AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 5 November 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- In which state did the Energy Efficiency Bureau (PEE) launch the ‘Go Electric’ campaign to set up 400 electric vehicle charging stations?
3) Andhra Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Andhra Pradesh
The Andhra Pradesh (AP) Government has decided to set up 400 Electric Vehicle (EV) charging stations across the state to promote the usage of electric vehicles. The EV stations will be built under the first phase of the “Go Electric” Campaign.
The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) launched the ‘Go Electric’ campaign in AP in coordination with APSECM (Andhra Pradesh State Energy Conservation Mission).
- Union Minister for Earth Science (MoES), Harsh Vardhan released the report “Estimating the Economic Benefits of Investment in National Monsoon Mission (NMM) and High-Performance Computing (HPC) Facilities”. Who prepared the Report?
1) Investment Information and Credit Rating Agency
2) National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER)
3) Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations
4) Sardar Patel Institute of Economic & Social Research
5) National Institute of Agricultural Economics and Policy Research (NIAP)
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER)
Union Minister for Earth Science (MoES), Harsh Vardhan released the report “Estimating the Economic Benefits of Investment in National Monsoon Mission (NMM) and High-Performance Computing (HPC) Facilities” prepared by National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) at a function at Prithvi Bhavan, New Delhi. The report was commissioned by MoES.
The report states that for every rupee spent by Government on NMM and HPC programs of MoES, Country gains economic benefits worth Fifty rupees, which is 50 times more benefit on investment over the next Five Years Period. The report refers to economic benefits as direct monetary gains to crop farmers, livestock rearers, and fishermen in the country. With an initial investment of ~ INR 1000 crores, NMM and HPC facilities have shown a 50-fold increase in their economic benefits.
- Where did archaeologist of India and Canada found evidence of dairy production in the Indus Valley Civilization in a recent study (October 2020)?
1) Siswal, Haryana
2) Sothi, Uttar Pradesh
3) Kotada Bhadli, Gujarat
4) Kalibangan, Rajasthan
5) Manda, Jammu & Kashmir
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Kotada Bhadli, Gujarat
The research of archaeologist of India and Canada found evidence of dairy production in the Indus Valley Civilization. The research discovered that dairy was produced and processed by the Harappans back in 2500 BCE. The study was carried out on 59 shards of pottery from the archaeological site in Kotada Bhadli, Gujarat.
The team found traces of residues that provide evidence of dairy product processing by the Harappans which shed light on the rural economy of the civilisation. Techniques like C16 and C18 analysis were used to identify the source of lipids which were preserved by the porous pots.
- Name the Financial Services Company which has deployed the world’s 1st live PCI certified Tap to Phone card acceptance solution in partnership DigitSecure and HDFC Bank.
3) American Express
5) Citi Mastercard
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Visa
Visa in partnership with DigitSecure and HDFC Bank deployed the world’s 1st live PCI certified Tap to Phone card acceptance solution.
Objective– To accept safe contactless card payments in seconds through an app on their Near-Field Communication (NFC)-enabled Android smartphones, without the need of any dedicated card acceptance machines.
- Who has signed an agreement with Care Health Insurance Company Limited as Corporate Agent for Health Insurance Products?
1) Ujjivan Small Finance Bank
2) Suryoday Small Finance Bank
3) Janalakshmi Small Finance Bank
4) AU Small Finance Bank
5) Utkarsh Small Finance Bank
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) AU Small Finance Bank
AU Small Finance Bank Ltd signed an agreement with Care Health Insurance Company Limited (formerly known as ‘Religare Health Insurance Company Limited’) as Corporate Agent for Health Insurance Products.
In terms of business, market penetration and reach, this partnership will be mutually beneficial for the bank and insurance company.
Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) issued certificate of registration CA0515 under Registration of Corporate Agents – Regulations, 2015 to the bank.
- Name the flagship campaign launched by National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) offering its users compelling benefits and attractive discounts this festive season (November 2020).
1) UPI Chalega
2) Home Utsav
3) RuPay Festive Carnival
4) Festival Carnival
5) Festival Dhamal
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) RuPay Festive Carnival
In order to cheer the customers in a new way this festive season, the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) launched, ‘RuPay Festive Carnival’, a flagship campaign for RuPay users. The RuPay users with this launch can enjoy compelling benefits and attractive discounts on products of various categories.
Aim– To encourage safe, contactless and cashless payments and offer a new way to enhance the user’s overall shopping experience.
- Which Bank approved a USD 132.8 million loan to Modernize Power Distribution Network in Meghalaya?
1) World Bank
2) Asian Development Bank (ADB)
3) New Development Bank (BRICS Bank)
4) Asia Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
5) European Central Bank
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Asian Development Bank (ADB)
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) approved a USD 132.8 million loan to Modernize Power Distribution Network in Meghalaya.
To improve power quality and upgrade the power distribution network in Meghalaya. The loan will be increased by a USD 2 million grant from the Japan Fund for Poverty Reduction of ADB.
- India provided a cheque of what amount to Nepal for Housing Reconstruction Project?
1) NPR (Nepalese Rupee) 1 Million
2) NPR (Nepalese Rupee) 2 Billion
3) NPR (Nepalese Rupee) 500 million
4) NPR (Nepalese Rupee) 1 Billion
5) NPR (Nepalese Rupee) 1.5 Billion
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) NPR (Nepalese Rupee) 1 Billion
Indian Ambassador to Nepal, Vinay Mohan Kwatra handed over a cheque of NPR (Nepalese Rupee) 1 Billion (~ INR 62.5 Crores) to Bishnu Prasad Paudel, Finance Minister of Nepal as reimbursement of Nepal Housing Reconstruction Project.
- Indian Railways partnered with ___________ to improve its operational efficiency using digital tools.
5) Indian School of Business (ISB)
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Indian School of Business (ISB)
Indian Railways (IR) has tied up with Indian School of Business (ISB), Hyderabad to improve its operational efficiency using digital tools such as Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Data Analytics. Indian School of Business will analyse the data generated by the Indian Railways.IR is planning to set up a Centre for Excellence on AI and Data Analytics in the next 3 months.
- TRIFED signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the JD Center of Arts (JDCA) for collaboration on joint socio-cultural research work and anthropological study of tribal art and tradition. Who is MD of TRIFED?
1) Praveen Krishna
2) Jatin das
3) Pravir Krishna
4) Arjun Munda
5) Prasidh Krishna
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Pravir Krishna
The Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the JD Center of Arts (JDCA) for collaboration on joint socio-cultural research work and anthropological study of tribal art and tradition in the tribal dominated regions of India.
The Collaboration is aimed to preserve the arts, crafts and traditions of the tribal communities. Pravir Krishna, MD of TRIFED and Jatin Das Founder and Chairman of JD Centre of Arts signed the MoU over a virtual ceremony.
- Which agency has provided 3 million USD (around Rs.22 Crore) over 2 years to Catalyst Management Services (CMS) to support the CAC (COVIDAction Collab) partnership?
1) United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)
2) United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
3) World Health Organisation (WHO)
4) United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
5) World Bank
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
Catalyst Management Services (CMS), a part of Catalysts Group ideated COVID Action Collaborative (CAC – COVIDAction Collab), partnered with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) over a virtual event to support the COVID-19 response of India.
USAID has provided 3 million USD (around Rs.22 Crore) over 2 years to support the CAC (COVIDAction Collab) partnership. The USAID fund will be utilised to provide support in health, livelihood and social protection for the vulnerable communities.
- Who has become 2nd Indian to be elected to the Board of International Dairy Federation (IDF)?
1) PVG Menon
2) Dilip Rath
3) Rajiv Jalota
4) Bimal Julka
5) Rohan Jaitly
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Dilip Rath
During the General Assembly of International Dairy Federation (IDF), Dilip Rath, Chairman of National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) was unanimously elected to the Board of IDF. He is the 2nd Indian to become part of the board of IDF.
Dr Amrita Patel, former chairman of NDDB, had become the 1st Indian and 1st women to be elected to the board in December 2010.
- President John Pombe Magufuli of the Chama Cha Mapinduzi (CCM) party won the 2nd term as the President of which of the following country?
5) Ivory Coast
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Tanzania
President John Pombe Magufuli of the Chama Cha Mapinduzi (CCM) party won the 2nd term as the President of Tanzania with his landslide victory in the 2020 presidential election held on 28th October 2020 with 12.5 million votes i.e., 84% of the turnout vote. The swearing in ceremony of this 2nd term will be held on 5th November 2020.
- Who led the Indian delegation in annual political dialogue between India and Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) (November)?
1) Narendra Modi
2) Rajnath singh
3) S Jaishankar
4) Nirmala Sitharaman
5) Dharmendra Pradhan
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) S Jaishankar
India and Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Troika held their annual political dialogue in Virtual mode. The leaders discussed the detailed review of India-GCC ties and highlighted the progress in ties in the past years. Dr. S. Jaishankar, Union Minister of External Affairs led the Indian delegation and the GCC was represented at the Troika level by Dr. Nayef Falah M. Al-Hajraf, Secretary General of GCC, Dr. Abdullatif bin Rashid Al Zayani, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Bahrain and Dr. Anwar bin Mohammed Gargash, Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, United Arab Emirates(UAE). External Affairs Minister (EAM) urged the members of GCC to ease the return of Indian workers and professionals through sustainable travel arrangements.
- India hosted ______ Meeting of the India-UAE (United Arab Emirates) High Level Joint Task Force on Investments (the Joint Task Force) virtually on November3,2020.
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) 8th
India hosted the 8th Meeting of the India-UAE (United Arab Emirates) High Level Joint Task Force on Investments (the Joint Task Force) virtually due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
The meeting was co-chaired by Piyush Goyal, Union Minister of Railways, Commerce & Industry and Consumer Affairs and Public Distribution, Government of India and His Highness Sheikh Hamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Member of the Executive Council of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. Both countries agreed to further explore ways to facilitate investments in key sectors of India and UAE in order to strengthen the economic ties between the 2 countries.
- The First Committee of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) under the chairmanship of Sacha Llorenty adopted two India-sponsored resolutions recently (November). Name the First Committee of the UNGA.
1) Economic & Financial Committee
2) Administrative & Budgetary
3) Social, Humanitarian and Cultural
4) Special Political & Decolonization
5) Disarmament and International Security Committee
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Disarmament and International Security Committee
The First Committee of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) also known as the Disarmament and International Security Committee under the chairmanship of Sacha Llorenty adopted two India-sponsored resolutions on Nuclear Disarmament which aims to reduce risk of nuclear accidents and calls for prohibition on use of nuclear weapons.
The two adopted Resolutions are:
1. ‘Convention on Prohibition of Use of Nuclear Weapons’.
2. ‘Reducing Nuclear Danger’ under ‘Nuclear Weapons’ cluster.United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) committees are as listed below-
First Committee (Disarmament & International Security)
Second Committee (Economic & Financial)
Third Committee (Social, Humanitarian & Cultural)
Fourth Committee (Special Political & Decolonization)
Fifth Committee (Administrative & Budgetary)
Sixth Committee (Legal)
- Which company has designed & built Indian Coast Guard ship ‘C-452’, commissioned recently at Ratnagiri,Maharashtra?
1) Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd., GRSE
2) Larsen & Toubro (L&T)
3) Goa Shipyard Ltd
4) Hindustan Shipyard Ltd
5) Mazagon Dock Ltd
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Larsen & Tubro (L&T)
Western Seaboard Commander Additional Director General (ADG), Rajan Bargotra virtually commissioned the Indian Coast Guard Ship ‘C-452’ at Ratnagiri, Maharashtra. It is the 52nd ship in the series of 54 Interceptor Boats. This will be the fifth ship/boat under administrative control of ICGS Ratnagiri, and third of its type at Ratnagiri. It has been designed and indigenously built by Larsen & Toubro (L&T) Shipyard Limited in Surat, Gujarat.
- Marlon Samuel announced retirement from all forms of Cricket. He represented which of the following cricket teams?
4) South Africa
5) West Indies
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) West Indies
West Indies Batsman Marlon Nathaniel Samuel announced retirement from all forms of Cricket at the age of 39. He is a Right-hand Batsmen and a Right-arm off break bowler.
He has played 71 Tests, 207 One Day Internationals (ODIs), and 67 Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is) for West Indies scoring 11, 134 international runs and has picked up 152 wickets across all formats. Samuels has played in several T20 Franchises around the world, which includes Pune Warriors, Delhi Daredevils in Indian Premier League (IPL), and Melbourne Renegades in Big Bash League (BBL).
- Who penned the Book titled “The Age of Pandemic (1817-1920): How they Shaped India And the World”?
1) Tamal Bandyopadhyay
2) Randeep Guleria
3) Gagandeep Kang
4) Chinmay Tumbe
5) Chandrakant Lahariya
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Chinmay Tumbe
Chinmay Tumbe’s 2nd book titled “The Age of Pandemic (1817-1920): How they Shaped India And the World” the book argues that the period between 1817 and 1920 as the age of Pandemic which claimed around 70 million lives, with India as the epicentre.
The book is published by HarperCollins India and is set to publish in December 2020.
- In a recent survey by the Zoological Survey of India, Scientists predicted a massive decline in habitat suitable for which species by 2050?
1) Polar Bear
2) Himalayan Brown Bear
4) Asian Elephant
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Himalayan Brown Bear
The Zoological Survey of India in its recent study and report on Himalayan Brown Bear states that the suitable habitat for the brown bear in the biological corridors is declining.
The study states that the habitat of Himalayan Brown Bear will decline from 73.38% to 72.87% by 2050. Belts, where the brown bears are inhabited, are getting warmer than the other zones of Himalayas. This decline will impact 13 protected areas. Out of these 13 protected areas, eight will become completely uninhabitable by 2050. The Himalayan Brown Bear was considered for study as it is the top carnivore in the Himalayan region.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Dal Lake located?
1) Himachal Pradesh
3) Jammu & Kashmir
4) Arunachal Pradesh
5) Madhya Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Jammu & Kashmir
Dal is a lake in Srinagar (Dal Lake is a misnomer as Dal in Kashmiri means lake), the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir. The urban lake, is integral to tourism and recreation in Kashmir and is named the “Jewel in the crown of Kashmir” or “Srinagar’s Jewel”.
The Jammu and Kashmir administration has taken the responsibility to beautify the Shalimar-Dal Lake water channel which was in pathetic condition from past few years. The poor condition arose as all the waste materials including deadly polythene were thrown into the channel.
- Krishnapatnam Port is located in which of the following states?
3) Andhra Pradesh
5) Tamil Nadu
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Andhra Pradesh
Krishnapatnam Port popularly known as KPCL is a privately built and owned all weather, deep water port on the east coast of India, located in the Nellore District of Andhra Pradesh. It is located about 190 km north of the Chennai Port and 18 km east of the city of Nellore.
- Where is Kurnool Ultra Mega Solar Park?
1) Andhra Pradesh
5) Tamil Nadu
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Andhra Pradesh
Kurnool Ultra Mega Solar Park is a solar park spread over a total area of 5,932.32 acres in Panyam mandal of Kurnool district, Andhra Pradesh, with a capacity of 1,000 MW.
- Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport is located in which state?
1) Uttar Pradesh
2) Madhya Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Uttar Pradesh
Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport is an international airport serving Lucknow, the capital of the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It is situated in the Amausi area of the city, and was earlier known as Amausi Airport.
The Airports Authority of India (AAI) on November 1, 2020 handed over the Lucknow airport to the Adani group on lease for a period of 50 years. The central government in February 2019 privatised six major airports of the country — Lucknow, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Mangaluru, Thiruvananthapuram, and Guwahati. After a competitive bidding process, the Adani group won the rights to run all of them for 50 years.
- Where is the headquarters of Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC)?
5) Saudi Arabia
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Saudi Arabia
Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) is a political and economic alliance of 6 countries in the Arabian Peninsula, headquartered in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The 6 members are Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Secretary General– Dr. Nayef Falah M. Al-Hajraf
Established in– 1981