Hello Aspirants. Welcome to Online Current Affairs December 2016 Quiz in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating quiz covering important event in Current Affairs, which is common for all the bank exams and other competitive exams.
- Name the Nigeria’s Environment minister who has been appointed as the UN Deputy Secretary-General on December 15, 2016.
A.Mallam Umaru Altine
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – B.Amina Mohammed
Nigeria’s Environment minister, Amina Mohammed, was appointed as the UN Deputy Secretary-General by the new UN Secretary-General António Guterres on December 15, 2016. Guterres also announced Brazilian Diplomat Maria Luzia Ribeiro Viotti as Chief de Cabinet and South Korea’s Kyung-wha Kang as special advisor.
- Which Country has emerged to be the first to legally approve ‘three-parent baby’ treatment, with first children to be conceived in 2017?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – B. Britain
Britain is set to become the first country in the world to legally offer “three-parent baby” fertility treatments after regulators gave the green light. The technique, which uses DNA from two women and a man, would allow mothers who carry disease-causing mutations in their mitochondrial genes to give birth to children free of the illness.
- Name the country in which China launched its first overseas fully-owned satellite ground station on December 15, 2016.
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – A.Sweden
China on December 15, 2016, launched its first fully-owned satellite ground station abroad near the North Pole. The facility is located in Sweden about 200 kms north of the Arctic Circle and would allow China to collect satellite data anywhere on Earth at speeds that was fastest in the world.
- What percent of stake was approved for the disinvestment of Pawan Hans Helicopters Ltd.by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) on December 15, 2016?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – C.100%
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on December 15, 2016, announced the approval of the recommendation for the disinvestment of 100 percent stake of state-owned helicopter services provider Pawan Hans Helicopters Ltd., based in New Delhi. The Centre will entirely exit from Pawan Hans, Hindustan Newsprint, Ferro Scrap Nigam and Central Electronics, among others.
- Who has been appointed as the Director General and Chief Executive Officer of the Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA)?
B.Narinder Kumar Katyal
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – D.Sunil Arora
Former Information and Broadcasting Secretary Sunil Arora has been appointed as the Director General and Chief Executive Officer of the Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA), a think tank that comes under the Corporate Affairs Ministry. IICA focuses on matters related with the functioning of corporates and works towards the capacity building with various stakeholders including regulators and professionals, among other activities.
- RBI on December 15, 2016 imposed restriction on withdrawal and deposit in accounts in which more than Rs._________ has been deposited after November 9 and has a balance above Rs. 5 lakh.
A.Rs. 1 Lakh
B.Rs. 2.5 Lakh
C.Rs. 2 Lakh
D.Rs. 3 Lakh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – C.Rs. 2 Lakh
The Reserve Bank of India has imposed certain restriction on deposits and withdrawal made after November 9 to stop the misuse of banking channels to deposit unaccounted money. RBI on December 15, 2016, imposed restrictions on withdrawal & deposit if more than Rs 2 lakh has been deposited after November 9 in an account which has a balance of over Rs 5 lakh.
- Who has been elected as the Mayor of Californian city Cupertino on December 16, 2016?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – D.Savita Vaidhyanathan
For the first time, an Indian-American woman, Savita Vaidhyanathan, on December 16, 2016 was elected the new mayor of Californian city Cupertino, globally famous for its Apple headquarters. She will replace Barry Chang who had served as mayor from 2015.
- Name the famous actor, known for his roles in ‘Bewitched’ and ‘Titanic’, who died in California at 89 on 14 December 2016.
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – A.Bernard Fox
Bernard Fox, known for playing Dr. Bombay in Bewitched died of heart failure at Valley Presbyterian Hospital in Van Nuys, California on December 14, 2016. He was 89. He was famous for his roles in The Mummy and Titanic among others.
- How many mini-satellites have been launched by NASA on December 15, 2016 to measure the surface wind deep in the heart of hurricanes?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – D.8
Eight mini-satellites were launched by NASA on December 15, 2016 to measure the surface wind deep in the heart of hurricanes. The $157 million Cyclone Global Navigation Satellite System (CYGNSS), is meant to improve hurricane forecasting. The satellites have GPS navigation receivers to frequently measure the surface roughness of oceans, enabling scientists to calculate wind speed and storm intensity. Unlike weather satellites already in orbit, these spacecraft can also see through rain circulating in a hurricane.
- Which E-Commerce Gateway has launched the campaign ‘Each one, teach one’ to increase the digital inclusion in India?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – B.Paytm
To increase the digital inclusion in India, Paytm, a digital wallet, has announced a campaign, ‘Each one, teach one, under which consumers and merchants across the country with Paytm knowledge will be required to teach others to use Paytm. The aim of the campaign is to increase the use of digital wallet and shift the users from cash to digital payments mode.
- Name the Indian-British Activist who has been named in BBC’s most influential women of the past 70 years list released on December 14, 2016.
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – D.Jayaben Desai
Jayaben Desai, a Gujarat-born activist, who led a campaign against low pay for women workers at a UK factory in the 1970s, has been named in the BBC’s most influential women of the past 70 years list which was released on December 14, 2016.
- India’s first interdisciplinary arts festival, Serendipity, has been organized in which Indian State?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – B.Goa
Serendipity, India’s first interdisciplinary arts festival, kicked off in the capital of Goa, Panaji on December 16, 2016.The eight day multi-disciplinary arts and culture festival will be held across seven landmark venues along the Mandovi River from December 16 to 23, 2016.The Festival aims at celebrating the diversity in art with a special focus on music, dance, theater, crafts, visual arts, culinary arts and photography.
- Which Indian state has emerged as the first state to adopt the Mahila Police Volunteer initiative on December 14, 2016?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – C.Haryana
Haryana on December 14, 2016 adopted the Mahila Police Volunteer initiative which is a joint initiative with the Union Ministry of Home Affairs. It became the first state to adopt the scheme in two of its districts namely Karnal and Mahindergarh. A Mahila Police Volunteer will serve as a public-police interface in order to fight crime against women. She will be tasked with reporting incidences of violence against women such as domestic violence, child marriage, dowry harassment and violence faced by women in public spaces.
- Name the last vessel in the series of eight Landing Craft Utility Ships under LCU MK IV project, designed and built by M/s GRSE for the Indian Navy.
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – C.LCU-L58
The eighth and the last ship of LCU MK IV project, an amphibious ship, was launched at a ceremony at Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd (GRSE), Kolkata on December 16, 2016. The ship was named ‘LCU-L58’ after performing the rituals and was finally launched for its first contact with water. LCU-L58 is the last vessel in the series of eight Landing Craft Utility Ships, designed and built by M/s GRSE for the Indian Navy.
- The Gujarat government on December 15, 2016, approved an ordinance to make amendments in the current Gujarat Prohibition Act to take stringent action against which law?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – A.Liquor Law
Gujarat government on December 15, 2016, proposed an order to take more strict action against bootleggers, tipplers and unscrupulous officials who help criminals in escaping from situations of raids on liquor dens in the prohibited
area.The ordinance, that seeks to make necessary amendments in the current Gujarat Prohibition Act, was approved at
- Where was the sixth Asia Pacific Ministerial Conference on Housing and Urban Development conducted?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – A.New Delhi
The sixth edition of Asia Pacific Ministerial Conference on Housing and Urban Development (APMCHUD) was held in New Delhi from December 14-December 16, 2016. Theme of the conference: ‘Emerging Urban Forms – Policy Responses and Government Structures’.
- Who inaugurated the sixth Asia Pacific Ministerial Conference on Housing and Urban Development?
A.N. Chandrababu Naidu
D.M Venkaiah Naidu.
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – D.M Venkaiah Naidu
The sixth edition of Asia Pacific Ministerial Conference on Housing and Urban Development (APMCHUD) was held in New Delhi from December 14-December 16, 2016.The conference was inaugurated by Union Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu.The aim of the conference was to address issues ranging from crowded city centres to peripheral expansion, metropolitan based urban population growth, megacities and urban corridors among others.
- The New Delhi Declaration 2016 adopted at the 6th Asia Pacific Ministerial Conference is about?
B.Nuclear Power Regulation
C.Housing & Urban Development
D.Poverty Reducing Measures
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – C.Housing & Urban Development
Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu on December 16, 2016, signed the New Delhi Declaration on the sixth edition of Asia Pacific Ministerial Conference on Housing and Urban Development in New Delhi. The ‘New Delhi Declaration’ contained that ‘Asia Pacific countries that account for over 55% of global urban population have resolved to adopt ‘Urban Plus’ approach taking urban planning and development beyond city limits to prevent unmanageable and unsustainable urban expansion’.
- Name the second income disclosure scheme launched by the government on December 16, 2017, that entitles declarant to pay 50% tax on undisclosed money.
A.Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana
B.Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana
C.Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana
D.Pradhan Mantri Digi Locker Scheme
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – B.Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana
The government on December 16, 2017, announced a second income disclosure scheme named ‘The Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana’ to give another chance to tax evaders to come clean after paying 50% tax on depositing junk currencies in bank account. The move aimed at providing a second chance to black money holders to declare their income before March 31, 2017. The declaration made under the new scheme will also be kept secret.
- India’s first transgender school, Sahaj International School to be set up in which Indian city on December 30, 2016?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – C.Kochi
Sahaj International School will be the first residential transgender school in the country. The school to be inaugurated with 10 transgenders by transgender rights activist and artist Kalki Subramaniam in Kochi on December 30, 2016. The school will be led by six transgenders working with the TransIndia Foundation. It will provide education and examination equivalent to Class X and XII.
- Which among the following words have been included in the Oxford English Dictionary’s December update among the 500 new words in?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – D.Brexit
A political term Brexit, YouTuber, glam-ma, tombstoning and rag-doll are among the 500 new words added in the Oxford English Dictionary which is updated four times a year in March, June, September and December
- Who has been honored with the Global Agriculture Leadership Award 2016 by ICFA on December 15, 2016?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – C.Ratan Tata
The Global Agriculture Leadership Award 2016 was awarded to Tata Sons interim Chairman Ratan Tata by pioneer of India’s Green Revolution M.S. Swaminathan in Mumbai by Indian Council of Food and Agriculture (ICFA) on December 15, 2016.The award was presented for his transformational role in scaling Tata Group as the globally admired group during his stint of two decades as Chairman.
- Name the Indian-American who has been appointed as the member of Civil Nuclear Trade Advisory Committee of the US Department of Commerce on December 16, 2016.
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – A.Vijay Sazawal
Indian-American Vijay Sazawal along with 38 members were appointed to the Civil Nuclear Trade Advisory Committee of the US Department of Commerce by US Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker on December 16, 2016.Sazawal is the only Indian-American in the advisory committee. He is an expert in India-US civil nuclear deal.
- Vijay Diwas (Victory Day) is observed on?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – B.December 16
Explanation: India celebrates the 45th Anniversary of the win of the Indian Army in the Indo-Pak war on December 16, 1971.The aim of the day is to pay tributes to the martyrs who laid down their lives for the nation
- Name the women cricketer who has become the first player to win both, ICC Women’s ODI as well as T20I Player of the Year awards 2016.
C.Suzannah Wilson Bates
Answer & ExplanationAnswer – C.Suzannah Wilson Bates
New Zealand cricketer Suzannah Wilson Bates became the first woman cricketer to win both the ICC Women’s ODI and T20I Player of the Year awards. Bates was selected based on performances between September 14, 2015 and September 20, 2016.She scored 472 runs in eight ODIs at an average of just over 94.
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification