AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 24 & 25 May 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Union minister Prakash Javadekar has launched Biodiversity Samrakshan Internship Programme recently. The programme was conducted by National Biodiversity Authority (NBA) and which world organisation?
1) World Bank (WB)
2) International Labour Organization (ILO)
3) United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
4) United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
5) United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
The Union Environment, Forest, and Climate Change Minister Prakash Javadekar launched the National Biodiversity Authority (NBA) and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Biodiversity Samrakshan Internship Programme which proposes to engage 20 students with postgraduate degrees for a period of one year through an open, transparent, online competitive process.
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and New Delhi based Wildlife Crime Control Bureau has launched Campaign on Illegal Trafficking of Endangered Species: ‘Not all Animals Migrate by Choice’ recently. Where is HQ of UNEP located?
4) New Delhi
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Nairobi
The virtual event also saw the launch of the Campaign on Illegal Trafficking of Endangered Species: ‘Not all Animals Migrate by Choice’ by theNairobi based United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and New Delhi based Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB). Its aim is to address the environmental challenges, raise awareness, and to advocate solutions as illegal trade in wildlife carries the risk of spreading dangerous pandemics.
- Name the Indian state which has launched ‘ReStart’ programme to support MSME sector in the state?
3) Andhra Pradesh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Andhra Pradesh
Andhra Pradesh(AP)’s Chief Minister(CM) Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy has launched Rs 1,110 crores ‘ReStart’ a new programme to support & boost the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) sector in the State.
- Name the company which has partnered with Cholamandalam Investment and Finance Company Limited (CIFCL) to launch ‘Buy Now Pay Later’ financing scheme.
1) Maruti Suzuki India
2) BMW India
3) Honda Motors
4) TVS Motors
5) Mahindra India
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Maruti Suzuki India
Maruti Suzuki India Limited has joined hands with the Cholamandalam Investment and Finance Company Limited (CIFCL) to launch ‘Buy Now Pay Later’ financing scheme to make the purchase of its cars even more convenient.
- Edelweiss General Insurance company launched ‘Edelweiss SWITCH’, an app-based motor insurance OD floater policy recently. What is the abbreviation of OD?
1) On Demand
2) On destiny
3) Out of Damage
4) Out Dated
5) Own Damage
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Own Damage
Edelweiss General Insurance launched ‘Edelweiss SWITCH’, an app-based motor insurance own damage (OD) floater policy under IRDAI’s sandbox regulations. This driver-based motor insurance allows the owners of the vehicles to cover multiple vehicles in a single policy.
- ICICI bank has introduced a special fixed deposit (FD) scheme for senior citizens called ‘ICICI Bank Golden Years FD’ recently. Who is the MD&CEO of ICICI bank?
1) Girish Chandra Chaturvedi
2) Sandeep Bakhshi
3) Rana Kapoor
4) Aditya Puri
5) Pradeep Kumar
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Sandeep Bakhshi
The Private sector ICICI bank has introduced a special fixed deposit (FD) scheme for senior citizens called ‘ICICI Bank Golden Years FD’ which offers an interest rate of 6.55% per annum(p.a) for deposits up to Rs 2 crores with a tenure of more than 5 years to 10 years. It is applicable for resident Indians & is available from May 20 to September 30, 2020.Sandeep Bakhshi is the MD and CEO of ICICI.
- Who has been appointed as the new chief economist and vice president of world bank group with effect from June 15, 2020?
1) Carmen Reinhart
2) Makhtar Diop
3) Alison Evans
4) Gita Gopinath
5) Akihiko Nishio
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Carmen Reinhart
The World Bank named former Bear Stearns executive Carmen Reinhart as its new Vice President (VP) and chief economist, tapping an expert on financial crises who also serves on the advisory board of the New York Federal Reserve. Reinhart’s appointment is effective on June 15, 2020.
- Jahnabi Phookan was appointed as National President of FICCI Ladies Organization (FLO). Where is the HQ of FICCI located?
5) New Delhi
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) New Delhi
Jahnabi Phookan was appointed as the 37th National President of Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) Ladies Organization (FLO). She took over the position from Harjinder Kaur Talwar at the 36th FLO session in the presence of Om Birla, Lok Sabha Speaker. She was the founder member and founder Vice Chairperson of FLO North East chapter in 2007. The HQ of FICCI located at New Delhi.
- Name the Indian economist who has been appointed to a key position on Climate change and disaster management in South Asia by the World Bank.
1) Kaushik Basu
2) Jagdish Bhagwati
3) Abhas Jha
4) Arvind Subramanian
5) Jayati Ghosh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Abhas Jha
Abhas Jha, Indian economist was appointed to a key position on Climate change and disaster management in South Asia by the World Bank. Previously He served as the Practice Manager for Urban Development and Disaster Risk Management in East Asia and Pacific region.
- The Khudol initiative of which Indian state/UT is among the top 10 global initiatives announced by UN for an inclusive fight against the COVID-19.
4) West Bengal
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Manipur
Jayathma Wickramanayake of Sri Lanka, United Nations (UN) Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth, has listed Khudol (gift),a crowdfunded initiative of Imphal (Manipur) based NGO Ya_All, among the top 10 global initiatives for an inclusive fight against the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.Khudol aims to provide food, health and hygiene of the LGBTQI+ community, people living with HIV,children and adolescents.
- Name the person who has become world’s highest paid female athlete as per Forbes.
1) Serena Williams
2) PV Sindhu
3) Suzie Bates
4) Naomi Osaka
5) Maria Sharapova
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Naomi Osaka
Japanese tennis star Naomi Osaka, 22 years old, became the highest paid female athlete in the world, topping American great Serena Williams. Osaka has been ranked No.1 by the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA). The complete Forbes list, due to be released next week.
- World Wide Fund (WWF) India with which ministry has launched first-of-its-kind digital Model Conference of Parties 2020 (MCOP-1)?
1) Ministry of Science and Technology
2) Ministry of Earth Science
3) Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
4) Ministry of Tribal Affairs
5) Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
Sh. Prakash Javadekar inaugurated the first-of-its-kind digital Model Conference of Parties 2020 (MCOP-1) to involve the younger generation in conversations around the impact of humanity’s footprint on biodiversity and also the importance of sustenance of biodiversity for our own survival. It was conducted by World Wide Fund (WWF) India, in partnership with MoEFCC (Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change), NBA, UNEP and UNDP on May 22 and 23, as part of the International Day for Biological Diversity.
- Name the person who headed the 9-member panel formed by IRDAI which recommends increase in indemnity provided to the policyholders under Trade Credit Insurance (TCI) from existing 85% to 90%.
1) Atul Sahai
2) Subash Chandra
3) Uday Kotak
4) Ajay Tyagi
5) Tapan Roy
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-1) Atul Sahai
Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) formulated nine-member expert panel headed by New India Assurance (NIA) Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) Atul Sahai has recommended an increase in indemnity (protection against finances) being provided to the policyholders under Trade Credit Insurance (TCI) from existing 85% of the trade receivables from each buyer to 90%.
- The central government (Health and Family Welfare ministry) has formed 11-member committee to “simplify and expedite” the drug approval process in India. Who is the chairman of the committee?
1) UK Sinha
2) Rajesh Bhushan
3) V K Pauk
4) K Vijay Raghavan
5) V G Somani
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Rajesh Bhushan
The centre has constituted a 11-member high-level committee to “simplify and expedite” the drug approval process in India. The committee chaired by Rajesh Bhushan, Officer on Special Duty, Ministry of Health was set up by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare(MoHFW) on May 11 as a measure to reform the drug regulatory system in India.
- Find the company which has signed agreement to acquire 24% stake in Indian Railway Station Development Corporation (IRSDC).
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) RITES
Infrastructure consultancy and engineering company RITES (Rail India Technical and Economic Service) has signed an agreement for acquiring 24% stake in Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation (IRSDC) for Rs 48 crore. IRSDC, a joint venture of Rail Land Development Authority (RLDA) and IRCON International is tasked with redeveloping railway stations across the country.
- Institute of Advanced Study in Science and Technology (IASST) has developed an electrochemical sensing platform to detect carcinogenic or mutagenic compounds in food items. Where is IASST located?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Guwahati
The Guwahati, Assam based Institute of Advanced Study in Science and Technology(IASST) has developed an electrochemical sensing platform to detect carcinogenic or mutagenic compound N-nitrosodimethylamine(NDMA) and N-nitrosodiethanolamine(NDEA) that are found in food items like cured meat, bacon, some cheese, and low-fat milk.
- Footballer Aritz Aduriz who announced retirement recently belongs to which country?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Spain
Spanish footballer, athletic Bilbao striker Artiz Aduriz announced his retirement at the age of 39 after finding out that he requires prosthetic hip replacement surgery.
- Ashley John Cooper who passed away recently is associated with which sports?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Tennis
Famous Australian Tennis player Ashley John Cooper, passed away at the age of 83 in Sydney, Australia. Cooper, the former Ranked No.1 player, won 8 Grand Slam titles- 4 Grand Slam singles and 4 Grand Slam doubles titles. He was born on September 15, 1936, in Melbourne, Australia.
- When was the World turtle day (WTD) observed annually?
1) May 21
2) May 25
3) May 24
4) May 23
5) May 22
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) May 23
May 23 of every year is celebrated as World Turtle day since 2000 by the American Tortoise Rescue(ATR), a non-profit organisation, to celebrate and protect the turtles, tortoises and their habitats which is now celebrated throughout the world in the countries like United States, Canada, Pakistan, India, Australia and others.
- International Day to End Obstetric Fistula is observed every year on ______.
1) April 18
2) June 17
3) May 23
4) August 20
5) July 19
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) May 23
International Day to End Obstetric Fistula is observed every year on May 23 globally to significantly raise awareness and intensify actions towards ending obstetric fistula, as well as urging post-surgery follow-up and tracking of fistula patients. The day was organized by the UN (United Nations). Theme for the year 2020: “End gender inequality! End health inequities! End Fistula now!”.
- The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology has launched seven services of India Meteorological Department on which app?
4) Incredible India
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) UMANG
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has launched seven services of India Meteorological Department (IMD) on the Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance (UMANG) App to further enhance the online delivery of Government services. The seven services are Current Weather, Nowcast, City Forecast, Rainfall Information, Tourism Forecast, Warnings, Cyclone.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- The Baltic countries have opened their borders to each other, creating ‘travel bubble’ to boost economy recently. Which among the following are Baltic Countries?
4) Both 1) and 2)
5) All the 1), 2) and 3)
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) All the 1), 2) and 3)
The Baltic countries of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania on Friday started what is being referred to as a ‘travel bubble’ to help put their economies back on track post-Covid lockdowns. With the pandemic throwing both international and domestic trade and travel out of gear since earlier this year, such ‘travel bubbles’ are now being recommended to keep at least parts of the global economy afloat.
- Where is the HQ of Aditya Birla sun life Mutual Fund located?
2) New Delhi
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-3) Mumbai
The Mumbai based Aditya Birla Sun Life Mutual Fund has temporarily suspended fresh inflows into two of its credit risk and medium term funds from recently. The two schemes are Aditya Birla Sun Life Medium Term Plan (ABMTP) and Aditya Birla Sun Life Credit Risk Fund (ACRF).
- What is the capital and currency of Australia?
1) Sydney & Dollar
2) Melbourne & Dollar
3) Wellington & Dollar
4) Canberra & Dollar
5) Johannesburg & Dollar
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-4) Canberra & Dollar
The capital and currency of Australia is Canberra and Australian Dollar respectively.
- Who is the CM of Manipur?
1) Hemant Soren
2) Neiphiu Rio
3) Pema Khandu
4) Sarbananda Sonowal
5) Biren Singh
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-5) Biren Singh
N. Biren Singh is the CM of Manipur.
- What is the capital of Spain?
Answer & ExplanationAnswer-2) Madrid
The capital and currency of Spain is Madrid and Euro respectively.