%|
Note – The drugs Tocilizumab and Amphotericin B, which are exempted from GST are used to treat mucormycosis — black fungus.
About GST Council and GST:
i.GST Council is a federal body formed on 15th September 2016 under Article 279A of the Constitution.
ii.The Council is headed by the union finance minister (Current- Nirmala Sitharaman) assisted by the finance minister of all the states of India. It will make recommendations to the Union and the States on important issues related to GST.
iii.GST, an indirect tax was implemented in India on 1 July 2017, India’s GST is based on the Canadian model. France was the 1st country to implement the GST in 1954.
iv.Assam was the 1st state to implement the GST.
>>Read Full News
SJVN Ltd Signed a Pact with NIWE To Develop solar & Wind Energy Projects
- The MoU was signed by Nand Lal Sharma, Chairman & Managing Director(CMD) of SJVN Ltd and Dr. K Balaraman Director General of NIWE over a virtual ceremony.
Features of MoU:
i.Under this MoU, NIWE will support SJVN to assess the feasibility and techno-commercial aspects of solar, wind, hybrid energy projects and preparation of Detailed Project Reports, Estimates and Bid Documents covering all relevant aspects of the SJVN projects.
ii.The joint efforts of SJVN and NIWE will contribute to achieve the government’s target to install 175 GW of Renewable Energy capacity by the year 2022 and 450 gigawatts of Renewable Energy capacity by 2030.
About National Institute of Wind Energy (NIWE):
NIWE is an autonomous R&D institution by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Government of India.
Director General- Dr. K Balaraman
Headquarters– Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Established in– 1998
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh Inaugurated Two Centres of Excellence of BRO
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated two centres of excellence(CoE) established by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) at Seema Sadak Bhawan in New Delhi.The 2 CoE’s are,
- The Centre of Excellence for Road Safety and Awareness (CoERSA)
- The Centre of Excellence for Roads, Bridges, Air Fields and Tunnels (CoERBAT)
The main objective of these CoE is to achieve excellence in road safety and to foster growth in construction of roads, air fields, tunnels and bridges.
The first-ever solo woman motorcycle expedition by Kanchan Ugursandi to Umling La Pass in Ladakh was also flagged off on the occasion by Rajnath Singh.
Govt Launched “Project O2 for India” To Meet The Demand of Medical Oxygen
The Government of India launched the “Project O2 for India” to increase the ability of India to meet the increasing demand of medical oxygen and hospital beds following the 2nd wave of COVID-19. It is an initiative of the office of Principal Scientific Adviser, Government of India (GoI).
- Under ‘Project O2 for India’, a National Consortium of Oxygen is enabling the national level supply of critical raw materials, setting up small oxygen plants, oxygen plants, concentrators, and ventilators.
WHO released hand book “Estimating the burden of foodborne diseases: A practical handbook for countries”
- There will be a webinar on June 29, 2021 by WHO for detailed discussion on the handbook.
Purpose of Handbook:
i.To provides detailed guidance to countries for measuring their foodborne disease burden caused by microbiological agents.
ii.To protect people’s health at national level.
iii.To guide countries towards the need of food safety systems and identification of data gaps.
Reason behind the release of Handbook:
The handbook is developed on the lines of the resolution adopted in 2020 by the World Health Assembly (WHO) which mandates WHO to monitor the global burden of foodborne and zoonotic diseases at national, regional and international level along with estimates of global foodborne disease incidence, mortality and disease burden by 2025.
What is Foodborne disease?
Foodborne disease or food poisoning is caused by contamination of food or beverages with bacteria, viruses, parasites or toxins. It is a preventable disease.
PM Modi addresses UN ‘High-Level Dialogue on Desertification, Land degradation and Drought’
- The meeting aims to maintain momentum on addressing DLDD-related challenges.
- It was attended by Executive Secretary of UNCCD Ibrahim Thiaw and leaders of various global organizations.
Key Points from the Address
i.In the last decade alone around 3 million hectares of forest cover were added in India. This has increased the combined forest cover to almost one-fourth of India’s total area.
- Restoration of 26 million hectares of degraded land aimed by 2030 to achieve an additional carbon sink of 2.5 to 3 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent.
ii.Centre of Excellence to be set up in India to promote a scientific approach towards land degradation issues.
iii.Globally, one fifth of Earth’s land area – more than 2 billion hectares is degraded, including more than half of all agricultural land. Land degradation affects 3.2 billion people across the world.
About United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD)
Executive General – Ibrahim Thiaw
Headquarters – Bonn, Germany
>>Read Full News
India 14th Most Charitable Country, Indonesia tops: World Giving Index 2021 Report
- The WGI 2021 is based on the year 2020 and highlights the impact of lockdowns on charitable giving.
- The WGI is an annual report, it uses data gathered by Gallup’s World view World Poll. The 1st edition of the report was released in 2010.
i.India is now placed in the Top 20 most generous countries in the world, up from the 10-year global rank of 82.
ii.Lowest Ranked Countries were Belgium (112), Portugal (113) & Japan (114).
About Charities Aid Foundation (CAF)
Chief Executive – Neil Heslop
Headquarters – London, UK
>>Read Full News
Developing Economies Energy Transition needs USD 1 Trillion by 2030 : IEA Report
The Annual Clean energy investment in emerging and developing economies needs to increase by more than seven times – from less than USD 150 billion in 2019 to more than USD 1 Trillion by 2030 to put the world on track to reach net-zero emissions by 2050.
- Annual investment across the entire energy sector in emerging and developing markets have fallen by about 20% since 2016.
- World’s energy and climate future will depend on how emerging economies manage energy transition successfully.
- The report has been prepared by IEA in collaboration with the World Bank and the World Economic Forum (WEF).
i.Recent trends in Global clean energy spending highlight an increasing gap between advanced economies and the developing world, even though the adoption of Clean energy is more cost effective in developing economies than in advanced economies
ii.If investments are not increased, energy related CO2 emissions from Asia, Africa and Latin America will grow by 5 billion tonnes over the next two decades.
About International Energy Agency (IEA)
Executive Director – Fatih Birol
Headquarters – Paris, France
Members Countries– 30 member countries
>>Read Full News
Overview of EAM Jaishankar’s visit to Kuwait & Kenya
It was Jaishankar’s 1st visit to Kuwait as EAM. During the visit, he held high level meetings and addressed the Indian community in Kuwait.
i.India & Kuwait have signed an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) which will bring Indian domestic workers in Kuwait under the ambit of a legal framework. It will help in Streamlining the recruitment and providing the workers the protection of the law.
EAM Jaishankar paid a three-day visit to Kenya. The visit was aimed at exploring ways to broaden ties between the two countries.
i.During the visit, EAM Jaishankar co-chaired the 3rd India-Kenya Joint Commission meeting along with Raychelle Omamo, Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Affairs, Kenya.
ii.EAM inaugurated the renovated Mahatma Gandhi Library at the University of Nairobi in Kenya. India had provided financial support for the renovation of the Library.
Emir – Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah
Capital – Kuwait City
Currency – Kuwaiti Dinar (KWD)
President – Uhuru Kenyatta
Capital – Nairobi
Currency – Kenyan Shilling (KES)
>>Read Full News
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI Issued Norms for FATF Non-Compliant Jurisdictions’ Investment in PSOs; Released Consultative Document on Regulation of Microfinance
Restrictions imposed by RBI:
i.RBI has not permitted new investors from or through non-compliant FATF jurisdictions to acquire, directly or indirectly, ‘significant influence’ in PSOs (existing PSOs/ entities seeking authorisation as PSOs).
ii.Fresh investments (directly or indirectly) from those non-compliant FATF jurisdictions, in aggregate, should account for less than 20 percent of the voting power (including potential voting power) of the PSO.
– RBI has released the Consultative Document on Regulation of Microfinance
RBI has released the Consultative Document on Regulation of Microfinance for feedback from all stakeholders. It intends to address the over-indebtedness of microfinance borrowers and enable a market mechanism to bring down interest rates by empowering the borrowers to make an informed decision.
- It suggests a common definition of microfinance loans that is uniformly applicable to all regulated entities to ensure certainty, irrespective of the type of lenders.
About Financial Action Task Force (FATF):
It is an inter-governmental body that sets standards and develops and promotes policies to combat money laundering and terrorist financing. India became a member of the FATF in 2010.
Establishment – 1989 by the G-7 Summit.
Headquarters – Paris, France
President – Marcus Pleyer (Germany)
Member countries – 39
>>Read Full News
Ambuja Cement Foundation Joins with NABARD to Skill Rural Youth
- Objective: To empower youth with practical skill development training and empower them for a better future.
- ACF received grant assistance from NABARD under the Gramya Vikas Nidhi, a fund created for the development of off-farm sector activities.
i.Under the ESIP Phase II, ACG intends to provide skill training across 19 ACF locations for a period of 2 years in 12 trades (It has already reached over 4000 youth)
ii.Along with skill training, soft skills and leadership skills are included as a part of the training module.
iii.After completion of training, the students will be provided with placement and hand-holding support post-placement.
iv.NABARD’s partnership with ACF:
- It was started in 2008 and had funded 32 projects in the areas of agriculture, women empowerment, water and skills impacting 25,000 people.
- Under the partnership 33 Skill and Entrepreneurship Development Institutes centres are implemented.
About Ambuja Cement Foundation (ACF):
Establishment – 1993
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Director and CEO – Pearl Tiwari
Chairman – Narotam Sekhsaria
About National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD):
NABARD was established on the recommendations of the B.Sivaraman Committee (by Act 61, 1981 of Parliament) to implement the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development Act 1981.
Establishment – 12 July 1982
Chairman– Govinda Rajulu Chintala
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Ujjivan SFB Collaborates with MoEngage
- Objective: To build a vast presence of the bank for connecting with customers in unserved and underserved regions through multiple digital touchpoints.
- SMS campaigns: Under the tie-up along with MoEngage, Ujjivan SFB targets SMS (Short Message Services) campaigns to encourage digital repayments, under which, the customers are enabled with options to make payments either digitally or through cash deposit.
- MoEngage will drive the campaigns in 12 different regional languages and will educate customers on online bill payments.
About Ujjivan Small Finance Bank (SFB):
Establishment – 2017 (set up by Ujjivan Financial Services Limited)
Headquarters – Bengaluru, Karnataka
MD & CEO– Nitin Chugh
Tagline – Build a better life
>>Read Full News
Policybazaar Gets Insurance Broking Licence From IRDAI
- Policybazaar will undertake business including insurance aggregation under the broking umbrella and it will surrender its web aggregator licence to IRDAI.
- The broking licence will allow the company to enter into segments like claims assistance, offline services, and establish Points of Presence network.
Policybazaar is one of the largest online distributors of health, motor and term life insurance.The group has other fintech brands including Paisabazaar, b2b venture ZPhin and a lending & insurance marketplace in the UAE region.
PolicyBazaar has a market share of 25 percent in the life insurance segment and10 percent in health insurance.
CO Founder & CEO: Yashish Dahiya
Chairperson: Subhash Chandra Khuntia
Indian Bank and Practo Joined for Employees’ Wellness Package
Indian Bank, joined with Practo, healthcare company, to provide Practo’s corporate health and wellness plans to the bank’s employees (existing and former) and their family members during the COVID-19.
- The health plans include 24×7 access to online consultations with verified doctors across more than 23 specialties, preventive health check-ups to meet pharmaceutical needs, and general healthcare sessions.
- This welfare measure will benefit around 74,000 present and retired staff members of the bank, it is the first-of-its-kind initiative of the bank.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
IIT Kanpur Professor Mukesh Sharma Appointed as Honorary Member of WHO Body
Mukesh Sharma, who is a professor at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur has been appointed as honorary member of WHO’s (World Health Organization) Global Air Pollution and Health-Technical Advisory Group (GAPH-TAG).
- His appointment is made by the Director General of WHO,Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
- Mukesh Sharma is an air quality expert with the civil engineering department at IIT-Kanpur.
- He will be part of the interventions and policies for air pollution control in 194 member states of WHO
Italian car maker Ferrari appointed Benedetto Vigna as CEO
Italian car maker Ferrari has appointed Benedetto Vigna as a Chief Executive Officer(CEO) effective from September 1, 2021. He replaces former Chief Executive Louis Camilleri who retired in December 2020.
He currently holds an executive role at STMicroelectronics(ST), Europe’s largest semiconductor chip manufacturer
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
IIT Ropar developed “Jivan Vayu”, India’s first power free CPAP device
- Dr Khushboo Rakha, Assistant Professor, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, developed the device at the Advanced Materials and Design Lab of IIT Ropar.
About Jivan Vayu:
i.The device was manufactured using 3D Printing technology and it has also been tested mechanically.
ii.The device has an inbuilt viral filter of 99.99% viral efficacy at the air entrainment end. The viral filter ensures that the air does not bring in any pathogens from the environment.
ii.The device will maintain a fraction of inspired oxygen (FiO2) of above 40% with PEEP (positive end-expiratory pressure) of 5-20 cm H2O.
i.Jivan Vayu is adapted to both kinds of Oxygen generation units like O2 cylinders and oxygen pipelines in Hospitals, these facilities are not available in the existing CPAP machine.
ii.This is a leak-proof low-cost CPAP device designed for a 22mm CPAP closed-circuit tube.
iii.Since the device can run without power, it can be used to safely transport a patient.
iv.It is also used to treat infants whose lungs have not fully developed. The machine blows air into the baby’s nose to help inflate his or her lungs.
CPAP and its importance:
i.CPAP is a method of treatment for patients with sleep apnea, breathing difficulties during sleep.
ii.To enable easy breathing, the machines use mild air pressure to keep the airway open.
iii.This treatment is essential during the early stages of COVID-19 infection.
iv.This method reduces lung damage and allows the patients to recover from inflammatory effects.
European Space Agency’s EnVision mission to Venus in 2030
To study the planet’s atmosphere and surface, monitor trace gases in the atmosphere and analyse its surface composition.
i.EnVision is an ESA led mission with contributions from NASA(National Aeronautics and Space Administration).
ii.It will be launched on an Ariane 6 rocket, the spacecraft will take about 15 months to reach Venus and will take 16 more months to achieve orbit circularisation.
iii.It will provide a holistic view of Venus from its inner core to the upper atmosphere.
iv.It will determine how and why Venus and Earth evolved so differently while being in the habitable zone to the Sun.
- NASA recently selected two missions to the planet Venus namely,DAVINCI+ and VERITAS.
- Previously, an ESA-led mission to Venus called ‘Venus Express’ (2005-2014) focussed on atmospheric research and pointed to volcanic hotspots on the planet’s surface.
- Other than this, Japan’s Akatsuki spacecraft has also been studying the planet’s atmosphere since 2015.
Indian Wrestler Vinesh Phogat wins gold at Poland Open ranking Series
Indian wrestler Vinesh Phogat won the women’s 53kg category gold medal at the Poland Open ranking Series, She played the final against Khrystyna Bereza of Ukraine. This was India’s second medal at the event after Ravi Kumar Dahiya’s won silver in the men’s 61kg category.
Noted Kannada Actor Sanchari Vijay Passed Away
The National Award-winning Kannada film actor Vijay Kumar Basavarajaiah Popularly known as Sanchari Vijay has passed away after being declared as brain dead in Bengaluru,Karnataka.He was born on 18 July 1983 in Chikkamagaluru, Karnataka.
About Sanchari Vijay:
i.Sanchari Vijay was awarded the National Film Award for Best Actor in 2015 at the 62nd National Film Awards for the Kannada film Naanu Avanalla…Avalu.
ii.He also received the Karnataka State Film Award for Best Actor and the Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor-South.
iii.His other noted films include,Dasavala, Oggarane, Harivu, Killing Veerappan and Nathicharami.
Global Wind Day 2021 – June 15
The European Wind Energy Association(EWEA) and the Global Wind Energy Council(GWEC) coordinates the Global Wind Day through a network of their partners.
i.In 2007 the Wind Day was first observed as the European Wind Day by the European Wind Energy Association(EWEA).
ii.With the joint efforts of the EWEA and GWEC, The Wind Day became a global event in 2009 and has been observed as Global Wind Day since 15th June 2009.
About Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC):
Chairman– Morten Dyrholm
CEO– Ben Backwell
Secretariat– Brussels, Belgium.
>>Read Full News
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2021 – June 15
The theme of the World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2021 is “Access to Justice”.
i.The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) adopted the resolution A/RES/66/127 on 19th December 2011 and proclaimed the 15th June of every year as the World Elder Abuse Awareness Day.
ii.The First World Elder Abuse Awareness Day(WEAAD) was observed on 15th June 2012.
United Nations Decade of Healthy Ageing (2021-2030):
The UN has proclaimed 2021 to 2030 as the Decade of Healthy Ageing, with WHO leading international action to improve the lives of older people, their families and communities.
>>Read Full News
Telangana AI Mission Launched Accelerator Program for AI startups – ‘Revv Up’
- T-AIM was launched by the Telangana government as a part of its ‘2020 Year of AI initiative’ along with the IT industry body, the National Association of Software and Service Companies (NASSCOM).
- The 1st edition of the programme Revv Up will be started in July 2021 and intends to make Telangana and Hyderabad a global destination for AI by providing innovative AI ideas under T-AIM.
- NASSCOM will execute the strategy of T-AIM to promote innovative and impactful AI solutions.
Note – Telangana was also the 1st state in India to launch an actionable policy framework for AI in June 2020.
About National Association of Software and Service Companies (NASSCOM):
Establishment – 1988
Headquarters – New Delhi
President – Debjani Ghosh
>>Read Full News
Sikkim CM presents INR 9852.85 Crore budget for FY 2021-22
- Out of INR 9852.85 Crore, the net outgo (money left after paying taxes) has been kept at INR 9588.65 Crore. The differential amount of INR 264.20 Crore has been calculated as recoveries from various heads.
Tourism is one of the key sectors of Sikkim, it has been hit very hard due to the Pandemic.
- It has suffered losses of around INR 900 crore, due to which Sikkim’s GDP has decreased by more than INR 2200 crore.
- Agriculture, electricity and excise sectors have been affected due to breakdown of supply chains and reduced consumption.
Chief Minister – Prem Singh Tamang
Capital – Gangtok
Governor – Ganga Prasad
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|S.no||Current Affairs 16 June 2021|
|1||NHPC signs MoU with BSHPC for Implementation of 130.1 MW Dagmara HE Project in Supaul district of Bihar|
|2||Odisha welcomes Agricultural Year through ‘Raja Parba’ Festival|
|3||44th GST Council Meet: GST Cut for Medicines, Oxygen, Tests; Vaccines GST Unchanged at 5%|
|4||SJVN Ltd Signed a Pact with NIWE To Develop solar & Wind Energy Projects|
|5||Defence Minister Rajnath Singh Inaugurated Two Centres of Excellence of BRO|
|6||Govt Launched “Project O2 for India” To Meet The Demand of Medical Oxygen|
|7||WHO released hand book “Estimating the burden of foodborne diseases: A practical handbook for countries”|
|8||PM Modi addresses UN ‘High-Level Dialogue on Desertification, Land degradation and Drought’|
|9||India 14th Most Charitable Country, Indonesia tops: World Giving Index 2021 Report|
|10||Developing Economies Energy Transition needs USD 1 Trillion by 2030 : IEA Report|
|11||Overview of EAM Jaishankar’s visit to Kuwait & Kenya|
|12||RBI Issued Norms for FATF Non-Compliant Jurisdictions’ Investment in PSOs; Released Consultative Document on Regulation of Microfinance|
|13||Ambuja Cement Foundation Joins with NABARD to Skill Rural Youth|
|14||Ujjivan SFB Collaborates with MoEngage|
|15||Policybazaar Gets Insurance Broking Licence From IRDAI|
|16||Indian Bank and Practo Joined for Employees’ Wellness Package|
|17||IIT Kanpur Professor Mukesh Sharma Appointed as Honorary Member of WHO Body|
|18||Italian car maker Ferrari appointed Benedetto Vigna as CEO|
|19||IIT Ropar developed “Jivan Vayu”, India’s first power free CPAP device|
|20||European Space Agency’s EnVision mission to Venus in 2030|
|21||Indian Wrestler Vinesh Phogat wins gold at Poland Open ranking Series|
|22||Noted Kannada Actor Sanchari Vijay Passed Away|
|23||Global Wind Day 2021 – June 15|
|24||World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2021 – June 15|
|25||Telangana AI Mission Launched Accelerator Program for AI startups – ‘Revv Up’|
|26||Sikkim CM presents INR 9852.85 Crore budget for FY 2021-22|