World Sports Journalists Day is annually observed on 2nd July to commemorate the establishment of the International Sports Press Association also known as the Association Internationale de la Presse Sportive (AIPS) in 1924, during the Summer Olympics in Paris, France. The day encourages and recognises the sports journalists for their outstanding efforts of the journalists who bring the world of sports closer to its viewers.
- 2 July, 2022 marked the 98th anniversary of the International Sports Press Association (AIPS).
- The World Sports Journalists Day was introduced In 1994 by AIPS.
Note-Sports Journalist Federation of India (SJFI) is located in Kolkata, West Bengal. It was established in 1976 at Eden Gardens, Calcutta (Kolkata).SJFI got affiliated with AIPS in 1979.
World Sports Journalists Day was established by AIPS in 1994 to mark the 70th anniversary of its foundation. SJFI got affiliated to AIPS in 1979
- The first was World Sports Journalists Day observed in 1994.
- AIPS is also recognised by the International Olympic Committee(IOC).
History of International Sports Press Association (AIPS):
It was established as L’Association Internationale de la Presse Sportive in Paris, France, in 1924, by Games Press Chief, Frantz Reichel, and the Victor Boin Belgian freestyle swimmer
- The first Congress was held in July 1924, with 29 nations present.
i.There are several awards given out on World Sports Journalists Day however, the most prestigious award is the annual World Sports Journalist of the Year Award.
- It is given to a journalist who has made an outstanding contribution to sports journalism.
- Other awards include the Lifetime Achievement Award (Journalist who has made a significant contribution in sports) and the Rising Star Award (Young journalist).
Awards for sport journalist:
- Sports Emmy Award- by National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (NATAS)(United States)
- Dave Moore Award-by Elysian Fields Quarterly (United States)
About International Sports Press Association (AIPS):
Headquarters- Lausanne, Switzerland