On June 21, 2019, The first phase of the world’s largest multi-stage, multi-purpose scheme Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project (KLIP) worth Rs 80,000 crore was inaugurated by the Chief Minister of Telangana Chandrashekar Rao at Medigadda in Jayashankar-Bhupalpally district near the borders with Maharashtra and Chhattisgarh. It was inaugurated in the presence of Governor of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh, ESL Narasimhan, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy. The cost of the project is expected to rise to Rs 1,00,000 crore on its completion.
- It is constructed by Megha Engineering and Infrastructure Limited (MEIL).
- The project, built across Godavari river, has become the world’s biggest in terms of capacity with 3 Barrages, 1531 km of Gravity Canals, 203 km of Tunnels, 20 Lifts, 19 Pump houses and 20 Reservoirs with total capacity of 147 TMC water irrigating 37 lakh acres.
- It will provide irrigation facility for two crops in a year to 45 lakh acres and will supply 40 TMC of water to the ambitious Mission Bhagiratha drinking water supply project.
- Approximate 16 thousand million cubic feet (TMC) will support industries.
- It will see at least 2 TMC of Godavari water lifted daily to the Medigadda Barrage and then transported via six more levels to Konda Pochamma Sagar Reservoir, which is located approximately 60 kilometres from Hyderabad.
- The biggest lift schemes in the world, till date, are the Colorado lift scheme in America and the Great Manmade River in Egypt.
♦ Capital: Hyderabad
♦ Folk Dance: Perini Sivatandavam or Perini Thandavam, Oggu Katha and Lambadi
♦ National Parks: Kasu Brahmananda Reddy National Park, Mahaveer Harina Vanasthali National Park and Mrugavani National Park